Covid-19

JCon

57 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I'm not worried about any Democratic States going to a  more open situation but the Republican ones like Texas, Tennessee & Florida. they'll be locked stepped with Trump all the way. What scares me is that a new & worse outbreak in the US in a month or so because of Trump's incompetence will further drag the US down the economic **** hole thereby guaranteeing a Depression world wide. Triggering a second & more deadly wave of the virus world wide as well. No way will it stay contained within their borders. We are *******.

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

It doesn't actually matter how deadly Covid-19 is... I think the rate is much lower than reported because we test only the severely ill - i.e. the flu's death rate would be much higher if we did the same

The problem is that boomer's already overloaded our health care system and on top of that, the supplies we need come from the states and not a chance the States helps us out now.

Cities need to be locked down - it is a population density problem...  rural Canada should for the most part be fine - but widespread panic will start once a large number of New Yorkers die.

Quit making this about ******* Boomers. We're all in this together & your take is just as bad as J5V's. By saying Boomer you imply it's anyone over 55's fault we have a pandemic. You don't like racism when Trump call it the Chinese Virus then quit making it about ageism. Your Boomer comment does not help. 

Steve Mnuchin told CNBC on Thursday when asked about the initial jobless claims:

“I just think these numbers right now are not relevant.” "The good thing about this bill is, the president is protecting these people.”  

3 million more jobless claims. No big deal. Completely irrelevant.
Everybody reassured......

9451 in 801 days. Over the last 200 days he has averaged over 22 a day.

What is - false or misleading claims. This is according to the Washington Post.

Cognitive disorder, pre-dimentia, sheer delirium. Here’s one link..

👁‍🗨Trumps mental health is in question. I just saw a video of him where a collection of his talks show, clearly, he has trouble remembering where he is going with his sentences. Words are garbled and/or misused.I’m still trying to find it again. 
Seriously, I don’t know if Trump is going to make it to the next election with how quickly he is stumbling..

12 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Couple things:

1. This video was posted March 4, 2020 - our first official case wasn't reported until March 12. Things have changed since then.

2. Yes, it will infect a small proportion of the population, however if I can do my part to make sure the retiree neighbors I live next to, my mom (who is in the high-risk age bracket), and my daughter (who is under 2) are less susceptible to contract the disease, I'm going to do it.

3. Although it is true that only about 2% of people who contract it die, close to about 6% end up getting serious symptoms and hospitalized.

End of day, am I scared? For myself? No, my daughter and mom? Yep... It's not a question of being optimistic, it's the fact that if everyone does their civic duty- we can help minimize the impact of this disease. As for the "we should focus on the flu" argument, you still wouldn't do irrational things if you had that either - if you did have the flu you wouldn't go to some random long-term care home and start voluntarily sneezing on senior citizens either just because you aren't afraid.

Excellent post. I couldn't agree more. No one is advocating going to some random long-term care home and start voluntarily sneezing on senior citizens either just because you aren't afraid. At least I haven't heard of anyone doing anything quite that asinine.

However, a work buddy texted me that he had to go to the bank today and while making his way to the line, extended as it was due to social distancing, some guy who was passing by and not even going to the bank just went off on him about being too close to him. My buddy apologized and backed away but the guy wouldn't let it go. He does his banking and the guy is waiting for him, cursing. He makes his way to his vehicle doing his best not to get into an altercation and the guy finally grabs my buddy's hood. Well, if you knew my buddy you'd know that wasn't a good idea. After a brief confrontation the other guy backed off and left. 

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar lately as this thing tests our humanity towards each other.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Quit making this about ******* Boomers. We're all in this together & your take is just as bad as J5V's. By saying Boomer you imply it's anyone over 55's fault we have a pandemic. You don't like racism when Trump call it the Chinese Virus then quit making it about ageism. Your Boomer comment does not help. 

OK Boomer

sorry I don't really mean that, it was just too easy to pass up. 

It looks like the wildfire has been lit. Louisiana and four other states have reported 500 or more new cases today alone. And remember, this are only the cases that have presented and there is no widespread testing, so for every case that presents for care, there are 10-20 that are not yet identified.  It looks like Trump's supporters in the American southeast will pay for his incompetence with their lives.

19 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

OK Boomer

sorry I don't really mean that, it was just too easy to pass up. 

This isn't directed at you, 17to85. Here's the thing. Yeah, it's a joke & all generations get old eventually. But it's just not about Boomers. My wife is an Oncology RN at the Tom Baker cancer Centre in Calgary. She sees death everyday. Sometimes her patients come in for treatment & then disappear so she checks the obits every morning before work to see if she can recognize any patients she has treated that have passed away.  These nurses & doctors are pretty stoic when they lose a patient. It's still very hard on them when someone young or was a long term treatment patient suddenly dies & it does take a toll emotionally.

Cancer doesn't discriminate based on age like people do. Every cancer patient undergoing chemo & radiation treatments has their systems immuno-compromised. The 80 year old with liver cancer to the 4 year old with neuroblastoma or the 30 year old with a young wife & family who has been stricken with Leukemia. What about them? They're not all Boomers & I'd say the vast majority are super scared & don't want to die.

Floyd suggested Boomers are taking up space like somehow it's their fault they are old & sick. My son's sister in law is expecting a baby in Portland any day now.  As of today she is 3 days overdue. That infant for all intents & purposes when born will have no immune system as it hasn't fully developed. A perfect little target for the Covid 19 virus. What about that kid? Shouldn't it have a chance to grow & get old like us? Millions of people of all ages are sick & taking up space in hospitals worldwide. None of them want to be there. As a society, do we now look at bed shortages, ventilator & mask shortages & blame it all on the sick? Now, we're going to sacrifice them for the good of the economy? Or for people who are conceived as being more net contributors to society?  Giving them a better chance to live & recover. Is that what society has come down to now? We'll now dispose of the old & sick to save someone younger?? They are doing that now in Italy & it looks like it'll be that way in the US in the coming weeks. What a terrible position to be in as a treating physician to have to make those choices. And if one of those sacrificed is a loved one. I just can't imagine...

And Floyd, if you get sick & have to go to hospital, chances are there will be a Boomer nurse & physician to take care of you & to allay your fears all the while risking their health & the health of their families to treat you. We're in this together. 

2 hours ago, J5V said:

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar lately as this thing tests our humanity towards each other.

Well, in terms of people being awful, my wife earlier on (about 3 weeks ago) had the foresight to buy enough formula so we wouldn't be in a pinch, and when we were at the grocery store, this woman came up to us and just said "Hey, that's a good idea, the Child Care Benefit cheques come out tomorrow", while we bought enough of a supply for our own daughter, this woman loaded up, and indicated she planned on making a profit reselling on Kijiji. It was sad, but other than judging her, there wasn't really a whole lot we could do about it.

46 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Well, in terms of people being awful, my wife earlier on (about 3 weeks ago) had the foresight to buy enough formula so we wouldn't be in a pinch, and when we were at the grocery store, this woman came up to us and just said "Hey, that's a good idea, the Child Care Benefit cheques come out tomorrow", while we bought enough of a supply for our own daughter, this woman loaded up, and indicated she planned on making a profit reselling on Kijiji. It was sad, but other than judging her, there wasn't really a whole lot we could do about it.

Maybe it's a mindset that people get into, always looking for ways to leverage some bucks. Capitalism at it's finest, I suppose. 😞

7 hours ago, Tracker said:

Re-selling of essential needs will soon be illegal.

Not good enough, should've been done prior to the outbreak, there will always be those out there looking to make a quick buck unfortunately. Even if they do make it illegal, any law is only as good as the level of enforcement taken by governments. Look at jaywalking, it is dangerous and people do it all the time, if police actually handed out more tickets for it, you'd likely see it go down...