Covid-19

JCon

50 minutes ago, J5V said:

BTW, before you run off to get your next flu shot, you might want to read this article on the hazards and effectiveness of the flu shot before you make up your mind.

https://experiencelife.com/article/the-debate-about-flu-shots/

An article from 2012... That's super relevant. And then at the bottom page, the author brings up the "poison" ingredients.

Laugh Embarassed GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

It's like you don't even try. And the fact you continue to play your "bUt ThE fLu" card in this thread is an excellent display of abject ignorance. Yes, the flu is bad. It does its share of damage every single year. WTF does that have to do with COVID-19, though - a completely different and new virus?

There's also no valid argument against getting the flu shot if you're healthy and able to get it. Obviously, there are exceptions who can't get it but that's the importance of herd immunity. The flu shot has proven to work and if more people bothered to get it, instead of listen to idiots who spread misinformation and lies fueled by ignorance and willingness to learn, there would likely be far fewer deaths from influenza every year. Outside of mandatory vaccination, what measures would you like to see against the various flu strains that circle the glove every year? The simple reality is people need to do their part, but many do not - and choose wilfully to do so.

The difference with COVID-19, a novel* coronavirus, is there is no vaccine or other measures available to stop or lessen its lethality. That's why it's been so damaging since it spread globally: we don't have the means to fight it the same way we do other viruses. That's why the experts (doctors, epidemiologists, virologists, etc.) have told us to stay home, distance from others, and avoid travel to minimize that damage and not overwhelm medical infrastructure while slowing the spread. Again, though: people need to do their part and listen.

* novel means new, as in it is a new strain we haven't seen before

1 hour ago, J5V said:

BTW, before you run off to get your next flu shot, you might want to read this article on the hazards and effectiveness of the flu shot before you make up your mind.

https://experiencelife.com/article/the-debate-about-flu-shots/

Oh you're an anti-vaxxer too? Let me take you even less seriously. 

Get a brain Moran.

1 hour ago, J5V said:

I'm not against those measures. I'm wondering why those same measures weren't taken against a pathogen that is killing at a 29:1 ratio. The argument I got is that we have the flu shot.

And when we have a vaccine for covid19 you won't see these measures either. Jesus keep up. Also stop using very early death rates. For example in alberta there are currently 2 or 3 new deaths every day. How long do you think it will take to catch up. Stop using bullshit logic. That might fly in echo chambers where everyone wants to hear the same thing but in the real world, with people who are capable or critical thought it's not gonna fly because anyone with half a brain can see that these are crap arguments.

No one is dismissing the economic impact. It's gonna suck, but the world will just have to change and adapt. No more wealth hoarding. Those rich folks will have to help the rest of society out for a change.

I'm no AV but our family doctor has never recommended that we get the flu shot. His reasoning was that only people in poor countries living in squalor should get it and that it's just a guess at what strains you are being immunized against, it may have no affect at all. I think everyone should take their doctors advice when it comes to something like this. 

2 minutes ago, pigseye said:

I'm no AV but our family doctor has never recommended that we get the flu shot. His reasoning was that only people in poor countries living in squalor should get it and that it's just a guess at what strains you are being immunized against, it may have no affect at all. I think everyone should take their doctors advice when it comes to something like this. 

So......we're talking about Saskatchewan?

6 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Your doctors advice is crap and I'd look for a new one. The flu vaccine isn't perfect, but it's better than nothing AND we don't get flu shots for ourselves, we get them for the vulnerable in our society. Same reason we all have to stay home and avoid other people over covid. 

It's no wonder the hard core right wingers hate it so much. It's doing a selfless thing for the common good. Selfish people hate that.

Just now, 17to85 said:

Your doctors advice is crap and I'd look for a new one. The flu vaccine isn't perfect, but it's better than nothing AND we don't get flu shots for ourselves, we get them for the vulnerable in our society. Same reason we all have to stay home and avoid other people over covid. 

It's no wonder the hard core right wingers hate it so much. It's doing a selfless thing for the common good. Selfish people hate that.

Hey, I thought it was strange advice too.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Stop giving tax cuts to big business and tax the super wealthy higher. Stop downloading the tax burden onto the middle class and cutting services and making it up with user fees.

They'll just leave and go somewhere else, what your suggesting doesn't work, you don't think it's been tried before, talk about thinking in a vacuum. 

13 minutes ago, pigseye said:

They'll just leave and go somewhere else, what your suggesting doesn't work, you don't think it's been tried before, talk about thinking in a vacuum. 

So we should keep on giving them a break? Like Jason Kenney did in Alberta only to see companies take the money and still leave?

14 minutes ago, pigseye said:

This is a false assumption. In Europe, there is no mania about lowering taxes in a race to the bottom. Taxes are higher for all, individuals and corporations, but the inhabitants (apart from Brits) report themselves as the happiest in the world. And corporations are smart enough to realize that a happy, healthy workforce and consumers are the key to long-term success.

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

So we should keep on giving them a break? Like Jason Kenney did in Alberta only to see companies take the money and still leave?

What would you rather have 5% of 100 billion or 50% of nothing?

Like it or not, we are all at the mercy of big business because we the well paying jobs they offer.

If you know of a better way to create well paying jobs I'm all ears. 

3 minutes ago, Tracker said:

This is a false assumption. In Europe, there is no mania about lowering taxes in a race to the bottom. Taxes are higher for all, individuals and corporations, but the inhabitants (apart from Brits) report themselves as the happiest in the world. And corporations are smart enough to realize that a happy, healthy workforce and consumers are the key to long-term success.

Did you miss Brexit? 

4 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Or maybe we should just go back to the good old days and become a British colony again, then we can join the EU too.

1 minute ago, pigseye said:

Did you miss Brexit? 

Brexit was fueled by Russian and right-wing disinformation and not well though-through by those who voted for it. Boris Johnson appealed to the same racist and xenophobic voters as Trump did in the US. The Labour Party had the poor judgement to elect a leader with the personality of a loofah.

39 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Time for a new doctor. 

3 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Or maybe we should just go back to the good old days and become a British colony again, then we can join the EU too.

Another false assumption that there is only a binary choice. The ways to judge the health of a society are infant mortality, life expectancy, crime rates, and suicide rates, not how many TVs or Audis you have.