Covid-19

JCon

25 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Not sure if it’s official but the word going around is Alberta schools are done for the year. 

I'm fortunate that with my job that if this were to happen I could make it work. 

For so many others though it would be impossible to find home care for the children.  It's nearly impossible for people to find regular before and after school and full time day cares before this happened.... how in the world could they expect people to quit their jobs and/or take long term leave to watch their children?

8 hours ago, bb1 said:

I think we can blame all the governments for not shutting down international travel after the Wuhan situation became known. But its all moot now and we have to try to work and fight this together no sense blaming its too late.

Except it's not moot in Canada as travel to and from hasn't been banned. How does a country " flatten the curve" with potential cases coming in ?

Edited by Zontar

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

My company now requires self isolation for anyone returning  from the US since this past Friday.  

Yep, Manitoba is now recommending 14 days isolation for anyone who has traveled anywhere internationally since March 1st.  By back-dating it to the 1st, this now applies to me and my wife so we're home bound for the next 6 days (it's retroactive to the day we returned from the US).

4 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Yep, Manitoba is now recommending 14 days isolation for anyone who has traveled anywhere internationally since March 1st.  By back-dating it to the 1st, this now applies to me and my wife so we're home bound for the next 6 days (it's retroactive to the day we returned from the US).

link?  Cause that impacts people near me!

My wife arrived home last night. Flight went through YYC, as planned. Got nothing but a sheet recommending self-monitoring for 14-days. Of course, government is recommending 14 day self-isolation.

As of this morning, all international flights will have a questionnaire and will be recommending the 14-day self-isolation. Too slow for this.

Anyhow, my wife arrived late and I have had no contact. We're keeping the kids home this week because they want to be around their mother and it's not fair to send them into school after having contact with her. I expect the schools to be closed by tomorrow anyhow. 

As for me, I'm going to work today in the office and likely from home for the next two weeks. I'm fortunate that I can do this, although it's not an ideal time of the year to be doing it. 

Stay safe everyone. 

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

link?  Cause that impacts people near me!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-covid-19-coronavirus-update-1.5498470

About half-way down the article:

People who have returned from international travel in the past 14 days — including those travelling from the U.S. — are now being advised to self-isolate for 14 days. If they start having symptoms of COVID-19 in that time, they should call Health Links to be assessed, Roussin said.

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

As for me, I'm going to work today in the office and likely from home for the next two weeks. I'm fortunate that I can do this, although it's not an ideal time of the year to be doing it. 

Also fortunate that my wife and I can work from home, the new snag is that the government vpn can't handle all the traffic so they are recommending people stay off it as much as possible.  That'll make it tough for a lot of people to get anything done.

3 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Also fortunate that my wife and I can work from home, the new snag is that the government vpn can't handle all the traffic so they are recommending people stay off it as much as possible.  That'll make it tough for a lot of people to get anything done.

You can still write TB submissions and briefing notes on your laptop though, correct? Then upload them when you have access to VPN? 

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

You can still write TB submissions and briefing notes on your laptop though, correct? Then upload them when you have access to VPN? 

Yep.  Work off-line as much as possible and then connect when you need to.  It doesn't affect me much but my wife is already wondering how she'll stay busy... and we've barely started the day! 

9 minutes ago, JCon said:

Most government work these days is just sending emails that used to be accomplished through phone calls and face-to-face conversations. That and completing RASs and RAIAs. 😆

I shared that with my boss, that Canada advises isolation for those that have travelled since March 1 (which applies to a few people sitting near me).  He replied, well our policy is isolation for people travelling since this past Friday.  Oh ok.

Also confirmed they are working to have everyone work from home, just working on logistics.  In the meantime, business as usual.  Were it me, I'd have half the team at home right now just in case.  Way too much exposure in the office should someon be a carrier.