Covid-19

JCon

17 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

People throw out the phrase that Alberta needs to diversify the econmy like it's so easy & can be done quickly, Alberta has a highly educated work force of unemployed ex O & G workers. You'd think high tech companies would want to set up shop here yet it never happens because Alberta has to compete with other cities & countries. Maybe the business & income tax are less elsewhere.  Maybe governments elsewhere are more business friendly. Certainly the climate plays a lot into decisions of companies to relocate here.  To simply say Alberta "should just" diversify, well it's not that easy. 

The only province I didn't enjoy living in more than Alberta was Saskatchewan and that ain't saying much. Alberta has more than it's fair share of arrogant, redneck ******* cowboys. Maybe that factors into it a little bit. If you truly want to know what people think of Alberta, and I don't for a second think Albertans care about what the rest of the country thinks, look outside the province. 

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

This is the biggest stock market theft in history - all these guys know exactly who and when they will bailout

im watching the troop buildup in Eastern Europe - trump/Putin would have a lot to gain by starting a war soon

They've stolen 25% of my life savings overnight and they won't stop until they've got it all, I'm sure. We better get used to it, this has worked so well it will be repeated over and over again.

17 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

People throw out the phrase that Alberta needs to diversify the econmy like it's so easy & can be done quickly, Alberta has a highly educated work force of unemployed ex O & G workers. You'd think high tech companies would want to set up shop here yet it never happens because Alberta has to compete with other cities & countries. Maybe the business & income tax are less elsewhere.  Maybe governments elsewhere are more business friendly. Certainly the climate plays a lot into decisions of companies to relocate here.  To simply say Alberta "should just" diversify, well it's not that easy. 

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/varcoe-alberta-has-lost-its-reputation-as-a-competitive-place-to-invest-warns-mackinnon/

6 minutes ago, J5V said:

Deaths in Manitoba due to Coronavirus. 1

Deaths in Manitoba due to flu. 27

18 flu deaths since September.  

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/flu-deaths-in-manitoba-climb-as-latest-number-released-1.4812910

The first confirmed COVID 19 case in MB was only 3 weeks ago.  Now that we have health care workers and the elderly in personal care homes testing positive for COVID 19, things will escalate quickly. 

1 minute ago, Mark H. said:

18 flu deaths since September.  

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/flu-deaths-in-manitoba-climb-as-latest-number-released-1.4812910

The first confirmed COVID 19 case in MB was only 3 weeks ago.  Now that we have health care workers and the elderly in personal care homes testing positive for COVID 19, things will escalate quickly. 

Could be. Where are you getting the 18 number? I just got the latest report, from March 15th to the 21st and it reports the flu deaths up to 29 from 27 so 2 more must have died recently. You can find the report here https://www.gov.mb.ca/health/publichealth/surveillance/influenza/docs/200321.pdf

10 minutes ago, J5V said:

Deaths in Manitoba due to Coronavirus. 1

Deaths in Manitoba due to flu. 27

give it time. You have this really bad habit of looking for an entire seasons worth for the flu and the very start of a pandemic... AND you are being completely dishonest about it any because our country is taking unprecedented measures to slow the spread of this thing. 

If we all had your attitude towards it you'd damned sure see more than 1 death from Covid in Manitoba (a number which is sadly going to climb). 

And further to that, it's not an either or situation here! each death from Covid is a death that is added onto other deaths. I mean even Trump and his loyal band of idiots have given up this stupid "the flu is worse" argument because it doesn't hold any merit at all. 

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

give it time. You have this really bad habit of looking for an entire seasons worth for the flu and the very start of a pandemic... AND you are being completely dishonest about it any because our country is taking unprecedented measures to slow the spread of this thing. 

If we all had your attitude towards it you'd damned sure see more than 1 death from Covid in Manitoba (a number which is sadly going to climb). 

And further to that, it's not an either or situation here! each death from Covid is a death that is added onto other deaths. I mean even Trump and his loyal band of idiots have given up this stupid "the flu is worse" argument because it doesn't hold any merit at all. 

What I find odd is that you aren't asking why we don't take the same measures to halt the spread of the flu? How is it that you can just brush those deaths aside? It's your attitude towards the flu that is completely dishonest and is contributing to far more death.

In well over 3 months since its purported inception, the COVID-19 virus is claimed to be responsible for less than 50,000 deaths globally (as of the 1st of April).

Every year, about 500,000 people from across the world die from the five-month-long seasonal flu.

During the last pandemic, the swine flu (H1N1) killed up to 575,000 people.

This was interestingly classified as “fairly mild” for total pandemic deaths in 2012 (ABC NEWS).

1 hour ago, J5V said:

Alberta has more than it's fair share of arrogant, redneck ******* cowboys. Maybe that factors into it a little bit. If you truly want to know what people think of Alberta, and I don't for a second think Albertans care about what the rest of the country thinks, look outside the province. 

To be fair, that statement could be said about every province

22 minutes ago, pigseye said:

In well over 3 months since its purported inception, the COVID-19 virus is claimed to be responsible for less than 50,000 deaths globally (as of the 1st of April).

Every year, about 500,000 people from across the world die from the five-month-long seasonal flu.

During the last pandemic, the swine flu (H1N1) killed up to 575,000 people.

This was interestingly classified as “fairly mild” for total pandemic deaths in 2012 (ABC NEWS).

Thanks doctor.

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

That's terrible.  My uncle was a patient there a couple years ago - first rate medical facility. 

My dad passed away there.  I agree, first rate.  My dad was in and out while on  palliative care, sometimes just to get meds straightened out.  At the end, we tried to keep him at home but the level of care he needed was too much for us to handle on our own.  They show a lot of care and compassion there.  If coronavirus runs through that place...its going to be bad.