Covid-19

JCon

https://pm.gc.ca/en/news/statements/2020/03/20/us-canada-joint-initiative-temporary-restriction-travelers-crossing-us

The U.S.-Canada land border serves as an economic engine that supports over $2.4 billion dollars in daily trade. As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the United States and Canada are temporarily restricting all non-essential travel across its borders. In each of our countries, we are encouraging people to exercise caution by avoiding unnecessary contact with others. This collaborative and reciprocal measure is an extension of that prudent approach.

“Non-essential” travel includes travel that is considered tourism or recreational in nature.

The United States and Canada recognize it is critical we preserve supply chains between both countries. These supply chains ensure that food, fuel, and life-saving medicines reach people on both sides of the border. Supply chains, including trucking, will not be impacted by this new measure. Americans and Canadians also cross the land border every day to do essential work or for other urgent or essential reasons, and that travel will not be impacted.

This decision will be implemented on March 21, 2020, at which time the U.S. and Canada will temporarily restrict all non-essential travel across the U.S.-Canada land border. The measure will be in place for 30 days, at which point it will be reviewed by both parties.

"The Covid-19 epidemic is something like sepsis: the reaction by the media and government is likely to produce more harm to societies around the globe than the virus, possibly for many years to come." Now before the haters descend like flies, here's the link to the full article from an expert that also sees the harm in over reacting to this thing.   https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/16/coronavirus-serious-threat-prepare-not-overreact/

Here's some more "enlightening" reading for those of you, if there are any, that are not afraid to consider the other side of all this hype and it's repercussions.

"While COVID-19 (alias nCoV-2019) constitutes a multi-billion corporate bonanza for Big Pharma, it has also contributed to precipitating humanity into a dangerous and unfolding global process of economic, social and geopolitical destabilization."  https://www.globalresearch.ca/covid-19-coronavirus-a-fake-pandemic-whos-behind-it-global-economic-and-geopolitical-destabilization/5705063

"As Covid wends its way around the world, let’s detach ourselves from the hype and get some perspective. "  https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/as-covid-gets-overhyped-flu-is-far-more-deadly/

oh-wait-youre-serious-let-me-laugh-even-

Seriously, get your bogus "other side" crap outta here. 

Downplaying this is how it will spread further. This thing is crazy infectious, and yes the vast majority of people will not have serious issues with it, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't take it seriously. It's not bad now, but that's 2 reasons. #1 is the stats are unreliable because a country like China is very much a closed country that won't ever be truthful in order to save face and #2 because in the western world we're still in the early stages of this thing. There has been limited testing and even still you are seeing exponential spread of the thing when it gets here. 

You want to dismiss it and buy into the anti-intellectualism that's not OK because this affects everyone. Yeah the measures to try and limit the spread so that our health care system doesn't get overwhelmed suck for everyone, but as a society we must work together for the common good. 

By your attitude I'm gonna guess you're an OK Boomer. 

FFS... Now another troll emerges in this sub-forum to spread bullshit misinformation from lousy sources. That's some embarrassing cherry-picking and actually substantiates nothing save your case of DKE.

The Stat News article makes some valid points - I'll give you that. But it's also rife with whataboutism and needless deflection ignoring the reality of the situation, making the author tone deaf. It's also already out of date and the death toll has basically doubled since it was written. Strike 1.

A link from Global Research links, though? That's as bad as NTZ and WUWT... Tinfoil hattery fueled by ignorance, delusion, and conspiracy theory. Not even worth entertaining such junk. FOH with that garbage. (https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/global-research/)
Strike 2.

And then a blog... In other words, some random person's opinion that does nothing more than conform to your lame confirmation bias. Strike 3.

Kindly get the **** bent, man. You're part of the problem.

‘I’m definitely going to get it. We all are,’ N.J.’s top health official says as she leads the state’s coronavirus war

Nearing the end of another 16-hour day overseeing New Jersey’s response to the coronavirus pandemic, Judith Persichillipauses at the door of her crisis conference room to answer a final question.

Persichilli, the state health commissioner, has become a familiar face in the state as the woman who calmly announces how many people have tested positive and died of COVID-19disease each day. Behind the scenes, she is the health official who has been running the state’s day-to-day battle against the virus.

But at age 71, Persichilli is squarely in the age rangethat experts are warning to be most cautious.

“Are you worried,” I ask, “that you’ll get the coronavirus eventually?”

She smiles.

“I’m definitely going to get it. We all are,” Persichilli says matter-of-factly. “I’m just waiting.”

It will probably be mild. She’ll feel sick for a few days, then hopefully get better, she says. It may not be this month or this year. But, she’s studied all the coronavirus pandemic algorithms and consulted the experts.

It’s coming for her — and me. And you, she fears.

The question now is how to best get New Jersey ready, she says.

53 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

Boomers are taking this far more seriously than the young. This part of your post was unnecessary. I agree with the rest of your response.

Most of them are. Evidently not all of them cough J5V cough. For your health buddy please lay low and eat canned soup. The devil can wait.

Edited by MOBomberFan
please note that I coughed into my sleeve

Hope all are doing well my fave Winnipeg Jet and Bomber fan crew. Things like this bring out the true colours in people. Some great, some not so great.  We are all anxious, concerned for own inner circles. However we can’t bail on the safety and well being of others. When this all stabilizes and we come out the other side and have a moment to reflect, the people who bailed on others and only thought of themselves and their inner circles will have some explaining to do.

oh and I really miss sports. :)

Just now, HardCoreBlue said:

Hope all are doing well my fave Winnipeg Jet and Bomber fan crew. Things like this bring out the true colours in people. Some great, some not so great.  We are all anxious, concerned for own inner circles. However we can’t bail on the safety and well being of others. When this all stabilizes and we come out the other side and have a moment to reflect, the people who bailed on others and only thought of themselves and their inner circles will have some explaining to do.

oh and I really miss sports. :)

It'll be back....in about 1-2 years.

1 hour ago, tacklewasher said:

Boomers are taking this far more seriously than the young.

Idiots of all ages are not taking this seriously. That's been amply demonstrated both by young kids partying in Florida claiming they're invincible and middle-aged adults/retirees continuing to travel recently and then lie about their whereabouts upon their return to Canada. Stupidity is not discerned by age.

Meanwhile, in Russia: https://qz.com/1822523/russia-reports-few-coronavirus-cases-but-sharp-spike-in-pneumonia/

Edited by blue_gold_84

The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health has advised doctors to only test patients for the coronavirus if a positive result would actually impact their treatment. The department said in an official letter on Thursday that it was “shifting from a strategy of case containment to slowing disease transmission and averting excess morbidity and mortality.” The recommendation signaled a realization that there is little hope of containing the outbreak and came as a result of a growing number of patients and a limited number of tests. The decision could make it difficult to ever accurately determine the number of coronavirus cases in L.A. County, the country’s second-largest municipal health system.

Half of all coronavirus cases in New York state are in patients under 50 years old, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said as he pleaded with young people to stop socializing and to increase their social distancing. Of the state’s 10,356 cases, 54 percent were in people aged 18 to 49, Cuomo said on Saturday. “You’re not superman and you’re not superwoman, you can get this virus and you can transfer the virus and you can wind up hurting someone who you love or hurting someone wholly inadvertently,” he said. “It has to be stopped.” He said he would be visiting sites around New York state on Saturday to see if people are still out socializing when they shouldn’t be. A full lockdown order will come into effect on Saturday night. The Trump administration task force indicated earlier this week that, contrary to earlier assumptions that the flu-like virus mainly affected the elderly and those with underlying health conditions, information from Europe showed that some millennials were in ICUs with severe cases of coronavirus.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Idiots of all ages are not taking this seriously. That's been amply demonstrated both by young kids partying in Florida claiming they're invincible and middle-aged adults/retirees continuing to travel recently and then lie about their whereabouts upon their return to Canada. Stupidity is not discerned by age.

Meanwhile, in Russia: https://qz.com/1822523/russia-reports-few-coronavirus-cases-but-sharp-spike-in-pneumonia/

As stupid as those kids were, how stupid was the Governor of Florida not ordering a total shutdown of the beaches & limiting crowd sizes? He just outright refused. 

It's not hating, it's fighting ignorance. Look if it was just your own health you were putting in jeopardy no one would care, but the wilful idiocy puts everyone at risk and that's just unacceptable. Stop being a selfish jack ass and take it seriously for others. 

Just look at how exponential the spread is. That's why we need to take it seriously or we'll be like China where they had to put up temporary hospitals just to deal with the number of people getting sick.