Covid-19

JCon

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

I'm curious about the details on this. Does this mean interest relief too? 

Yeah, it doesn't look like it includes interest relief. So, in the end, you will pay more for your mortgage but, if you're in a financial crunch as many will be, you can free up cash for other things. 

It's a good move but hopefully not one that many have to use. 

Moreso than direct money to me, what I am really hoping is that businesses will be given injections/incentives to stay afloat and keep their staff. I'm not worried about getting sick, I'm worried about losing my job for any length of time. Really praying that my company, and the businesses whose advertising supports it, can survive for 3 months or whatever this is.

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Moreso than direct money to me, what I am really hoping is that businesses will be given injections/incentives to stay afloat and keep their staff. I'm not worried about getting sick, I'm worried about losing my job for any length of time. Really praying that my company, and the businesses whose advertising supports it, can survive for 3 months or whatever this is.

I really hope you don’t lose your job! As a graduating or near graduating uni student, I’m worried that I won’t even find a job this summer.

15 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I'm happy to have a Fed gov't job in times like this. I'm considered an essential service, so I work no matter what, but I get to do it from home.

Image result for napoleon lucky

I'm envious. I'm federal front line essential service, so we still have to show up at the office - at least for now. Things have slowed down a ton, though.

This is some crazy, unprecedented **** going on in the world. I don't have the words to accurately describe the feeling but it's all kinds of bad.

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Maybe after this experience many businesses/work places won't be so old school and will move into the modern age where most people can work form home instead of going to an office...    

They certainly should.  Its a weird thing because I recall work from home being one of those new fangled ideas years ago but businesses really got away from it.  I guess they think all employees will screw around?  My job could be done anywhere.  No reason to be in an office.  And this company, a few years, was issuing laptops to people and creating a more mobile workforce and then completely changed and now, there having a huge problem trying to switch to a work-from-home model.  

From my experiences the older folks think that employees won't do work if they are at home and think all hell will break loose. 

For myself just saving the time on the drive is huge and being able to do some things around the house during the day (laundry, tidying up) makes my quality of life improve big time.  Happy life equals... less disgruntled and more productive employee.  

16 minutes ago, Brandon said:

From my experiences the older folks think that employees won't do work if they are at home and think all hell will break loose. 

For myself just saving the time on the drive is huge and being able to do some things around the house during the day (laundry, tidying up) makes my quality of life improve big time.  Happy life equals... less disgruntled and more productive employee.  

Agreed.  Would be a huge positive for my mental well being.  Our team here is very much reinforcing to each other than we should do as good a job as possible if/when we're work-from-home so when this is over we can make a case for keeping it.

The gf had just started a part time gig, contracting doing some social media stuff for a realtor.  So with all this mind, she suggested working from home.  The realtor replied "how can I track you if you're not here."  Ummmm

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Be better off giving money to employees who lose their jobs. Businesses have proven time and time again that any money doesn't get passed on to people. 

Perhaps it's time for a universal basic income.