The Winnipeg Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

4 hours ago, JCon said:

Finland and Canada have near identical GDP per capita numbers. I like the approach because a $100 fine to someone living in poverty is much different than a $100 fine to someone wealthy. If it's meant to be a deterrent, it should impact both parties equally. 

Agreed but each persons situation is different.   Some people are hard working and unfortunately live in poverty.   Some people like my old neighbours choose to live in poverty out of lazyiness and entitlement and believe everyone should pay for them.    This is why the "appeal" process is where all fines should be determined and how they currently are assessed.    

7 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Like Finland being the third richest country in the world? 

Sorry if I didn't specify in which way how Finlands financial standard of living is,  in comparison to the completely irrelevant GDP map that you had.

Are you suggesting that the standard of living in Finland is on par with Canada?   I'd like for you to show me areas with massive poverty similar to what we even have in our province. 

Edited by Brandon

Just now, Brandon said:

Sorry if I didn't specify in which way such as the completely irrelevant GDP map that you had.

Are you suggesting that the standard of living in Finland is on par with Canada?   I'd like for you to show me areas with massive poverty similar to what we even have in our province.  Please show. 

You made a claim without any proof to back it up. You think ticketing based on income is ridiculous but Finland does just that while sharing a similar GDP to Canada (https://www.gfmag.com/global-data/economic-data/richest-countries-in-the-world). (https://versus.com/en/canada-vs-finland)

If GDP is irrelevant, what's the alternative that substantiates your claim that Finland is the third richest country in the world?

Don't apologize; just present evidence. 

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

You made a claim without any proof to back it up. You think ticketing based on income is ridiculous but Finland does just that while sharing a similar GDP to Canada (https://www.gfmag.com/global-data/economic-data/richest-countries-in-the-world). (https://versus.com/en/canada-vs-finland)

If GDP is irrelevant, what's the alternative that substantiates your claim that Finland is the third richest country in the world?

Don't apologize; just present evidence. 

Your info map has the United States in the top 5.   Are you suggesting that the standard of living is better in the United States compared to Finland which is lower in your chart?    

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Ooooh, FF Tactics. Such a solid OG game.

To this day I'm waiting for a Tactics games from any franchise that can hold a candle to FF tactics... still waiting.

In case anyone is confused... the quote applies to the discussion re: scaling tickets based on income... fines of any size aren't a penalty if you can afford to pay it without being inconvenienced. If you're rich enough, you can commit fine-able infractions with impunity. Oh was I speeding again? Opens cheque book How much this time?

Edited by MOBomberFan

On 2021-10-20 at 11:07 PM, Brandon said:

This might be the most ridiculously bad idea ever.  

Personally, I always liked the pilot project used by Stockholm, Sweden. Cameras are fitted to issue tickets, but also track when vehicles obey or are below the speed limit.

Drivers that obey the rules are entered into a lottery to win cash prizes. The prize pool is funded by the fines of people that speed.

Of course, Winnipeg would never go for this idea because we actively rely upon speeding ticket revenue.

14 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

I really should get a Switch already. It would be my first handheld gaming system since the original grey brick Gameboy

As a grown adult - highly recommended. Though I will say if RPGs are your cup of tea, it can be a bit sparse - if you like a variety of game types though - and also enjoy being able to play games with your wife / child casually - the Switch is great.

Only complaint I have with it is Nintendo hasn't come to an agreement with Netflix, so it doesn't have that on it.

36 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm not a gamer at all... I play retro units like Genesis and NES or N64 of I play at all........ But...... I've been kinda thinking about an Xbox or PS5 lately. Just not sure I'd use it enough to justify the price tag... 

I will also say that the Nintendo Switch has a subscription package option - for $25 a year you get access to a slew of old NES and SNES games on emulator format. It's the equivalent of XBox Live or whatever, except as an emulator you can pause and rewind games. It's nice because if I (for example) wanted to dredge up and play some old Tecmo Bowl on the NES, instead of dragging out my old NES and finding the cartridge - you can access it through the Switch membership in minutes.

Also lets you more easily save your progress, so if you're not technologically inclined (i.e., you aren't comfortable ripping and setting up your own emulator) it's a nice alternative.

They also recently rolled out a 'premium' version that includes old N64 games, though the annual membership fee is quite a bit higher ($65 annually, before taxes, I think?)

Just food for thought.

I will also say that for myself - I have owned the following: SNES, gameboy, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, Switch as well as the Gameboy Advance, DS and 3DS. I'm only mentioning this to provide context - and to point out that, quite obviously I'm a bit biased towards Nintendo products. I can't really speak to either Playstation or Xbox, at least the more recent models.

Edited by Eternal optimist

12 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

play some old Tecmo Bowl on the NES, instead of dragging out my old NES and finding the cartridge - you can access it through the Switch membership in minutes.

There is a new game for PC that is very much Tecmo-inspired. Pro Strategy Football 2022 - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1527500/Pro_Strategy_Football_2022/

I haven't played much of it since I don't game very much anymore, but I loved Tecmo back in the day.

In trying to remember the name of that game, I found that they are making updated Tecmo games every year. Looks like it is for emulator only - https://tecmobowl.org/

16 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'm not a gamer at all... I play retro units like Genesis and NES or N64 of I play at all........ But...... I've been kinda thinking about an Xbox or PS5 lately. Just not sure I'd use it enough to justify the price tag... 

U can pickup a series s for 400 all in if u don’t need disc or 4K 

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Ya we'll see.... I find those new fangled controllers far too complicated. There's way too many buttons. But I do like the look of the sports video games. And there's now a B.A.S.S. tour game where you can play as Kenora's Jeff "Gussy" Gustafson that really intrigues me :)

Edited by Noeller