The Winnipeg Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

Just now, Wideleft said:

A.  You and I don't actually know what the majority thinks at this point, but it doesn't change the fact that anything with Grandin's name on it needs to be renamed.

B.  My answers are a lot shorter than yours.

A - I didn't say majority, I said it will cause controversy and I was proven CORRECT with that statement.  I didn't offer my own personal opinion on the name change at any point.   All I said was that it was a hard name that will cause controversy and I suggested naming it Chris Walby because he is beloved by all Winnipeg people.   I strongly recommend trying to not push a SJW outrage/crusade and reshaping what people say because that's just lame.   

B - No

6 minutes ago, Brandon said:

A - I didn't say majority, I said it will cause controversy and I was proven CORRECT with that statement.  I didn't offer my own personal opinion on the name change at any point.   All I said was that it was a hard name that will cause controversy and I suggested naming it Chris Walby because he is beloved by all Winnipeg people.   I strongly recommend trying to not push a SJW outrage/crusade and reshaping what people say because that's just lame.   

B - No

A.  This you?  "Once again.... do you represent the majority of the people.  No you don't."

B,  Nice touch, but very atypical.

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

I don't agree that Winnipeggers are so dumb, as others believe, that we can't learn some new words. If they can learn to pronounce, Byfuglien, I'm sure they can learn other words too. 

It's not like the name change will make them want to use their seatbelts or anything.

42 minutes ago, JCon said:

I don't agree that Winnipeggers are so dumb, as others believe, that we can't learn some new words. If they can learn to pronounce, Byfuglien, I'm sure they can learn other words too. 

it's not CAN'T.....it's DON'T WANT TO (...which I will fully admit there is less of in MB than AB, but it's still pretty strong...) The whole "I DON'T WANT ANYTHING TO CHANGE EVER" thing is just exhausting...

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

it's not CAN'T.....it's DON'T WANT TO (...which I will fully admit there is less of in MB than AB, but it's still pretty strong...) The whole "I DON'T WANT ANYTHING TO CHANGE EVER" thing is just exhausting...

Rage is their lifeblood.  They can't stop bitching about how bad things are for them now, but also don't want things to change.

Anger makes them happy.

5 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Took me less than 5 minutes to master the pronunciations.  Give yourself an hour and you'll be fine.

• Bishop Grandin Boulevard to Abinojii Mikanah (A-bin-oh-gee Mee-kin-ah)
  • Bishop Grandin Trail to Awasisak Meskanow (Aa-wa-sis-uk Me-ska-noh)
  • Grandin Street to Taapweewin Way (Tap-way-win)

I always thought the Boulevard could be re-named “Dennis Strongquill Memorial Parkway”

Maybe the trail could be “Jack Jacobs Pass” and the street “Tommy Prince Drive” if us anglophones are too upset to embrace an Indigenous-sounding name. 

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I always thought the Boulevard could be re-named “Dennis Strongquill Memorial Parkway”

Maybe the trail could be “Jack Jacobs Pass” and the street “Tommy Prince Drive” if us anglophones are too upset to embrace an Indigenous-sounding name. 

Let's go all the way and "unCree" our city's name to Muddy Water.  Gotta keep some Anglophones happy...

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Pothole humor

I've got a buddy that lives on Waller Ave, just off Pembina (where my wife and I crash when we come home for games) and that street is regularly on the list of Manitoba's Worst Streets (in terms of road condition) so this meme speaks to me.......it's a constant zig zag to avoid the cracks and potholes and other **** on there...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-canada-water-agency-winnipeg-1.6795047

The 2023 federal budget calls for a new national water agency to be based in Winnipeg, provided Justin Trudeau's Liberal government remains in power long enough to see it established in the Manitoba capital.

The budget announced on Tuesday calls for the creation of the Canada Water Agency, a new federal entity with a headquarters in Winnipeg.

While the federal government is still determining precisely what the new agency will do, one Winnipeg-based environmental organization expects it to become a one-stop shop for water science, water quality assessment and water management.

For now, it's unknown how many employees will be based at the Canada Water Agency's Winnipeg headquarters. According to the budget, legislation to create the agency won't be introduced until later this year.

That means the Winnipeg headquarters likely won't materialize before 2024...

36 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I've got a buddy that lives on Waller Ave, just off Pembina (where my wife and I crash when we come home for games) and that street is regularly on the list of Manitoba's Worst Streets (in terms of road condition) so this meme speaks to me.......it's a constant zig zag to avoid the cracks and potholes and other **** on there...

My in-laws live on Waller, and I absolutely agree, it's treacherous to drive down there.

last year, the CAA Manitoba list of "Worst Roads in MB" had the 307 through the Whiteshell as the #1 worst road in the province, and I can definitely understand that one. Spent my whole life, growing up, running up and down that highway. There's just so much traffic, it is constantly battered and bruised...

A bit of confession and apology to all in Winnipeg and surrounding areas... 

Two weeks ago I made a service appointment for my car today, Wednesday. However, I also added a seasonal tire change to take off my winter tires. Since, why not!, I was there anyways. 

So, the dump of snow today is my fault. I apologize wholeheartedly to all those affected.