Covid-19

JCon

53 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Alberta has a pretty diverse economy actually (well it did, but Kenney tried his best to go backwards) It's just that oil and gas was such a behemoth that it dwarfed everything else. 

Agreed - there's not too much wrong with Alberta's Ag sector.  In particular, they have an excellent climate (chinooks) for ranches and feedlots.  No reason why Alberta can't be a 'steady as she goes' economy like Manitoba. 

7 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Agreed - there's not too much wrong with Alberta's Ag sector.  In particular, they have an excellent climate (chinooks) for ranches and feedlots.  No reason why Alberta can't be a 'steady as she goes' economy like Manitoba. 

Our ag sector has kept this province going through all the unsteady times in oil and gas. No question about it...the cow/calf producers have been having some pretty good years of late. There's a lot more, too.... Calgary could be a major tech hub, but Kenney specifically went out of his way to get rid of any incentives for the tech industry to settle there. He's got all the old school Albertans convinced that the good ol' days of oil booms can come again, and that we don't need to diversify. It's incredibly frustrating. 

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Our ag sector has kept this province going through all the unsteady times in oil and gas. No question about it...the cow/calf producers have been having some pretty good years of late. There's a lot more, too.... Calgary could be a major tech hub, but Kenney specifically went out of his way to get rid of any incentives for the tech industry to settle there. He's got all the old school Albertans convinced that the good ol' days of oil booms can come again, and that we don't need to diversify. It's incredibly frustrating. 

Sheep are huge too - the market for lamb is growing every year and wool is making a come back.  But as you say, people have to start thinking outside the oil box.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

But she didn't govern like that. She showed a willingness to put ideology aside to do the right thing. 

I have already found work in a different sector besides oil and gas, but you know what? The hatchet job Kenney is doing impacts us too since we do a lot of work with school boards and post secondary institutions. 

So yeah, you all chose to vote on ideological lines and now aren't happy you got the government you voted for. 

I lost a tremendous amount of respect for my fellow Albertans this past election. We will spend years trying to get out of the mess Kenney leaves us, assuming people smarten up next time.

You are being overly optimistic- I would think it will take decades and even so, it ain't never gonna be the same again. 

The wife & I went out for a drive today. It was a beautiful day here in Ontario. The sunshine and fresh air was wonderful. There were people everywhere. At one point my wife turned to me and said "what quarantine"? 

Apparently the real number of people you'll infect if you are a carrier is indeed, 2, and not 7 as has been reported here. 2.2, to be exact, according to the WHO.

Hard to find data on the flu amid all the covid coverage so we'll go with the WHO numbers of between 300,000 - 650,000 deaths world-wide. Trump, and I am sure many others, say they are surprised that flu is such a killer. Duh! This despite the fact that we know so much about it and have been living with it for so long, which is why we aren't scared of it.

Deaths from covid-19 at around 46,000 world-wide. But we don't know much about it so, y'know, we're scared. 

The U.S. is projecting deaths could reach 240,000. Down considerably from the initial projection of 2,000,000. Because of these numbers, Trump says he has done "an amazing job". He's his biggest fan.

I haven't found anyone projecting the expected total numbers of deaths world wide from covid-19. Guess we'll have to wait and see if it surpasses the flu's numbers. 

People in Ontario have been trying to call in to the Canada Service centres to resolves issues with their E.I. claims. Few, if any, are getting through. People have been calling all day, every day, for weeks now. E.I. would be nice to get if you could actually file the claim successfully. One of the questions asked when to try to file a claim online is "are you out of work due to the covid-19 virus?". If you say, "Yes", your claim is locked and you must call the Canada Service centre to speak to one of their agents. Good luck with that. 

Checked on my investments today. The value of my portfolio has shrunk 25%

People are being told they don't have to pay their rent. Others are deferring their mortgage payments. Oddly, no such concessions from electric, gas, water, and insurance. 

Good times.

44 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Thank you for your leadership Vito Corleone, may I kiss your ring, POTUS is getting a supreme fluffing today

One of the clinical features of a malignant narcissist is the ability to sense when s/he has pushed too far or too hard and then s/he will temporarily dial it back and appear empathic just long enough to re-engage the victim(s). 

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Alberta has a pretty diverse economy actually (well it did, but Kenney tried his best to go backwards) It's just that oil and gas was such a behemoth that it dwarfed everything else. 

No it doesn't come up with some numbers if that's the case. 

4 hours ago, Mark H. said:

A whopping 2% of GDP, good luck riding that wave, Alberta was a bump on the road before the oil industry came along. 

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Again, just because oil was humongous doesn't mean Alberta has nothing else. Oil just completely blew things out of control. I mean even with the oil industry depressed and people in alberta feeling like the end times it still has an economy that many other provinces would love to have. 

Your standard of living is determined as much by your outgo as income.

People throw out the phrase that Alberta needs to diversify the econmy like it's so easy & can be done quickly, Alberta has a highly educated work force of unemployed ex O & G workers. You'd think high tech companies would want to set up shop here yet it never happens because Alberta has to compete with other cities & countries. Maybe the business & income tax are less elsewhere.  Maybe governments elsewhere are more business friendly. Certainly the climate plays a lot into decisions of companies to relocate here.  To simply say Alberta "should just" diversify, well it's not that easy. 

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

People throw out the phrase that Alberta needs to diversify the econmy like it's so easy & can be done quickly, Alberta has a highly educated work force of unemployed ex O & G workers. You'd think high tech companies would want to set up shop here yet it never happens because Alberta has to compete with other cities & countries. Maybe the business & income tax are less elsewhere.  Maybe governments elsewhere are more business friendly. Certainly the climate plays a lot into decisions of companies to relocate here.  To simply say Alberta "should just" diversify, well it's not that easy. 

The biggest impediment is that the oil and gas industry paid so much more. No other industry wants to compete with those wages.

13 minutes ago, Floyd said:

This is the biggest stock market theft in history - all these guys know exactly who and when they will bailout

im watching the troop buildup in Eastern Europe - trump/Putin would have a lot to gain by starting a war soon

You say that you're young, able-bodied and unemployed? Uncle Sam wants you! 3 squares and steady paycheque.