The Winnipeg Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

Not necessarily Winnipeg-related but most Winnipeggers know of this place on the 44 Hwy.: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/fire-hotel-rennie-manitoba-1.6678525

A small community in southeastern Manitoba lost one of the few businesses that remained when a fire destroyed the Rennie Hotel on Thursday morning.

"It's going to be devastating to the community," said Blaine Webster, a councillor in the rural municipality of Reynolds.

A post office attached to the hotel also "looks like it's finished."

The hotel has been closed for about two months, so there were no injuries, he said. But the fire puts an end to any hope it would reopen.

"We've been expecting something to happen," said Webster, who spoke to CBC News while watching fire crews soak the rubble while a bulldozer pushed down what was left of the hotel, originally built in 1939.

"It's going to be pretty much knocked down to the ground here pretty soon," he said around 8:30 a.m.

Flames and smoke started pouring out of the hotel, alongside Highway 44, around 2:30 a.m. Firefighters from two volunteer departments in the area — Whitemouth and West Hawk — have been fighting the fire since then.

Without the hotel and post office, there's little left in terms of businesses in the town of about 100 people, Webster said.

The hotel's owners also operate a gas station across the street, but it too has been closed for more than a month.

"This is the first time in many, many years that this town has been basically shut down," Webster said from a nearby restaurant "that's basically the only business left right now."

Rennie is about 100 kilometres east of Winnipeg. That section of Highway 44 has been closed to traffic while crews fight the fire.

RCMP are investigating the cause of the fire with assistance from the Office of the Fire Commissioner.

it's awful for a really small community like that. Pinawa's motel/bar caught on fire about 10 years ago, and the motel was mostly saved, but the bar was ashes and still hasn't been rebuilt. It's a major loss for small communities. 

I seem to remember a small minority of very liberal people crying up a storm when the downtown library had installed weapons checks at the entrance a year or two ago and demanded that they go away.   They were very local and loud back then... suddenly those folks are very quiet after someone gets killed in the library.     

I am mildly surprised to discover that a not-inconsiderable amount of Christmas gifts I ordered (ok... a few of them are for me), have been stranded in Winnipeg.

i) I had no idea that this company, which I am a big fan of and have spent many tens of thousands of dollars with, ships its merchandise out of Manitoba.

ii) I can only presume that they are holding it up and jeopardizing my Christmas plans because they know I'm an Argo supporter and are still sore at me after last month.

1 hour ago, bluto said:

I am mildly surprised to discover that a not-inconsiderable amount of Christmas gifts I ordered (ok... a few of them are for me), have been stranded in Winnipeg.

i) I had no idea that this company, which I am a big fan of and have spent many tens of thousands of dollars with, ships its merchandise out of Manitoba.

ii) I can only presume that they are holding it up and jeopardizing my Christmas plans because they know I'm an Argo supporter and are still sore at me after last month.

Nobody in Winnipeg thinks Argo supporters exist.

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Sorry to quote myself here... but @Noeller 'liking' this made me laugh. No wonder the guy won't accept my IG follow.

Ok... my package has made some progress, so whichever one of you it was that was holding it up in Winnipeg is off the hook.

But for some godforsaken reason it is now scanned in to Niagara On The Lake? It's only a 2 hour drive from there to my shop, assuming decent traffic (heh), so hopefully I get them before Christmas Eve...

Update: Christmas is saved.

I don't know that it was a blocked MBB member who tried to pull a Grinch move on me... But I'd guess that if I pried into the lives of the members who I have blocked that one of them would in fact work in the Shipping and Logistics department of Indian Motorcycles Canada.

Merry Christmas Manitoba, may your days be merry and bright.

Just now, bluto said:

Update: Christmas is saved.

I don't know that it was a blocked MBB member who tried to pull a Grinch move on me... But I'd guess that if I pried into the lives of the members who I have blocked that one of them would in fact work in the Shipping and Logistics department of Indian Motorcycles Canada.

Merry Christmas Manitoba, may your days be merry and bright.

Glad to hear you got your stuff.

Who was the carrier/shipper of your parcels?

15 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Glad to hear you got your stuff.

Who was the carrier/shipper of your parcels?

Purolator

Edit: good point! They may be at Purolator... None of my parcels from them may be safe anymore... (although I'd rest better if it turns out that they aren't at Indian)

Edited by bluto
Picking up what blue_gold_84 is putting down