2020 CFL Draft

Noeller

Just now, Jpan85 said:

not sure why they cant have the whole thing on TSN its not like they are not starved for live content

cheaper to run pre-produced content than live stuff. Way less overhead. But you're right...they're desperate for live stuff, just f***ing bite the bullet and air it. You'd have to think that ad clients would be on board. All the agriculture companies....seed companies...implement companies....they're all ramping up ad buys right now ahead of seeding, and there's a fair bit of crossover in target audience, so they should be big time potential clients for a full live broadcast. Alas, Toronto people behind all of it don't know what I'm talking about....

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

cheaper to run pre-produced content than live stuff. Way less overhead. But you're right...they're desperate for live stuff, just f***ing bite the bullet and air it. You'd have to think that ad clients would be on board. All the agriculture companies....seed companies...implement companies....they're all ramping up ad buys right now ahead of seeding, and there's a fair bit of crossover in target audience, so they should be big time potential clients for a full live broadcast. Alas, Toronto people behind all of it don't know what I'm talking about....

Yeah hey they didn't get rich by writing a lot of cheques.

Last year we got major contributions from 4 of our picks: Dejarlais, Kongbo, Hallet and Exume.  And we are still high on Oliveira, Griffiths, and Eli.  What a draft.  We won't have the 1st round picks this year but I'm sure we'll be able to find a couple players to contribute next year (not that we are in desperate need). I'm excited for Thursday.

13 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Last year we got major contributions from 4 of our picks: Dejarlais, Kongbo, Hallet and Exume.  And we are still high on Oliveira, Griffiths, and Eli.  What a draft.  We won't have the 1st round picks this year but I'm sure we'll be able to find a couple players to contribute next year (not that we are in desperate need). I'm excited for Thursday.

yeah that draft, and the high upside potential of Oliveira, Eli and Griffths affords us the luxury of this year not really having a need to roster someone from this draft, and would be a good draft for us to draft a futures type guy who may not surface here for a year or 2

We'll be getting significant contributions from Oliveira, most likely Griffiths and Eli this year (second yr guys at that) and more progression from Exume and Hallett...far more than what any draftee will give us this year as he learns the pro game coupled with the fact on offence all our starters and back-ups are back and with what we have brought back, and signed on defense all will be more usefull than a fresh faced college graduate...be perfect time to look at a futures guy in my opinion 

16 hours ago, Booch said:

yeah that draft, and the high upside potential of Oliveira, Eli and Griffths affords us the luxury of this year not really having a need to roster someone from this draft, and would be a good draft for us to draft a futures type guy who may not surface here for a year or 2

We'll be getting significant contributions from Oliveira, most likely Griffiths and Eli this year (second yr guys at that) and more progression from Exume and Hallett...far more than what any draftee will give us this year as he learns the pro game coupled with the fact on offence all our starters and back-ups are back and with what we have brought back, and signed on defense all will be more usefull than a fresh faced college graduate...be perfect time to look at a futures guy in my opinion 

And a futures guy is likely who would fall to us in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I'm hoping we can get a good rotational starter(d-line) in the 2nd round and then one of those falling futures picks in the 3rd.  That said I have next to zero knowledge on the draft class (pretty normal).

Edited by BBlink

Just my hunch, if Bennett is still available on BC’s first pick (3rd overall), Kyle might send Couture to BC. We are deep in OL anyways, specially at center - Speller, Eli and Kolanskowski. Desjarlais can also play the position if needed be. And BC is in need of OL specially a center. 

BC boy for a Winnipeg boy it’s a trade in the making. 😉

47 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Just my hunch, if Bennett is still available on BC’s first pick (3rd overall), Kyle might send Couture to BC. We are deep in OL anyways, specially at center - Speller, Eli and Kolanskowski. Desjarlais can also play the position if needed be. And BC is in need of OL specially a center. 

Proven veteran starter that wants to be here (despite being from BC) for a raw rookie. Pass.  O-linemen are gold!

We would look like hell if we traded Couture to anyone, after he expressed his desire to play here and re-upped right away....He knows where the winner is and it ain't on the left coast....I'd be very surprised if we dealt him...After saying that Bennett 'MIGHT' still be around because you just know the hunting for good canuck O Line guys is going to be fierce and the priority...most times always is.....But we shall see...Our O Line is very deep and is the best in the land as far as I'm concerned, so I don't see us as in the mix for an offensive line player... A DL hometown boy like Bennett would be a nice project...but a credible db would/could/should also be a consideration

2 hours ago, Stickem said:

We would look like hell if we traded Couture to anyone, after he expressed his desire to play here and re-upped right away....He knows where the winner is and it ain't on the left coast....I'd be very surprised if we dealt him...After saying that Bennett 'MIGHT' still be around because you just know the hunting for good canuck O Line guys is going to be fierce and the priority...most times always is.....But we shall see...Our O Line is very deep and is the best in the land as far as I'm concerned, so I don't see us as in the mix for an offensive line player... A DL hometown boy like Bennett would be a nice project...but a credible db would/could/should also be a consideration

If anything it would be Speller dealt out that way...Speller...a starting calibre (proven) Canadian O-lineman for that pick is win win for both teams..And still leaves us with Desjarlais..Neufeld,,Couture..Gray..Eli and Koloanskowski...still tons of National depth

I'm no CFL draft expert, but I watched most of McGill's games this year, saw a couple in person, and Andrew Seinet-Spaulding looks like a CFL nose tackle to me. Won the J.P. Metras Trophy as best USports lineman. Mock drafts have him as a about a fourth rounder. Not sure why. Size? Six feet - 285. Looked bigger to me. Was quick off the ball and disruptive despite being double and triple teamed in RSEQ. 

You're welcome for the drafting advice Kyle. 😄

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

@Booch, so you'd move Speller for the chance to add Bennett? I think I would too. We still have good National OL depth as you mentioned and I think Bennett could fill the role Kongbo did last year and he could become a starter down the line. Not that I'm a talent scout.

Yup we have a glut of O=lineman and are gonna lose one for nothing if we don't trade one...Couture..Speller..Desjarlais..Gray have all shown they can start and be very effective, and if Eli keeps his nose to the grindstone and truly has decided he is in the league for the long haul then he will be better than the aforementioned..Talking to people I know at a camp over the winter they were shocked he was in Winnipeg (shocked because of his talent and also the fact that he was back playing) because he was a legit NFL prospect..and has the ability to be dominant..hopefully an extended covid delay won't knock him off the rails again

Bennet I was hopeful would slip down in draft, but doubt it...he's better than most draft prognosis have stated...but you never know and being a Winnipeg kid if we did get him..or moved up to get him you can be assured he's be a fixture here for years

On 2020-04-29 at 7:59 AM, M.O.A.B. said:

bc is a prime candidate for us to unload some of our Ol depth on for draft assets. I dont think itd be couture though. I love gray but he is the highest upside of the none starters and almost certainly the highest paid. He, eli, desjarlais and speller are all studs though. I just hope we dont end up letting one or more of those guys go for no return. 

We are also insanely deep at return man, I could see some mid range pick flip for one of grant, nelson or whitehead. I dont think it'd be grant and I think nelson would bring the least of the 3. I would like to see whitehead in a 2nd year here though. We havent had that dynamic after the catch play maker potential in a long long time. 

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Imagine believing that the Riders had "no glaring needs", NI or otherwise...........

Yeah...thats funny...I guess oline..Canadian receiever, National DT...SAM LINEBACKER....ZERO NATIONAL DB DEPTH...Is no need..must be nice...another funny i read in a recent article was one that said the Riders had arguably the best O-line depth...believe it was penned by a Sask lackie writer as well

43 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yeah...thats funny...I guess oline..Canadian receiever, National DT...SAM LINEBACKER....ZERO NATIONAL DB DEPTH...Is no need..must be nice...another funny i read in a recent article was one that said the Riders had arguably the best O-line depth...believe it was penned by a Sask lackie writer as well

How can anyone in their right mind claim the Riders have the best OL depth? Their starting line is barely passable and they ain't got **** behind them. Unbelievable how much smoke everyone wants to blow up that teams ass.