The Winnipeg Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

7 hours ago, Brandon said:

Well it can't be nearly as bad as that insulting deal with that last group trying to get everyone else to pay for them to buy out Portage Place. 

24/7 addictions drop in center at the site however would be a kiss of death for having any sort of life/pulse at the site though.   That area needs to be heavily cleaned up and a far stronger security presence in order to get any sort of chance of people coming back to visit it.   

Safe injection site 🤦🏼

14 hours ago, Brandon said:

Yes you can,  many place around the world have enhanced security in areas for which they have tourists or other people who are willing to spend money.     I'm not saying you can't have a center but it would have to be out of sight from the main parts of downtown and the city would need to adopt a zero tolerance on public intoxication/drugs which would go a long away into gaining the publics comfort in returning to the location.   The overall opinion/feeling of downtown is that it is dead and completely disgusting and unsafe.  They would really need to clean it up to get people back.  

You're going to have to provide some proof that this approach actually works.  Works - as in actually addressing addiction and homelessness.  Warehousing addicts in jails and prisons doesn't work and is inhumane.

11 hours ago, Brandon said:

Instead of changing it to a word that nobody can pronounce and that will cause controversy regardless of the intentions... can we just rename it Chris Walby Blvd?  

Took me less than 5 minutes to master the pronunciations.  Give yourself an hour and you'll be fine.

• Bishop Grandin Boulevard to Abinojii Mikanah (A-bin-oh-gee Mee-kin-ah)
  • Bishop Grandin Trail to Awasisak Meskanow (Aa-wa-sis-uk Me-ska-noh)
  • Grandin Street to Taapweewin Way (Tap-way-win)

44 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

You're going to have to provide some proof that this approach actually works.  Works - as in actually addressing addiction and homelessness.  Warehousing addicts in jails and prisons doesn't work and is inhumane.

Visit any tourist destinations and they have a zero tolerance on this.   I don't understand the 2nd part of your quote since that has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.  

28 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Took me less than 5 minutes to master the pronunciations.  Give yourself an hour and you'll be fine.

• Bishop Grandin Boulevard to Abinojii Mikanah (A-bin-oh-gee Mee-kin-ah)
  • Bishop Grandin Trail to Awasisak Meskanow (Aa-wa-sis-uk Me-ska-noh)
  • Grandin Street to Taapweewin Way (Tap-way-win)

It took me even less time then your 5 minutes to learn that the overall feedback online is that people think the name is hard to pronounce and that they think the idea of changing the name is ridiculous.    Once again your quote makes no sense and changing the narrative of what I originally said.   

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

It took me even less time then your 5 minutes to learn that the overall feedback online is that people think the name is hard to pronounce and that they think the idea of changing the name is ridiculous.    Once again your quote makes no sense and changing the narrative of what I originally said.   

So you could spend your time learning the pronunciations and sharing them, or you could instead look up reasons not to.

Gotcha.

7 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Visit any tourist destinations and they have a zero tolerance on this.   I don't understand the 2nd part of your quote since that has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.  

It's not binary.  What is happening to the addicts in these locations?  

35 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

So you could spend your time learning the pronunciations and sharing them, or you could instead look up reasons not to.

Gotcha.

It's not binary.  What is happening to the addicts in these locations?  

A - Once again changing the narrative ,  what does my opinion have anything to do with this?  Just because you yourself believe in one way it doesn't mean that everyone else does and that everyone should conform to what you believe in.    I merely gave an opinion on what I thought the general population (i.e. more then you)  would think about this name change. Maybe the city should have the citizens vote similar to the opening of Portage and Main.   

B - Take them out of the area ?  Clearly nobody is visiting downtown now and the numero uno factor is safety.   Once again,  look at most tourists areas.  Do they allow people under the influence to harass the visitors?  Zero % chance of a Winipeg downtown being revitalized unless they address (i.e. remove)  the homeless/drugs/alcohol.   How they treat the addicts who knows,  you can have safe injection sites such as East Hastings out in Vancouver.  Basically create an area that everybody knows to avoid.    They could do the morally incorrect thing by putting them on a bus like how Las Vegas would ship people off to San Francisco.       Create a facility somewhere far enough way that they don't walk downtown.  Who knows?    The end game though is that you can't have a safe environment with people under the influence harassing the general public.  

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I worked in downtown Vancouver, a tourist trap and a heroine hotspot. Now, heroine has been replaced by meth. Same story. 

15 minutes ago, Brandon said:

A - Once again changing the narrative ,  what does my opinion have anything to do with this?  Just because you yourself believe in one way it doesn't mean that everyone else does and that everyone should conform to what you believe in.    I merely gave an opinion on what I thought the general population (i.e. more then you)  would think about this name change. Maybe the city should have the citizens vote similar to the opening of Portage and Main.   

B - Take them out of the area ?  Clearly nobody is visiting downtown now and the numero uno factor is safety.   Once again,  look at most tourists areas.  Do they allow people under the influence to harass the visitors?  Zero % chance of a Winipeg downtown being revitalized unless they address (i.e. remove)  the homeless/drugs/alcohol.   How they treat the addicts who knows,  you can have safe injection sites such as East Hastings out in Vancouver.  Basically create an area that everybody knows to avoid.    They could do the morally incorrect thing by putting them on a bus like how Las Vegas would ship people off to San Francisco.       Create a facility somewhere far enough way that they don't walk downtown.  Who knows?    The end game though is that you can't have a safe environment with people under the influence harassing the general public.  

A.  Not changing the narrative.  Just pointing out you're looking for excuses to not learn the pronunciation of these aboriginal words.  Do you always yield to group think?  Instead of casually polling comment threads, you could actually think about why these changes are being made and why that's important.

B.  You are confusing actions with solutions and even admit that you don't know what to do with them once they're moved.  That's not a solution to anything - it's just a police action.

33 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

A.  Not changing the narrative.  Just pointing out you're looking for excuses to not learn the pronunciation of these aboriginal words.  Do you always yield to group think?  Instead of casually polling comment threads, you could actually think about why these changes are being made and why that's important.

B.  You are confusing actions with solutions and even admit that you don't know what to do with them once they're moved.  That's not a solution to anything - it's just a police action.

A - I said the general population may and most likely will not be a fan of the changes,  just because everyone is not in agreeance with you doesn't mean your opinion is the only valid one.   I'd suggest keeping an open mind, its unhealthy to have a focused tunnel vision of reality.   You don't need to shape anyone elses comments to fit your own narrative.   People will have some push back on a name change because of the reasons I outlined.  

B -  I'm keeping it very simple...  the current Winnipeg downtown is dead and the publics opinion is that it's very unsafe.  How do you make it safe... you need to clean it up.  You can't have homeless shelters and/or safe injection sites in an area that you want an average citizen to visit.   This is reality and not an opinion.  

10 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Giving them a safe place and needles is not helping other then reducing their chances of avoiding a needle disease. Dry em out, either clinically, legally or forcefully. 

Whats AA for drugs? 🤔

AA for drugs is a rehab facility.  In a perfect world everyone could go to rehab and hope to get clean,  unfortunately the city and province do not have the money to fund this.   Also it would be "unethical" to force someone to go to rehab to get clean.    

22 minutes ago, Brandon said:

A - I said the general population may and most likely will not be a fan of the changes,  just because everyone is not in agreeance with you doesn't mean your opinion is the only valid one.   I'd suggest keeping an open mind, its unhealthy to have a focused tunnel vision of reality.   You don't need to shape anyone elses comments to fit your own narrative.   People will have some push back on a name change because of the reasons I outlined.  

B -  I'm keeping it very simple...  the current Winnipeg downtown is dead and the publics opinion is that it's very unsafe.  How do you make it safe... you need to clean it up.  You can't have homeless shelters and/or safe injection sites in an area that you want an average citizen to visit.   This is reality and not an opinion.  

A.  I'd suggest someone who is open to learning First Nations' words is not the closed-minded one.

B. This is often the problem with your proposed "solutions".

Safe injection sites as stand-alone facilities work to an extent. They work best in conjunction with "registered addict programs", safe housing and ongoing healthcare. Several countries have very successful programs-- Switzerland and Portugal for two. There programs have been very successful in reducing medical crises among addict/users, reducing drug-related crime and prevalence of dealers, demands on  demands on healthcare, police and courts/jails, and overall reduction in active chemical dependents. 

Edited by Tracker

36 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

A.  I'd suggest someone who is open to learning First Nations' words is not the closed-minded one.

B. This is often the problem with your proposed "solutions".

A - Once again.... do you represent the majority of the people.  No you don't.   Your opinion doesn't reflect the reality.   

B - I have to simplify because otherwise you will go on a tangent that is unrelated because you cannot shape whatever is being said into your own agenda.   Sometimes reality sucks,   our downtown is awful and possibly the worst one across Canada.  You can't live in denial of the truth.  

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

A - Once again.... do you represent the majority of the people.  No you don't.   Your opinion doesn't reflect the reality.   

B - I have to simplify because otherwise you will go on a tangent that is unrelated because you cannot shape whatever is being said into your own agenda.   Sometimes reality sucks,   our downtown is awful and possibly the worst one across Canada.  You can't live in denial of the truth.  

A.  You and I don't actually know what the majority thinks at this point, but it doesn't change the fact that anything with Grandin's name on it needs to be renamed.

B.  My answers are a lot shorter than yours.