Covid-19

JCon

28 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If true there is no sports or concerts or large scale gatherings until there is a vaccine.  Which could be over a year from now.  

Obviously stabilizing the health and safety of all people is priority one but I did not realize how much my life revolved around sports until it was taken away.  When times got tough my default coping resource was always humor and sport. I know there is way more things we need to focus on right now but having no sports is suffocating. 

15 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If true there is no sports or concerts or large scale gatherings until there is a vaccine.  Which could be over a year from now.  

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out, many sports could survive on broadcast and sponsorship revenue alone if they had to, which should increase dramatically if no one is allowed to congregate to view the actual event, viewership should go up through the roof.  Sports organizations may have to reduce their costs initially to adjust by reducing salaries, but in time costs should balance out with revenues. 

I think it's viable to ensure that say 200 participants (football) are not infected with the Covid virus in order to stage an event, even if all involved are examined on a weekly basis.   I expect the UFC will lead the way in staging the first "virtual event" of this kind with their upcoming fight card, all they need to do is stage the event on a closed set and reap the broadcast revenue.  Hopefully what I'm suggesting is only a temporary fix but if leagues want to survive and remain viable short-term they may have to consider these options.

And in related news, the captain of USS Roosevelt, a US Navy ship, went public a couple of days ago because he had 100 COVID cases on his ship and was getting no help for his people. The Secretary of the the Navy (and Trump toady) leaped into action like a tiger and removed the captain. He left the ship today to a standing salute and applause from his entire complement. He left with his honour intact.

1 hour ago, pigseye said:

Dear God, promise me you will never go into politics because if you do, we are all doomed. 

well i gave you an example of a tax cut not keeping businesses around, you got any examples handy of businesses leaving specifically because of their tax burden? 

We've been trying trickle down economics for a while now and all it's gotten is a widening gap between the 1% and the rest of the population and an ever shrinking middle class. So go on, tell me how we have to bow town and kiss the feet of corporations. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

i don't know where, but they are doing it in an empty building. Not sure how the get around the numbers of the staff, but I guess there's a way.

Thanks.  Here are the details, pretty much what I predicted above.

This weekend’s WrestleMania will be different in a way no one could have imagined last year: professional wrestling’s largest and most iconic event will not have a single fan in attendance.

Aside from the absence of fans and the change from a one-night event to two, WrestleMania 36 will take place somewhere no other WWE event of this scale has been held — at the company’s Performance Center in Orlando, Florida, which is typically used as a training facility for future prospects.

https://people.com/sports/why-wwe-decided-to-still-hold-wrestlemania-its-not-going-to-be-perfect-paul-levesque-says/

15 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

How and where are they holding the event?

They've already filmed it.  Mainly at the WWE Performance Centre in Orlando.  But apparently some other locations.  Undertakr vs Styles is a Boneyard Match so they likely created a cemetery set somewhere or filmed in a cemetery.  Cena vs Bray is some gimmick match too and apparently it was going to be a full film-style production, not a traditional "match".

For what's worth, AEW also filmed a ton of matches this week and over the last couple of weeks and claim they have enough in the can to advance storylines for weeks or months.  Their PPV in Vegas on May 23rd is still scheduled. (I have tickets).

In regards to sport running off rights fees, for NFL and NBA and some others sure.  But...wrestling has seen ratings drop significantly even with more people at home.  Now wrestling isnt a competitive sport but its something to consider...does the crowd and the atmosphere matter?  Will people watch the NFL and NHL the same or more with no crowds?  And the NHL certainly relies on gate revenue too.

On the other hand, the single largest expense if salaries so if players didnt get paid and the NHL went on hiatus for a season, they likely could survive relatively intact.  

46 minutes ago, Tracker said:

eStay safe my dudes and dudettes

Re 6: my understanding is that oil prices are plummeting due to a Saudi price war campaign.  I have read that the Saudis are pumping their cheap oil at bottom dollar and no one can compete.  Wouldn't that really jack up the market for expensive Canadian tar sands oil?

(I bet someone on this forum knows way more about this than I do.)

52 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

No organized anything. Would not be surprised if it lasted 2 years. Just like 1918-1920. 

In two years everyone will have it.

Well you need 75% infection for herd immunity... otherwise we just live in lockdown forever...  its the choice we will have to make - how long do we shut down the world

I recognize that it is more serious than the flu but it still has a 0.0001% death rate when looking at the entire population - we are essentially bankrupting Gen X's senior years health care during the Covid panic...  kind of scary.

2 minutes ago, johnzo said:

If I were to die at this very moment the same headline would be true for me. I have also received at least 13 vaccinations in my life.

(Not going to die, things are fine for me here in Seattle, hope everyone is ok in the peg)

Glad to hear you're okay.

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Know what the hazard of not getting a flu shot was to my family? I had to watch as my 3 year old son had a febrile seizure on my couch. At the time, I didn't know wtf that was and thought I was watching him die. And just this past fall, the results of NOT getting the shot was watching him shake in his own bed because he couldn't breathe due to a bad flu that led to a bad case of pneumonia and a hospital stay of a week while he struggled to stay alive. So forgive me for saying you can go **** yourself with this bullshit.

And you know what the results were the year he got the flu shot on time? the results were ******* nothing. He got ******* nothing. Healthy and happy all winter long. So again. **** you, go **** yourself.

I'm glad it all worked out for you and your son. 

55 minutes ago, JCon said:

From vactruth: 

The information contained within the VacTruth.com website is commentary or opinion and is protected under Free Speech. Individual articles are based upon the opinions of the respective author, who retains copyright as marked. The information on this website is not intended to replace a relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice. By using the information presented on this website, you agree to take FULL responsibility for yourself.

That's not science. That's opinion. That's opinion without evidence. Because it makes them feel good, just like President Dumbass. He says things people want to hear because it agrees with their uneducated opinion. He's killing people in the US. He would love to kill people around the world, especially brown and black people. 

Well no. They interviewed the mother and she told us what happened, which doesn't sound good. You don't believe her?