The Winnipeg Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/southern-chiefs-organization-will-transform-bay-into-multi-use-building-pm-in-winnipeg-friday-for-announcement-576419122.html at the iconic store, according to sources with knowledge of the negotiations.

wntown Winnipeg into a multi-use building, the Free Press has learned.

The deal will be officially unveiled Friday when SCO Grand Chief Jerry Daniels, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and others gather for a news conference at the iconic store, according to sources with knowledge of the negotiations.

3 hours ago, JCon said:

If you get the right tenants, it will be fine. The bones are good, it just needs cosmetic updates. 

Apparently the provincial government has committed as much as 25 million dollars to the project, which will convert the old Bay building into a mixture of office space and residential use.

55 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Apparently the provincial government has committed as much as 25 million dollars to the project, which will convert the old Bay building into a mixture of office space and residential use.

10 million 

1 minute ago, MOBomberFan said:

Should have been an indoor waterslide

Would be cheaper to build one from scratch. Just the asbestos cleaning alone gonna cost a fortune 

I’m going to guess 600 Million for the full project to be completed. The only original part that will remain is the outer wall. Can’t have residential space without windows so that can only be the outer ring, unless the hollow out the middle for a “courtyard” type space. Abandoning 1/3 or more of the square footage. 

7 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I rather suspect that the successful bidders will have PC connections.

Guaranteed. 

14 hours ago, Brandon said:

Are the bones good?  The last times I went to the Bay it looked like the place was falling apart.   

Yup. It's a solid structure. 

Some in gov't (not gov't per se) have long had an interest in that building. They wanted it preserved, somehow. They even looked at scooping it up and redeveloping it into an archive, along with some other stuff. 

17 minutes ago, bustamente said:

So many people dealing with flooded streets and flooded homes, people looking for help are directed to this location on Waverley for sandbags, good luck this city doesn't care about you

shredded-sandbags.jpg

Back in high school, they made us go sandbagging. It was fun times  

Is there an app that can do that now? 

The bay does have good bones. Asbestos removal won't cost that much, probably a couple hundred grand.  But I'd suspect In the end, it will be well over 100 million in total. 

600 million is ridiculous.  You can build brand new for less 

Edited by Goalie

19 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Back in high school, they made us go sandbagging. It was fun times  

Is there an app that can do that now? 

The bay does have good bones. Asbestos removal won't cost that much, probably a couple hundred grand.  But I'd suspect In the end, it will be well over 100 million in total. 

600 million is ridiculous.  You can build brand new for less 

Yes you can, that my whole point. All the elevators, escalators etc are in the centre of the building, completely inaccessible to perimeter residential units, or  need to be removed a a centre courtyard. Without and concept drawings or anything it is impossible to say but it is 100’s of millions not 100 million. The recent federal budget allocated fund for affordable housing at $250000 per unit, these will cost more than that and this will likely be the only MB project funded by that initiative. 

On 2022-04-24 at 9:54 PM, GCJenks said:

Yes you can, that my whole point. All the elevators, escalators etc are in the centre of the building, completely inaccessible to perimeter residential units, or  need to be removed a a centre courtyard. Without and concept drawings or anything it is impossible to say but it is 100’s of millions not 100 million. The recent federal budget allocated fund for affordable housing at $250000 per unit, these will cost more than that and this will likely be the only MB project funded by that initiative. 

Who owns the cash cow parking lot?