Covid-19

JCon

11 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

Difference between financial support during a pandemic, but no it’s never the time for ubi.

In a pandemic why not? It's the ordinary working stiffs who need the most help, why not cut out the complications and just say everyone is getting a minimum income to keep food on the table and roof over your head? 

Hopefully when this all blows over we as a society can seriously re-evaluate how much we give away to the already rich and powerful and we can get some proper protections in place for the working class.

48 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Be better off giving money to employees who lose their jobs. Businesses have proven time and time again that any money doesn't get passed on to people. 

Perhaps it's time for a universal basic income.

It’s long past the time.  Studies show it works. 

30 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

In a pandemic why not? It's the ordinary working stiffs who need the most help, why not cut out the complications and just say everyone is getting a minimum income to keep food on the table and roof over your head? 

Hopefully when this all blows over we as a society can seriously re-evaluate how much we give away to the already rich and powerful and we can get some proper protections in place for the working class.

So like I said, financial aid in a pandemic, but as a whole, ubi shoes no evidence of working over long term views. Also how do you define who gets the money? Who gets to decide this? And well how much are the rich and powerful getting per year? 

16 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It’s long past the time.  Studies show it works. 

I mean it's really simple, you want a strong economy you need a robust middle class with disposable income. It's the bottom rungs that drive an economy not the top 1%. Invest in the lower classes and give the ability to spend money the economy will grow to meet this spending.

1 minute ago, Tiny759 said:

So like I said, financial aid in a pandemic, but as a whole, ubi shoes no evidence of working over long term views. Also how do you define who gets the money? Who gets to decide this? And well how much are the rich and powerful getting per year? 

Ubi shows plenty of evidence of working. And realistically is it going to cost any more than the aid that will already have to be paid by governments? I mean **** the americans are already spending trillions trying to prop up the stock market. How much more impact would trillions have for individuals?

People can study the results of the Dauphin experience into UBI a few years ago.  Probably requires further studies but it showed a lot of promise.  And Andrew Yang has a lot of info about this because it was his main policy plank in the election.  It used to go against my beliefs as a more conservative person but you cant argue with the results.  

The US (and Canada to a lesser extent) are going to end up bailing out airlines and auto makers and whomever else...huge businesses that have made massive profits and are now suddenly bankrupt?  If they cant manage their finances to absorb temporary issues, they should be compelled to pay the money back.  Its the middle class (and lower) that need support.

And when the US cries about how there is no money for anything that supports middle class and yet, suddenly there is trillions, what does that tell you.  There's always money.

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I stopped by my local LC to show support yesterday. I've stocked up enough support for a month and half, I would have said.

However, I have been working from home today and will continue to do so until March 30th and, if today is any indication, I'm going to need to restock soon. 

Kids have been out of school since last Thursday. At what point do I call it a State of Household Emergency and implement martial law here?

I can't believe they actually went ahead with this. The event took place last weekend! That was after the CFL cancelled all of its combines & FA workouts & the NHL, NBA & MLB suspended their seasons & the same day schools were closed indefinitely in Alberta. 

https://canadafootballchat.com/fpc-west-showcase-2020-mvps-preview-video-podcast/

Edited by SpeedFlex27

The GOP (and Faux News) has been instructed to refer to the COVID19 as the "Chinese virus" as often as possible to throw red meat to Trump's base. BTW: Elizabeth Warren has proposed some stunningly effective and rational conditions for any business receiving federal moneys to offset the impact of the pandemic.