The Winnipeg Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-murray-pembina-1.6599463?

I'm shocked the CBC would publish such a salacious take on Glen Murray.  I wonder if this will impact his numbers once the word gets out?

Murray is polling at 50%. He could be accused of a major crime and still win.

2 hours ago, JCon said:

I don't understand how someone could vote for Murray. 

Ever since Norrie, every mayor is 2 and out. Katz was 3 time winner but the first was a by-election so it dont count but is a reminder Murray abandoned us half way into 2nd term. Also left us with this...

3540062.jpg

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

3 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Ever since Norrie, every mayor is 2 and out. Katz was 3 time winner but the first was a by-election so it dont count but is a reminder Murray abandoned us half way into 2nd term.

God, I hope we're better than that. 

8 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Ever since Norrie, every mayor is 2 and out. Katz was 3 time winner but the first was a by-election so it dont count but is a reminder Murray abandoned us half way into 2nd term. Also left us with this...

3540062.jpg

Last time he was polling at 40% and this news article didn't get out.     I remember when Bowman swooped in and won his first election.   

I assume most people are leaning towards Murray because he's a familiar name and the fact that the pool has 11 candidates really murks it up.   

Just now, Brandon said:

Last time he was polling at 40% and this news article didn't get out.     I remember when Bowman swooped in and won his first election.   

I assume most people are leaning towards Murray because he's a familiar name and the fact that the pool has 11 candidates really murks it up.   

There was another anti-Murray story couple months ago with not much effect.

23 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

3540062.jpg

"He's a chaotic personality."

The above line in the article caught my attention.

I'm guessing that pretty much sums up what we don't see in how certain people present themselves on social media and formal gatherings. 

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

3540062.jpg

The only reasons mayors are two and out though is because they don’t run for a third term. No incumbent has been defeated for 65 years. Murray is the closest thing this election has to an incumbent. 

Who stands out in terms of quality of the ones running for mayor? I think with so many candidates and no huge names or anyone making any positive splashes, it is easy to see why Murray would take it. I haven't taken much of a dive into policies, but it is hard for the average voter to do when there are so many options.

On 2022-09-29 at 7:41 PM, WildPath said:

Who stands out in terms of quality of the ones running for mayor? I think with so many candidates and no huge names or anyone making any positive splashes, it is easy to see why Murray would take it. I haven't taken much of a dive into policies, but it is hard for the average voter to do when there are so many options.

If you want a progressive city that actually acts like a city should, vote Loney.  If you want more of the same barely treading water, Gillingham. 

12 hours ago, nate007 said:

If you want a progressive city that actually acts like a city should, vote Loney.  If you want more of the same barely treading water, Gillingham. 

I did some initial investigation shortly after I posted my last comment. Loney is definitely the favourite for me right now. Great vision and good experience. Listened to and read some of the stuff he's done before considering entering politics and its great. Hopefully some of Murray's support fades with the latest revelations and moves to Loney.

12 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Split the vote? Combined it's still not enough.

probe-research-mayoral-poll-for-winnipeg.jpg

I think it is still a legitimate point. A name like Murray gets off to strong start due to name recognition and knowledge that he is a known commodity that didn't completely mess up the city already. As people get closer to the election and realize they need to do some research (like myself), they gain knowledge of other candidates. If they see Murray with a commanding lead already, they see little point to choose either Gillingham or Loney thinking that it is already decided.

Fortunately it seems like Klein and Motkaluk don't have a chance. I feel like I can't even consider Gillingham - anyone that has even flirted with the current Manitoba PC's is pretty much automatically disqualified for me.

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

Careful, she'll have her brother sue you. 

She's a nutter. Always has been. Hopefully, this will be the last we see of her. 

She seemed somewhat more stable back in 2018 when she ran and lost but she's full blown batshit now, spewing the tired alt-right "talking points" about wokeism, populism, and cancel culture.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/motkaluk-anti-vaccine-activists-the-forks-canada-day-1.6604812

Winnipeg mayoral candidate Jenny Motkaluk spoke in front of a crowd that included anti-vaccine mandate activists when she reiterated her desire for The Forks to change the name of its Canada Day celebrations. 

Motkaluk spoke about "the woke mob" who she said tried to "intimidate" her after she criticized the decision of The Forks to change its Canada Day event earlier this summer. 

"No one should tell you that you should be ashamed of our city. And when I'm mayor of Winnipeg no one is going to tell me or my neighbours that we should be ashamed of our country or who we are," Motkaluk said.

People in the crowd waved Canadian flags and signs reading "Mandate Freedom" alongside "Vote Jenny Motkaluk for Mayor." 

The crowd included a number of people who have spoken against measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, such as Sharon Vickner, who was recently fined thousands of dollars for repeatedly violating public health restrictions.

When reporters pointed this out, Motkaluk said she "wouldn't know anything about that."

"I know that there are people here who believe in Canada and who are horrified that the Forks chose to cancel it and who share my values," she said.

Throughout the news conference, Motkaluk took aim at a wide range of perceived opponents, including the media, the "ivory tower," "poli-sci pundits," "leaders of public sector unions," and "limousine liberals." 

"In Canada, we already do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, ethnicity, age or religion," she said.

"I reject woke culture. I reject critical race theory and the attempt to disrupt our community with fake news, fake labels, and collective guilt for our imperfect past."

At a mayoral forum last week, Motkaluk was booed by members of the audience after she stood up and told the crowd that she was done wearing masks and social distancing. The event was held at the University of Manitoba, which has a mask requirement, but Motkaluk was the only candidate who did refused to wear one. 

Earlier this summer, Motkaluk criticized the decision of The Forks to rename its Canada Day event as "A New Day," which included a range of cross-cultural programming, including traditional Indigenous drumming, pow-wow dancing, craft stations, and musical and theatre performances.

The organization said in the past it has not cancelled Canada Day celebrations, but has "reimagined" July 1 celebrations like following months-long Indigenous-led roundtable discussions with a variety of community members, following the discoveries of potential unmarked graves associated with residential school sites across Canada. 

"If we fail to show that pride every July 1st, then the Canada that we know and love will actually cease to exist," Motkaluk said at the rally on Monday.

Looks like the pandemic made turned her brain to mush.