The Winnipeg Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

12 hours ago, iHeart said:

Thank goodness the lady who owns it is a complete nutjob.    It's unfortunate that the place is in such bad shape.  

48 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Thank goodness the lady who owns it is a complete nutjob.    It's unfortunate that the place is in such bad shape.  

Whoever buys it better change the name before doing anything else, otherwise they'll still be associated with her.

36 minutes ago, Sard said:

Whoever buys it better change the name before doing anything else, otherwise they'll still be associated with her.

Fun Mountain has gone through many owners over the years.  

I think the larger concern is finding someone with the money to buy it and then fix it up.  WIth all the indoor waterparks and smaller waterparks around the province I don't think Fun Mountain has the same draw as it once did. 

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

Fun Mountain has gone through many owners over the years.  

I think the larger concern is finding someone with the money to buy it and then fix it up.  WIth all the indoor waterparks and smaller waterparks around the province I don't think Fun Mountain has the same draw as it once did. 

Oh, I'm aware that it's gone through many ownership changes.  The difference this time is that she's a vocal nut job and that stink is now associated with the Fun Mountain name.  The new owners would definitely want to distance themselves from that.

Agreed though that it isn't the same draw that it used to be and that the land is the most valuable part of that... needs the right person to come in with some ideas to reimagine the place as something that will bring people in.

6 hours ago, iHeart said:

She truly is a nut job,   some of the rants that she had left online are insane.  The lady needs help. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2021-11-24 at 4:56 PM, Brandon said:

She truly is a nut job,   some of the rants that she had left online are insane.  The lady needs help. 

It'll never reopen. Someone will buy the property & build homes or a shopping mall. I used to go to Fun Mountain when I was in my 20's three or 4 times a summer. Great fun. Single ladies... Wet & Wild in Lockport had crazier slides but both were cool. Bygone days now, sadly. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

The John Blumberg Golf Course will remain the City of Winnipeg's property, much to the mayor's dismay.

On Thursday, Winnipeg city council voted 13-3 against the sale of the land that's been declared surplus since 2013.

I don't have a problem converting some of the City owned golf courses into greenspace/parks for everyone. I don't like the idea of turning them over to developers. 

But, Blumberg is not even in Winnipeg! It's probably time to turn that over. Totally bizarre that they did a RFP, got bids, picked one and now won't sell. They should sell it and use the proceeds to make some capital improvements to our parks. 

I can't believe that (or can I?) that the mayor could not fix our property department and repair the damage done by Katz during his tenure. Bowman's legacy is one of utter failure to accomplish anything. 

Edited by JCon
Typing is hard.

3 hours ago, JCon said:

I don't have a problem converting some of the City owned golf courses into greenspace/parks for everyone. I don't like the idea of turning them over to developers. 

But, Blumberg is not even in Winnipeg! It's probably time to turn that over. Totally bizarre that they did a RFP, got bids, picked one and now won't sell. They should sell it and use the proceeds to make some capital improvements to our parks. 

I can't believe that (or can I?) that the mayor could not fix our property department and repair the damage done by Katz during his tenure. Bowman's legacy is one of utter failure to accomplish anything. 

If I had to guess the balked at going through with the sale as they realized that Headingly was not going to approve the development plan and then the city could be in trouble with the purchaser. City needs to come up with a plan that the RM agrees with prior to the sale. I predict this goes on for a few more years.