Covid-19

JCon

Three responses to COVID 19 are happening:

1. This is all being blown out of proportion by (insert favourite scapegoat: media, liberals, scientists, etc) and people taking precautions are acting like wool producing mammals.

2. We're all going to die!  Let's buy as much stuff as possible!  Where's the hand sanitizer!

3. Let's stay calm, trust the science and be proactive

The challenge: having dialogue with all three groups.

45 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

1. This is all being blown out of proportion by (insert favourite scapegoat: media, liberals, scientists, etc) and people taking precautions are acting like wool producing mammals.

2. We're all going to die!  Let's buy as much stuff as possible!  Where's the hand sanitizer!

Many have changed from 1 to 2.

iv been following this for awhile just out of intrigue. People at work laughing about the media fear mongering and it’s all nothing. A week later they’re consumed with how awful this is and we have to be protected.  

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Many have changed from 1 to 2.

iv been following this for awhile just out of intrigue. People at work laughing about the media fear mongering and it’s all nothing. A week later they’re consumed with how awful this is and we have to be protected.  

Or - more deaths are caused by the flu, diabetes, and cancer - some even mention abortions.

Together with clips of some quack, saying we just need high doses of vitamin C and D.

This point of view is the one I find most frustrating.

On 2020-03-13 at 4:51 PM, johnzo said:

thanks! My family is pretty well set up to ride this thing out -- we have no kids, tons of friends, and jobs we can work from home -- but like JCon says, school closures are really jacking folks' lives up here.  Emergency childcare + social distancing all at once, that's a nasty combination.

And we've got a lot of small businesses here that are running month-to-month and they're really going to get smacked by this. My restaurant friends are organizing fundraisers and gift card drives so that they can keep some money flowing in to pay the bills.

I'm in the event industry, with a couple of outdoor food trailers and 3 indoor units. I haven't worked for several months and was anticipating 3 events to pay the bills until my outdoor season starts.

All 3 of my events have been cancelled. I don't know what I'm going to do. I am in full on panic mode for money concerns as I have big bills that need to be paid to keep the ship moving.

If it goes into the summer, well that will be the end for my business. Anxiety through the roof 

7 minutes ago, CodyT said:

I'm in the event industry, with a couple of outdoor food trailers and 3 indoor units. I haven't worked for several months and was anticipating 3 events to pay the bills until my outdoor season starts.

All 3 of my events have been cancelled. I don't know what I'm going to do. I am in full on panic mode for money concerns as I have big bills that need to be paid to keep the ship moving.

If it goes into the summer, well that will be the end for my business. Anxiety through the roof 

Yup. My gf is a small business owner.  She’s her only employee and has had classes and clients cancel (understandably). But no sick time pay for her. No work, no pay. It’s very stressful.  

50 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yup. My gf is a small business owner.  She’s her only employee and has had classes and clients cancel (understandably). But no sick time pay for her. No work, no pay. It’s very stressful.  

Sorry to hear. This must be tough and very unsettling for her. All will be good soon.

20 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Sorry to hear. This must be tough and very unsettling for her. All will be good soon.

School bus driver here. I'm in the same boat. if they close schools I can't pay my bills as I won't get paid. The schools remain open for now. Plus, there is no such thing as social distancing in my job. The problem is getting from where we are here... to that place called soon. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

17 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

School bus driver here. I'm in the same boat. if they close schools I can't pay my bills as I won't get paid. The schools remain open for now. Plus, there is no such thing as social distancing in my job. The problem is getting from where we are here... to that place called soon. 

Yea I hear you. Sorry to hear of your situation. Just trying to keep a positive vibe going so soon arrives for all of us especially those who are in very difficult situations right now.

20 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Don't let corporate media off the hook. They chuckled at the thought of extreme measures and told us not to worry because it was no worse than the flu.

And then prioritized worries about racism or cultural insensitivity instead of warning people and calling China and Canada's relationship with China to account.

If there is such a thing as journalistic malpractice here you go.

On 2020-03-13 at 9:50 PM, Noeller said:

This is why we're getting a jump start and "over reacting". Anything to not end up like that. I have a friend that I went to high school with that married a fella from Italy so is married with kids over there. Day 23 of quarantine. Home schooling the kids. 300 Euro fine for being caught outside of your home. It's dystopian... So crazy. What we're doing now with our own lockdowns is perfectly reasonable given how this COULD go... 

yeah, and it's one of those things that's kinda like Y2K, for the oldsters out there ... tons of people-hours and money were spent to make the new millennium a non-event from an IT standpoint, and so when it went pretty smoothly, everyone was like "why did we make such a fuss about that?  Typical overreaction."

31 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Don't let corporate media off the hook. They chuckled at the thought of extreme measures and told us not to worry because it was no worse than the flu.

And then prioritized worries about racism or cultural insensitivity instead of warning people and calling China and Canada's relationship with China to account.

If there is such a thing as journalistic malpractice here you go.

I've not seen one instance of this in Canada........not calling you a liar at all, but I'd really like to see examples. I've become a bit tired of "the media" taking blame for delivering the bad news. If anything is to blame it's SOCIAL media, which goes largely unregulated and misinformation abounds. Mainstream media at least has rules and, for the most part, evidence-backed information rules the day.

31 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I've not seen one instance of this in Canada........not calling you a liar at all, but I'd really like to see examples. I've become a bit tired of "the media" taking blame for delivering the bad news. If anything is to blame it's SOCIAL media, which goes largely unregulated and misinformation abounds. Mainstream media at least has rules and, for the most part, evidence-backed information rules the day.

Not blaming  media for bad news but if the key is modifying human behaviour all the stuff they are peddling now is barn door horse advice. Inquisitive ness was absent when it was clear the situation was directed in China yet not a peep about barring travel because that was an "over reaction" and quite possibly racist.

And they're still not seeing anything wrong keeping airports humming and processing travellers from China with touch screens and questionaires.