Covid-19

JCon

17 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm Conservative & voted UCP but even Jason Kenney's announcement today of investing in Keystone XL got me gobsmacked. Like WTF is he doing in the middle of a pandemic investing tax dollars while cutting in every aspect of our daily lives??? On Saturday they cut 128 M from education & directed it into fighting Covid 19 just 3 days ago saying as a province we are broke. Then 3 days later, we spend $1.5 B on Keystone XL??? Where did that money come if were broke. Yep, put money into a pipeline but not into healthcare. Crazy. I'm pissed off. Albertans are governed by ideology & not good government. 

You know I did try and warn you that he was an ******* not worth voting for. He is doing exactly what he promised... This is what 70% of the ******* province voted for. I hope you're all very happy. My family doctor said today that he's worried the clinic he is part of will go belly up thanks to Kenney and his cuts. Way to help Alberta. 

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

Ouch. Sorry, it offended you. Just pointing that you're not quite there. 

Not at all but will stick up for what I do. But what is this “there” that I’m not quite at yet? 
ps. Read the edited part on my last post.

7 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

Not at all but will stick up for what I do. But what is this “there” that I’m not quite at yet? 
ps. Read the edited part on my last post.

Not sure you need to "stick up for" being an undergrad Asper student. You be there "graduated" at some point, I'm sure. 

13 minutes ago, JCon said:

Not sure you need to "stick up for" being an undergrad Asper student. You be there "graduated" at some point, I'm sure. 

Well I have a few questions, how do you know I’m a undergrad and not graduated? What’s wrong with me sticking up for being at asper? Sounds more like you have a problem with asper and the people who study there, which is fine. We can discuss that if you want.  And being a graduate is not my “there”
also I hope you read what I edited into my first reply to you. I was actually trying to clarify what I meant.

Edited by Tiny759

22 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

Well I have a few questions, how do you know I’m a undergrad and not graduated? What’s wrong with me sticking up for being at asper? Sounds more like you have a problem with asper and the people who study there, which is fine. We can discuss that if you want.  And being a graduate is not my “there”
also I hope you read what I edited into my first reply to you. I was actually trying to clarify what I meant.

Wow, so defensive.

I read what you wrote. You're taking some weird offense to something I've written. You need to chill out.

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

Wow, so defensive.

I read what you wrote. You're taking some weird offense to something I've written. You need to chill out.

Yes I am. When someone calls me a “wanna be” or acts condescending  and say I’m “not quite there” I do get a bit defensive and not afraid to admit it.  

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm Conservative & voted UCP but even Jason Kenney's announcement today of investing in Keystone XL got me gobsmacked. Like WTF is he doing in the middle of a pandemic investing tax dollars while cutting in every aspect of our daily lives??? On Saturday they cut 128 M from education & directed it into fighting Covid 19 just 3 days ago saying as a province we are broke. Then 3 days later, we spend $1.5 B on Keystone XL??? Where did that money come if were broke. Yep, put money into a pipeline but not into healthcare. Crazy. I'm pissed off. Albertans are governed by ideology & not good government. 

I might have my wires crossed but there was some talk during the last AB. election that Kenney  planned to plough funds from the provincial pension fund back in to AB. industry by increasing public ownership of oil and gas resources and  help prop up the industry.  On first glance it sounds a bit like red communism, but have no fear the public will never own any assets for the money spent, it will disappear into fat pockets without a trace, and the public will be left with a worthless piece of paper.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I might have my wires crossed but there was some talk during the last AB. election that Kenney  planned to plough funds from the provincial pension fund back in to AB. industry by increasing public ownership of oil and gas resources and  help prop up the industry.  On first glance it sounds a bit like red communism, but have no fear the public will never own any assets for the money spent, it will disappear into fat pockets without a trace, and the public will be left with a worthless piece of paper.

How can Kenney say this will guarantee completion of Keystone when he is in a different country.? The American legal system as well as regulatory process won't care about that.

6 hours ago, 17to85 said:

You know I did try and warn you that he was an ******* not worth voting for. He is doing exactly what he promised... This is what 70% of the ******* province voted for. I hope you're all very happy. My family doctor said today that he's worried the clinic he is part of will go belly up thanks to Kenney and his cuts. Way to help Alberta. 

I won't apologize for voting for the UCP. It's not like the NDP were doing a great job, either. I am very disappointed in Kenney. He talked tough as Opposition Leader. He talked tough during the election campaign. After he got elected he became a lamb dealing with the federal government.  I think voters have noticed that but it's hardly as important as it was 6 months ago.  Since 2015 we have had 2 successive provincial governments governed by political ideology. Both the NDP & UCP have sucked. The healthcare & education cuts are nothing anyone wants but Kenney did it anyway.  That isn't good government. It's damned political ideology.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

11 hours ago, Noeller said:

I actually think we're going to see a boom similar to post WW2. Everything will rebound pretty quickly. 

I dunno… Those were different times and far different circumstances. Look at the debt people, companies, and governments carry now, too.

Airlines want public help: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/airline-tourism-sector-catastrophic-decline-covid-19-1.5516678

Edited by blue_gold_84
link added

7 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I dunno… Those were different times and far different circumstances. Look at the debt people, companies, and governments carry now, too.

Airlines want public help: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/airline-tourism-sector-catastrophic-decline-covid-19-1.5516678

I wouldnt help airlines.  They got bailed out after 9/11 and many of them were flush with cash.  They quickly laid off their staff now.  Ef em.  I know they'll threaten to go under, leaving a monopoly for the ones that remain which will be bad for consumers...so the government will step in, but manage your business.  And then they'll end up super profitable again and fight tooth and nail with their employees on wage and benefit increases.

Speaking of which, my company is in the middle of CBA negotiations.  They cancelled a meeting due to COVID.  Think its a bad time to be asking for a raise....

Edited by The Unknown Poster

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I won't apologize for voting for the UCP. It's not like the NDP were doing a great job, either. I am very disappointed in Kenney. He talked tough as Opposition Leader. He talked tough during the election campaign. After he got elected he became a lamb dealing with the federal government.  I think voters have noticed that but it's hardly as important as it was 6 months ago.  Since 2015 we have had 2 successive provincial governments governed by political ideology. Both the NDP & UCP have sucked. The healthcare & education cuts are nothing anyone wants but Kenney did it anyway.  That isn't good government. It's damned political ideology.

Maybe you should apologize. Kenney flat out said in the campaign he was going to govern from an ideological point of view, and the NDP were really not your typical NDP at all. They were pretty pragmatic and doing a good job. I ain't no NDP shill of loonie lefty, but you and the rest of this promise were willfully ignorant thinking a provincial government could do anything about the oil sector. I would say it serves every single one of you right, but it also impacts me and my family so I'm fuxking bitter that the ignorance and greed have ****** us all like this.

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Maybe you should apologize. Kenney flat out said in the campaign he was going to govern from an ideological point of view, and the NDP were really not your typical NDP at all. They were pretty pragmatic and doing a good job. I ain't no NDP shill of loonie lefty, but you and the rest of this promise were willfully ignorant thinking a provincial government could do anything about the oil sector. I would say it serves every single one of you right, but it also impacts me and my family so I'm fuxking bitter that the ignorance and greed have ****** us all like this.

Like what happened in Ontario years ago, the NDP inherited a failing economy in Alberta. Worse yet, in Alberta, Notley and Co. dared to hint that there had to be a major shift in the provincial economy away from the oil industry and its seductive easy money. She proposed that healthcare was a priority over fattening the budgets of the petroleum industry, and that this would be an uncomfortable transition. But no one wanted to hear this- the fantasy was much more attractive. And then Kenney rose up and promised good times.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Like I said, I ain't apologizing so you should move on.  You always have the option to find work elsewhere if you're that bitter & hate it here that much. Notley was wearing her Che Guevara wristwatch & carrying signs saying keep Alberta oil in the ground when she was an MLA before she was Premier. And she hired wingnut  commie eco terrorist Tzempora Berman as a provincial consultant for  O & G regulations.

Notley will more than likely get reelected in 3 years & ramp up spending again until  she is voted out & the conservatives get back in & tell us we can't afford it & cut, cut, cut. Which is why this damned ******* governing by ideology has to stop. It's killing this province. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

13 hours ago, Tracker said:

Sen. Elizabeth Warren is demanding to know why the Trump administration earlier this month seized at least two shipments of badly-needed medical supplies to fight the coronavirus pandemic headed for her state of Massachusetts and accused the federal government of continually outbidding states as officials try to procure life-saving equipment.

After President Donald Trump on March 19 scolded governors for expecting the federal government to take responsibility for the spread of the coronavirus and ensure that states have ventilators and personal protective equipment (PPE) for healthcare providers—saying states should “try getting it” themselves—the administration outbid Massachusetts officials and kept the supplies out of the state’s reach, Warren said in a tweet on Tuesday.

"Trump told states they were on their own to purchase medical equipment, so that’s what MA tried to do. But then the federal government outbid MA at least 3 times – and reports show two of our orders were seized by federal authorities. This is unacceptable. ""https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/31/nation/warren-feds-why-did-you-take-massachusettss-medical-supplies/ 

we're eventually going to find out that some in Trump's circle have been hogging those supplies aren't we?

18 hours ago, Tracker said:

We're All Safe Now:

Scamvangelist Declares COVID-19 “Finished” After Commanding God to Destroy It

MARCH 29, 2020

Televangelist Kenneth Copeland, who said last week that God told him the coronavirus would “be over much sooner than you think” (but still wants you to tithe even if you’ve lost your job), offered up what I can only assume is a magic spell this morning in order to destroy COVID-19.  And that’s why the pandemic is now over.

(It’s not over.)

Copeland screamed out at Satan to “get off this nation” and “crawl on your belly,” before declaring the crisis to be “over.”

That will no doubt scare the virus into submission.

COVID-19 still around means social distancing. Social distancing means no communal church service. No church service means no collection.

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

12 minutes ago, Floyd said:

All I know is man did we dodge a bullet by not electing Scheer and the cons

We dont really know that.  Lets not forget the Liberals tried to grab a bit of power using the pandemic as a cover and were rightly knocked about for it.  We'll see what we think when our economy is toast and they raise taxes.  They also came out with some new rules to get the emergency money and they're not as broad as they originally made it seem.

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

we're eventually going to find out that some in Trump's circle have been hogging those supplies aren't we?

I believe that Trump and Co. are trying to buy up and/or seize as many of the needed medical supplies as possible and then use them to force compliance (AKA butt-kissing) among the governors and mayors- a form of blackmail, really. It is reprehensible, but the sort of thing that Trump's GOP has come to use as de rigeur. Trump has shown himself as absolutely willing to countenance the deaths of thousands if it meant increasing his wealth or chances of re-election. He ha.s openly refused to follow the law, and even still is involved in his business dealings

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Like I said, I ain't apologizing so you should move on.  You always have the option to find work elsewhere if you're that bitter & hate it here that much. Notley was wearing her Che Guevara wristwatch & carrying signs saying keep Alberta oil in the ground when she was an MLA before she was Premier. And she hired wingnut  commie eco terrorist Tzempora Berman as a provincial consultant for  O & G regulations.

Notley will more than likely get reelected in 3 years & ramp up spending again until  she is voted out & the conservatives get back in & tell us we can't afford it & cut, cut, cut. Which is why this damned ******* governing by ideology has to stop. It's killing this province. 

But she didn't govern like that. She showed a willingness to put ideology aside to do the right thing. 

I have already found work in a different sector besides oil and gas, but you know what? The hatchet job Kenney is doing impacts us too since we do a lot of work with school boards and post secondary institutions. 

So yeah, you all chose to vote on ideological lines and now aren't happy you got the government you voted for. 

I lost a tremendous amount of respect for my fellow albertans this past election. We will spend years trying to get out of the mess Kenney leaves us, assuming people smarten up next time.