The Winnipeg Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

And unlike Fun Mountain, the fish are biting :D

Cat bite at St Norb has been solid, from what I can tell! Hoping water levels and current recede a bit before I'm home in August...

12 hours ago, Mark H. said:

If it's cat bite you're after, come & try night fishing at Chalet Beach.

awesome. I've never fished Chalet in summer. That's always our starting point for winter, though. Chalet to "The Mouth" to hit that wonderful 10-2 bite window for monster Walters! :)

10 hours ago, Noeller said:

awesome. I've never fished Chalet in summer. That's always our starting point for winter, though. Chalet to "The Mouth" to hit that wonderful 10-2 bite window for monster Walters! :)

There are good night fishing spots on the Red too, but Chalet Beach is by far the best.

4 hours ago, iHeart said:

The Forks and Knives is trending.

On 2022-06-27 at 12:27 PM, iHeart said:

RIP Fun Mountain

The now former owner has said it's been sold and the new owners have opted not to keep the waterpark going...boy I had some fun the few times I was there, really wish Tinkertown bought it though

I remember first going there in the mid 80's when I was in my 20's. Good times. 

https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/?archive=&item=55460

News Release - Manitoba

July 12, 2022

STATEMENT FROM PREMIER STEFANSON ON UNWAVERING SUPPORT FOR WINNIPEG POLICE OFFICERS

First and foremost, I want to offer my unwavering support for our front-line police officers. Every single day you put your lives on the line to protect the people of our city and province. Thank you for the critical work you do to keep our communities safe and enforce the law.

The recent crime activity on the streets of Winnipeg are deeply concerning. Let me be clear, violent attacks against innocent civilians will never be acceptable. Manitobans deserve to feel safe and protected in their community.

Manitobans expect their elected officials to take matters of public safety seriously and we are doing just that.

Today, in response to these deeply concerning incidences, I spoke by phone with Moe Sabourin, president of the Winnipeg Police Association (WPA), to offer my government’s support to its officers.

We both agreed the incidents cannot be the new normal in Winnipeg.

Upon my return to Winnipeg, following the Council of Federation meeting, I look forward to a further discussion with the WPA and its members to identify concrete solutions to ensure our law enforcement has the resources they need to stop violent criminals.

Somehow, I don't believe her.

23 hours ago, Tracker said:

Should be able to bill them for that.

Their salaries were being paid regardless.  You'd have to somehow make a case that 'they neglected duties in other jurisdictions.'

If you exclude salaries, it's not really worth pursuing.

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Their salaries were being paid regardless.  You'd have to somehow make a case that 'they neglected duties in other jurisdictions.'

If you exclude salaries, it's not really worth pursuing.

I have little doubt that a lot of overtime was accrued that would not have been if this had not occurred.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

3 levels of government put up total of $550M for Phase 2 of North End sewage plant upgrades | CBC News

Some good news, though it looks like sewage dumping into the river won't even begin to be addressed until stage 3 and then it won't even be stopped completely.

The biosolids facilities store and treat sludge produced during the treatment of wastewater and convert it to biosolids that can be reused as fertilizer and soil.

The upgrades will also increase the plant's capacity, which will lessen the need to dump wastewater into bodies of water when the facility is overwhelmed.

"While this upgrade will address the city's roughly four to five per cent of nutrient loading that contributes to harmful algae blooms in and around Lake Winnipeg, we will continue to need to see a plan and actions to address the remaining 95 per cent that comes from other sources in Manitoba, from other provinces and from other states," he said.

• 2 weeks later...