Covid-19

JCon

4 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

How's everyone keeping from climbing the walls at home? What are you doing to keep yourself busy, without social gatherings or going outside? I've got lots of work to do, as this is a busy time of year at my job... which has helped, but it is starting to feel like Groundhog Day, wondering how others are keeping things going?

As Noeller said, watching old favourite shows:

I don't know how many of you are from a rural background or are familiar with James Herriot's books - but they made an excellent TV series out of it - you will find the episodes on youtube "All Things Bright and Beautiful."

Some others are: Doc Martin, Lark Rise to Candleford, & the early episodes of OTH. 

Audio books are a tremendous resource when your students are all at home.  With public libraries closed, I've been busy scouring youtube for Audio books -  currently checking out an excellent version of Tom Sawyer.

The extra work involved when teaching remotely is significant - math is by far the most challenging - all the hands on stuff had to stay at school. Fingers crossed that we can get back to normal sometime in April (BC appears to be flattening the curve).

In other news - I'm also revising an old script. 

And of course, playing with our 20 month old daughter. 

50 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

That seems the pessimistic view to me. Flattening should show up sooner than a couple months. 

BC is already reporting that the curve is flattening...  we'll wait and see what happens in Vancouver

Pentecostals in Whitehorse screwed up our curve...  they kept holding services and now the radio is asking for all people who attending on the 8th and 15th to self-isolate...

24 minutes ago, Floyd said:

BC is already reporting that the curve is flattening...  we'll wait and see what happens in Vancouver

Pentecostals in Whitehorse screwed up our curve...  they kept holding services and now the radio is asking for all people who attending on the 8th and 15th to self-isolate...

Gotta teach these ministers how to use youtube, or maybe show them that it exists. 

8 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

How's everyone keeping from climbing the walls at home? What are you doing to keep yourself busy, without social gatherings or going outside? I've got lots of work to do, as this is a busy time of year at my job... which has helped, but it is starting to feel like Groundhog Day, wondering how others are keeping things going?

For me, I find this easy. In 2015, I had foot surgery that went terribly wrong. I developed a severe bone infection about a month after surgery as the metal hardware had bacteria on it. One incision on my foot where a screw had been inserted refused to heal. I was bedridden for 10 months where I could not walk at all. I had to keep my weight totally off my foot. I also endured 3 hospital stay each about a week long during that time when the infection flared up & had to be debrided & treated by antibiotics. Without going into boring details,  4 month recovery time turned into an 18 month ordeal. My last day at work was end of June 2015 & I didn't return until January of 2017.  I have nerve damage where that incision is now & it tingles constantly. Some days more than others. I'm always aware of the time that incision took away from my life back 5 years ago as it always reminds me constantly. 

The last time I was house bound just getting out of bed to use the bathroom was a sometimes painful but always an exhausting experience. Taking a shower & having to stick my left foot out of the bathtub & under the curtain as it wasn't supposed to get wet while wearing a plastic cover over my foot was a pain in the ass. So, one thing I developed was patience. My life was on hold for 18 months under difficult situation. So, seeing as I no longer have those mobility issues this self isolation is a piece of cake.

Last summer, I had my left knee replaced. After a couple of weeks I was able to start moving around. Once my stitches came out I was able to start physio & the road back to recovery so that little stint was easy as well. I was driving again in 6 weeks & my wife said I was on my own to get to my doctor & physio appointments.

My advice to anyone going stir crazy right or depressed right now? Take it from someone whose life was on hold for a year & a half & in the middle of it all didn't know when things would get better. Just be patient. Take it one day, even one hour at a time if you have to. Do something you like. Stay engaged with people you know & like on social media. I do CFL trivia with my facebook friends & the response is amazing. I have pvr'd a bunch of old movies I'm stockpiling to watch when I feel like it. Old Westerns & war movies. I'm going to start doing some reading. My son is reading a book about Richard Nixon & I told him once he is done I'd like to as well. But patience is what you need even when there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel. 

One other thing from my long experience of being a shut in... Appreciate your loved ones. Don't be a pain in the ass when you get down. Don't take your frustrations out on them as they feel the same way you do. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27