Covid-19

JCon

Just now, iHeart said:

I don't see a problem with that, I'm old enough to remember when the Sydney Olympics were held in September, but I don't recall a virus or anything I think it had to do with weather.

The Summer Olympics in Mexico City, Mexico were held in October 1968 because of the heat. It was cooler temp wise to have them in the fall. The Seoul Olympics in 1988 were also in September.

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It also depends how long the US-Canadian border is closed. 

Methinks it's going to be a good while. This situation worsens by the day and I can't see international travel for non-essential purposes resuming for quite some time.

I'm just glad to see Canada take the lead with the Olympics as the IOC drags its heels looking incompetent and out to lunch.

11 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I can’t imagine the Olympics not postponing.   It would be a massive gamble going a head with it.   Yes it’s July so plenty for time to have things stabilize (and I think they will) but it’s too soon.  Push it to the fall. 

The IOC will fight postponement to the bitter end. It is a private corporation owned and run by the former European royalty and it reaps many, many millions in profits for them.

44 minutes ago, Tracker said:

The IOC will fight postponement to the bitter end. It is a private corporation owned and run by the former European royalty and it reaps many, many millions in profits for them.

$$$$$$ I read that whoever pulls the plug it on the hook so neither the Tokyo people or the IOC want to do it and pay. Now maybe that's nonsense internet news, but seems legit.

Regarding Oympics, yeah it’s a ways off and I suspect things will largely be back to normal at least in terms of most activities (probably still a lot of work from home and hyper awareness to cleanliness). But that many people in close quarters and then going home all over the world is a recipe for another flare up. 

flatten it out by early summer.  It likely flares up again in the winter. And hopefully they set a record for vaccine and other treatments. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/03/23/820101589/surgeon-general-tells-u-s-this-week-it-s-going-to-get-bad

"I want America to understand this week it's going to get bad," U.S. Surgeon General Jerome Adams said Monday morning, speaking about the COVID-19 pandemic and efforts to stop the coronavirus from infecting more people in the U.S.

24 minutes ago, do or die said:

Its funny how a month ago people were talking about how shitty Canada is and blockading rail lines - wanting to #shutdowncanada - and others were whining about separating - because they're not making $600 a day anymore... now I hope all those same people are watching what's about to happen in the states... and thankful for the support and stability that we have here...

We're very lucky to live in Canada - that's all I have to say

For curiosity, I'm going to create a little poll about our current work situations. I wouldn't mind updating it each week as this plays out. 

I would like to know how many people are working/studying from home, working from the office/store/job site, are laid off...

Those are the categories I have so far but am open to more suggestions?

Thanks. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

For curiosity, I'm going to create a little poll about our current work situations. I wouldn't mind updating it each week as this plays out. 

I would like to know how many people are working/studying from home, working from the office/store/job site, are laid off...

Those are the categories I have so far but am open to more suggestions?

Thanks. 

Well maybe add a mixed home/site option for people like me who are working from home, but still have to go visit sites as well. 

Senate fails to pass the corona virus bill again.   I generally accept that certain businesses shouldn’t be allowed to fail but man we’re talking about bailing out airlines again??  What did they do wirh their billions over the years?   How about have enough reserves handle things like this.  

Don’t bail them out.  What are they going to do?  Or link it directly to zero layoffs or cut on pay or hours. No stock buy backs (I think Mark Cuban said any company accepting a buys back should be barred from stock buy backs forever). 

10 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Senate fails to pass the corona virus bill again.   I generally accept that certain businesses shouldn’t be allowed to fail but man we’re talking about bailing out airlines again??  What did they do wirh their billions over the years?   How about have enough reserves handle things like this.  

Don’t bail them out.  What are they going to do?  Or link it directly to zero layoffs or cut on pay or hours. No stock buy backs (I think Mark Cuban said any company accepting a buys back should be barred from stock buy backs forever). 

The Administration wants to bail out cruise lines that pay zero tax in the US. 

This is just a cash grab for the rich. 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

The Administration wants to bail out cruise lines that pay zero tax in the US. 

This is just a cash grab for the rich. 

It's what the GOP exists for. Rob the poor and give to the rich, but make believe that you actually care about the schmucks who vote for you.