The Winnipeg Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

On 2022-09-02 at 9:32 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Kevin Klein is an empty suit. 

On 2022-09-03 at 2:12 PM, iHeart said:

Hooray! I have a near Husky near my home and it will be great to have a Co-op in it's place. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-financial-deficit-forecast-1.6573624

The City of Winnipeg's expected budget shortfall at the end of this fiscal year has grown by $2 million in the last three months.

In its last quarterly update in March, the city projected a deficit of $53.9 million. It now expects expenditures to exceed revenues by $55.9 million.

Winnipeg Transit's forecast deficit also grew, from $10.5 million to $14.7 million.

The main pressures driving up costs are the heavy snowfall the city received last winter and rising fuel prices, along with continued impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Financial officials had projected fuel prices between $1.14 and $1.25 per litre in 2022 but now expect prices between $1.48 and $1.69 per litre for the rest of the year — an increase of 30 per cent.

That amounts to projected financial impacts of $9.3 million for general revenue, transit and other costs.

A late-spring snowstorm drove up spending on snow removal and ice control, on top of the $34.2 million in extra expenditures the finance committee approved at its meeting in April.

Total snow removal and ice control costs are now expected to be $40.3 million this year.

Last year, the city budgeted $41.3 million for COVID-19 impacts. It now forecasts $40.3 million for pandemic-related costs.

3 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

We obviously need to arm babysitters against gun toting toddlers. 

I hope the adult "responsible" for the gun faces criminal charges of endangering children and improper storage of the firearm, at the very least. 

33 minutes ago, JCon said:

We obviously need to arm babysitters against gun toting toddlers. 

I hope the adult "responsible" for the gun faces criminal charges of endangering children and improper storage of the firearm, at the very least. 

No no no. We need more police, body armour for sitters and more Jesus.

25 minutes ago, JCon said:

For example? 

Police constables making $200+K plus seems a little rich - that's more than every Departmental Director (and the mayor).

And why are members of the PD not identified by name?  These are incomes - not addresses.

https://winnipeg.ca/cao/reports/2021-Compensation-Disclosure.pdf

48 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Police constables making $200+K plus seems a little rich - that's more than every Departmental Director (and the mayor).

And why are members of the PD not identified by name?  These are incomes - not addresses.

https://winnipeg.ca/cao/reports/2021-Compensation-Disclosure.pdf

Police salaries are crazy high, especially when you consider they are getting a defined benefit pension on top of those earnings.  

Don't agree with publishing names with salaries unless you are an elected official.  Surprised most of the names published are for people lower on the pay-scale.  Wonder if it is a privacy thing where people can opt out.

10 minutes ago, Rich said:

Police salaries are crazy high, especially when you consider they are getting a defined benefit pension on top of those earnings.  

Don't agree with publishing names with salaries unless you are an elected official.  Surprised most of the names published are for people lower on the pay-scale.  Wonder if it is a privacy thing where people can opt out.

I'm on a different list.  We have no option to opt out if we make more than 75K.

Our police salaries are ridiculous and the fleecing they do with "overtime" is insane. 

It's arbitration. They take every single request and bump up their salaries. 

We need fewer police and more resources for those in crisis. 

I'm a professional and my salary has been published for years; however, my pay range is also published, so nothing should be a surprise. 

That being said, my counterparts, who don't have their salaries published (in private industry) make some serious coin. I just wish the industry average and mean were published along side. 

4 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Probably for same reason a lot of PD have a PO Box for an addy.

4 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Many Police work undercover and also are targets from criminals either via violence or potential blackmail.    It would be a really bad idea to publish the names of the officers for the general public to easily find them. 

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Many Police work undercover and also are targets from criminals either via violence or potential blackmail.    It would be a really bad idea to publish the names of the officers for the general public to easily find them. 

That's fine for undercover officers (not that they'd use their real name anyway).  There's not a single PD employee who is identified by name on that list.  Teachers, doctors, nurses, firemen, politicians, bus drivers are all on these public lists.  I don't agree with the special treatment.

6 hours ago, Wideleft said:

That's fine for undercover officers (not that they'd use their real name anyway).  There's not a single PD employee who is identified by name on that list.  Teachers, doctors, nurses, firemen, politicians, bus drivers are all on these public lists.  I don't agree with the special treatment.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic?     You do realize that officers rotate between units and that even if an officer is not undercover that having their name listed in public makes it extremely easy for organized criminals to find who is police and can target them right?   Common sense would dictate that a smart criminal could collect each of the names and pictures (social media or other means) and then down the road if they are making a deal with an unknown person that they could potentially look at those pictures and see that officer John Smith looks identical to unknown drug dealer with a made up name.....

11 hours ago, Brandon said:

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic?     You do realize that officers rotate between units and that even if an officer is not undercover that having their name listed in public makes it extremely easy for organized criminals to find who is police and can target them right?   Common sense would dictate that a smart criminal could collect each of the names and pictures (social media or other means) and then down the road if they are making a deal with an unknown person that they could potentially look at those pictures and see that officer John Smith looks identical to unknown drug dealer with a made up name.....

Not being sarcastic and why would a cop concerned about their identity be on social media?

25 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Not being sarcastic and why would a cop concerned about their identity be on social media?

LEO's are definitely targets for criminals and keeping their identities somewhat private is understandable.  You'd be amazed at how stupid/brazen some people can be if they get a hold of that information.  

My dad was a CO at Stoney before he retired and at least a couple of his co-workers had people show up at their house and "recommend" they help get stuff into the prison.  It didn't go the way they hoped but still scary to think that these people had the nerve to show up to where these guys and their families lived.  Going to (or back to) prison isn't a deterrent for some people so what do they have to lose?

20 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

LEO's are definitely targets for criminals and keeping their identities somewhat private is understandable.  You'd be amazed at how stupid/brazen some people can be if they get a hold of that information.  

My dad was a CO at Stoney before he retired and at least a couple of his co-workers had people show up at their house and "recommend" they help get stuff into the prison.  It didn't go the way they hoped but still scary to think that these people had the nerve to show up to where these guys and their families lived.  Going to (or back to) prison isn't a deterrent for some people so what do they have to lose?

If only there was some kind of law enforcement mechanism that would address people walking head-first into a crime.

11 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

That's a whole different topic.  You asked why some people would want/need to hide their names and I gave you an example. 

Dr's who perform abortions are also at risk and yet they appear on public lists.  All sorts of public servants can be targets for corruption and threats.

Worries about members of law enforcement being willing/coerced partners in crime says a lot about people's confidence in LE. 

Edited by Wideleft

8 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Dr's who perform abortions are also at risk and yet they appear on public lists.  All sorts of public servants can be targets for corruption and threats.

In this day and age with online harassments and an inability to track or police it, we shouldn't publish anyone's names. You can still post the average and mean for each position category, without publishing a name. I'm not really certain what publishing the name aims to achieve?

But I definitely do not want the names of police published.