Covid-19

JCon

31 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Thanks for the article- kind of frightening, but very interesting.

They made mention of one of @J5V's web sources:

"It has been widely reported that on March 12, Zhao Lijian, a senior spokesperson for China’s foreign ministry, began circulating an insinuation that the U.S. military somehow smuggled the coronavirus into Wuhan. In subsequent posts, Zhao directed his Twitter followers to Montreal’s Centre for Research on Globalization—a crank website notorious for trafficking in outlandish “anti-imperialist” conspiracy theories—which had been circulating the claim. The ministry’s senior spokesperson, Hua Chunying, followed suit, as did several Chinese “news” organizations and diplomats."

Gosh, someone that disagrees with me or disagrees with a source I may have quoted. What a surprise. You may have noticed that anyone willing to consider all arguments, no matter how extreme, and/or questions the main stream media's take on things, because, y'know, they'd never lie to us, is always labeled as a crank or a conspiracy theorist. It's an old ploy that I am immune to. A wise man, one much wiser than I, once told me that if I say something and everyone agrees with me, I should be wary. "You are either wrong or lying or both". 

Edited by J5V

25 minutes ago, J5V said:

Gosh, someone that disagrees with me or disagrees with a source I may have quoted. What a surprise. You may have noticed that anyone willing to consider all arguments, no matter how extreme, and/or questions the main stream media's take on things, because, y'know, they'd never lie to us, is always labeled as a crank or a conspiracy theorist. It's an old ploy that I am immune to. A wise man, one much wiser than I, once told me that if I say something and everyone agrees with me, I should be wary. "You are either wrong or lying or both". 

I used to read GR in the early 2010s then I found too many factual inaccuracies and couldn't find anything other than cherry picked and manipulated data and opinion pieces masked as factual reporting and studies... 

It's a crank website. Trust me, I used to frequent that site.

And yes, I have considered the links and info you have posted... weighed it against other sources and dismissed them because they are so out to lunch.

Now if a website continues to churn out misinformation... it gains a reputation.... and at a certain point, it's safe to say that it is a crank website.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

I think most of those new cases are in the senior's home - Betel in Gimli... at least 9 cases there... close to my hometown

Not true. All 9 tests of Betel home patients came back negative. While they are suffering from a respiratory illness it is not Covid19. 

PHC in Manitoba are doing an incredible job of keeping this tour of their facilities. 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

For the millionth time, because this is a new virus that spreads ******* fast! The flu has been around forever and doesn't overload the health care system. That's what we are trying to accomplish here, save lives by  not having to choose who lives and who dies because we don't have enough resources to handle everyone getting sick at once. 

Do you practice being wrong because you're sure good at it. 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/hospitals-overwhelmed-by-surge-of-flu-cases/article562037/

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/12/health/flu-surveillance-cdc/index.html

https://time.com/5107984/hospitals-handling-burden-flu-patients/

https://www.patriotledger.com/news/20200114/flu-cases-overwhelm-south-shore-hospital-emergency-room

Edited by J5V
I threw in a Canadian source as well

43 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Yes, I am aware of that, thank you.

My point is, they probably won't loosen the isolation restrictions until summer break, so that they don't have to reopen schools until September. 

Yeah, I'm aware of it too as I'm a school bus driver. March 14th was my last day.  Schools will probably not reopen until September.  Alberta has closed until September. So has BC. No way they reopen in Ontario or Quebec with their Covid 19 numbers so other provinces will probably follow suit to keep things the same across Canada.  Ontario is optimistically looking at May 1st to reopen but that's not realistic knowing what we know now.  If the pandemic recedes they may loosen restrictions in the warmer summer months but there is a concern of a second wave in the fall & into the winter. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I used to read GR in the early 2010s then I found too many factual inaccuracies and couldn't find anything other than cherry picked and manipulated data and opinion pieces masked as factual reporting and studies... 

It's a crank website. Trust me, I used to frequent that site.

And yes, I have considered the links and info you have posted... weighed it against other sources and dismissed them because they are so out to lunch.

Now if a website continues to churn out misinformation... it gains a reputation.... and at a certain point, it's safe to say that it is a crank website.

So, just like virtually all main stream media outlets then?  😉 

24 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Fair point. I, too, dismiss a lot of what I read as nonsense or worse. You definitely have to have a filter and still try not to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Ofcourse Covid will be over and gone by May.  The flu was defeated and no longer exists.  All viruses are defeated in three months.  Don’t listen to health experts or government officials. What do they know.  Listen to Crazy Ike on YouTube. He knows. 

Anyway. In Covid news. 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

5 hours ago, Floyd said:

So - as of right now - Coronavirus in Canada already looks flattened...  lockdown seemed to work pretty quickly

1% of cases are critical and 0.017% have been fatal - deaths spiked around March 16-22 but then dropped back down and are not increasing exponentially

It really seems like we do not  have the population density for this virus to overwhelm our entire country

Canada should be able to re-open by Easter if these numbers hold - but I doubt we will - panic has taken hold

Again as of right now - JV5 seems to have a point about the flu v. covid - why don't we care that flu kills up to 650,000 people globally each year... is it just because its mostly in poor countries?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/canada/

Forgot to multiply by 100 on your death rate.

18 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Ofcourse Covid will be over and gone by May.  The flu was defeated and no longer exists.  All viruses are defeated in three months.  Don’t listen to health experts or government officials. What do they know.  Listen to Crazy Ike on YouTube. He knows. 

Anyway. In Covid news. 

The scary thing for the US is that Trump is taking almost all his information from Fox News and regurgitating it word for word. Apparently commercial distributors in the US are buying up as much of the critical supplies as possible, marking them up substantially and then essentially selling them to the highest state bidders. It is the free enterprise system at its worst. 

Religion cannot protect you...

Over 70 members of a  Sacramento, California, Pentecostal megachurch have been diagnosed with the coronavirus.
One church in Sacramento County is now the epicenter of a major outbreak of coronavirus, and frustrated county officials say church leaders are refusing to listen to their demands to stop fellowship meetings.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2020/04/sacramento-pentecostal-megachurch-linked-to-over-70-coronavirus-cases/ 

And that’s just one congregation..

1 minute ago, Mr Dee said:

Religion cannot protect you...

Over 70 members of a  Sacramento, California, Pentecostal megachurch have been diagnosed with the coronavirus.
One church in Sacramento County is now the epicenter of a major outbreak of coronavirus, and frustrated county officials say church leaders are refusing to listen to their demands to stop fellowship meetings.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2020/04/sacramento-pentecostal-megachurch-linked-to-over-70-coronavirus-cases/ 

And that’s just one congregation..

Frustrated? Throw the asshat pastors in jail.  Give them long prison sentences. 

3 hours ago, GCJenks said:

Not true. All 9 tests of Betel home patients came back negative. While they are suffering from a respiratory illness it is not Covid19. 

PHC in Manitoba are doing an incredible job of keeping this tour of their facilities. 

Fk that’s great news - I hadn’t heard that yet!!

4 hours ago, GCJenks said:

Incredible news - considering that a worker did test positive - truly amazing. 

The health body (W.H.O.) defined an “infodemic” as an “an over-abundance of information – some accurate and some not – that makes it hard for people to find trustworthy sources and reliable guidance when they need it.”

In response to the spread of misinformation, the WHO put together a team to track myths and rumours about the virus and dispel them with facts.

Social media platforms, such as Facebook, Google, and Twitter, have also been aiding in the effort to contain the spread of inaccurate information by removing such content from their sites and promoting trustworthy sources.

An example:

Myth:    Wearing a mask will protect against infection.

Facts:

The WHO only advises those with symptoms of COVID-19, particularly coughing, or those who will be in direct contact with someone who may have the virus to wear a mask. What’s more, the health body said disposable face masks can only be used once and shouldn’t be worn over and over again.

“If you are not ill or looking after someone who is ill then you are wasting a mask. There is a world-wide shortage of masks, so WHO urges people to use masks wisely,” the organization said on its website.

6 hours ago, J5V said:

Who are you arguing with and what are you arguing? 

That wasn't directed at you, just a general statement. Sorry

As for what you said about Singapore, their measures are easily more extreme than ours, with exception to businesses staying open.

They aren't under lockdown, but neither are we. The expert in the article states that countries are going to have adopt Singapore's measures in addition to a lockdown in order to keep citizens safe. He also warns that herd immunity requires too many people to be exposed to the virus, and therefore, we should wait until a vaccine is available.

Your article proves the opposite of what you are trying to say. It's saying we need to do more, not less.

Edited by AtlanticRiderFan