Wild Card Race 2020

14 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Do we want them to make the playoffs and lose in the first round or miss and get a lottery pick?

We need to miss big now. We can't keep picking up points. We should be aiming for a 10th to 12th pick and hope to get lucky and move up. I suspect we'll end up with the 14th pick. 

18 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Do we want them to make the playoffs and lose in the first round or miss and get a lottery pick?

I'd be happy if we went to the playoffs and won at least one game (that's how I've always felt it's better than getting our butts kicked ala 2015 playoffs)

26 minutes ago, JCon said:

We need to miss big now. We can't keep picking up points. We should be aiming for a 10th to 12th pick and hope to get lucky and move up. I suspect we'll end up with the 14th pick. 

Yes and no. Key point in the season. Either make a run now, like right now, gaining momentum heading into the playoffs or lose the majority of your next 10 games then start calling up your AHL players. 

Just now, HardCoreBlue said:

Yes and no. Key point in the season. Either make a run now, like right now, gaining momentum heading into the playoffs or lose the majority of your next 10 games then start calling up your AHL players. 

A run for what? To pad True North's pockets and lose early in the first round? No thanks. This team can't compete with St Louis and won't. 

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

A run for what? To pad True North's pockets and lose early in the first round? No thanks. This team can't compete with St Louis and won't. 

Its interesting because I think Chevy's deadline moves and the way Maurice is making the lines shows us that Jets management has Zero confidence in the team doing anything this year.  And thats fine, its better to be realistic then to gut your team chasing chances that arent there.  Look at the hindsight heat Chevy took last year for trading for Hayes, but the team was arguably in a place to go on a run.  Not this year.

I think the Jets are in a "let the chips fall where they may" mode.  If they make the playoffs, its good for TN's balance sheet.  But they also didnt force Chevy to go for it just to make a few million dollars.  They're also not going to tank on purpose.  But neither Maurice or Chevy seem to be actively making moves to bolster the odds of making the playoffs.  They're in "next year" mode.

7 minutes ago, JCon said:

Didn't we beat St. Louis twice in row this year?  Anything can happen in the playoffs versus regular season. See Tampa Bay Lightening circa 2019.

On paper you are absolutely right, this season looks like a wash but I haven't given up hope for this year yet, very very close but not yet.

32 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Didn't we beat St. Louis twice in row this year?  Anything can happen in the playoffs versus regular season. See Tampa Bay Lightening circa 2019.

On paper you are absolutely right, this season looks like a wash but I haven't given up hope for this year yet, very very close but not yet.

Getting the first wild card spot and playing in the Pacific would be the ideal situation.

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

and oh yeah we practically kicked St.Louis's ass last regular season but they dominated over us

Commit to the tank already.

Taking a longshot at winning a good draft pick makes more sense than sneaking into the playoffs where our defense is going to get exposed. If we make it in there's a 0% chance we win 2 rounds.

Helle being an elite goaltender this year gives us a chance to steal a round or two, but he has no support.

Edited by Dr Zaius

12 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

For the night ending 2020.02.27  - CAL OTL, NSH W, WPG W

CAL   65G   73P

NSH   63G   72P

WPG    66G   72P

Dennis Beyak was saying at the end of the Jets' broadcast that, as he predicted, Calgary and Nashville were headed to the "three point game" ending aThis could be the moment we look back on if ther Jest s they were tied at 2 with under 5 minutes to go. Well, Calgary scores with 47 seconds left and it suddenly looks promising for the Jets to climb back into a playoff spot. Nashville then ties it up with 0.1 seconds left and then win it in overtime. Worst case scenario for the Jets as Nashville steals 2 points and Calgary still gets 1. This could be the moment we look back on if the Jets miss out on the playoffs by one point.