The Winnipeg Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

17 minutes ago, Tracker said:

There is every indication that most of the right-wing adherents have no interest in anything except complete compliance with their agendas. Wooing them is a waste of time, money and energy.

There are moderate PC voters. They swing when they think the NPD are capable of governing from the middle.  But, they jump as soon as the PCs are competitive. 

It's not my wish to split the middle-right, middle and middle-left vote but I think you could build a competitive, middle party alternative. The NDP operated in the middle under Doer. 

Edited by JCon

On 2021-08-31 at 5:09 PM, Goalie said:

Gonna be real with you as Brian is a family acquaintance.  I don't think Coward is the word... I think being forced out because of covid would be more fair. Listen, BP definitely didn't always listen to the doctors advice and wanted to keep things going forward.. he ****** up.. he knows it.. we know it.. his party knows it. 

It's no coincidence that he leaves and 2 women, let's be honest it's gonna be Stefanson winning the PC vote throw their names in. Politics 101... sacrifice the leader and throw him under the bus. 

This is what's happened. Coward? Nah.. he's a down to earth guy really.. pressure? Damn rights. Due to his handling of covid and political. PCs want to win in 2023 or whenever our provincial election is... they wouldn't with pallister.  Likely will with Stefanson

Agreed and I would go even further. I would suggest the powers that be within the inner circle have had a talk with him. If he stays till the end the memory of him will be fresh in the voters mind. If he leaves now the new leader has a chance to put up some new wall paper and splash some paint around to freshen things up and they have a shot at getting elected. If he stays to the end,  that's  not going to happen. It's got nothing to do with cowardice. 

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/new-tenant-found-for-esplanade-riel-bridge-1.5577532

Pending approval from the Standing Policy Committee on Property and Development, Heritage and Downtown Development MTA plans invest $240,000 renovating the building over the first two years of the lease and create the Technology Commercialization Hall of Fame.

Sigh....we will never get that McDonalds at this rate.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

10 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/new-tenant-found-for-esplanade-riel-bridge-1.5577532

Pending approval from the Standing Policy Committee on Property and Development, Heritage and Downtown Development MTA plans invest $240,000 renovating the building over the first two years of the lease and create the Technology Commercialization Hall of Fame.

Sigh....we will never get that McDonalds at this rate.

Oooh,,,a Technology Commercialization Hall of Fame....sounds like a real bodice ripper.

Vivian Santos removed as Winnipeg's acting deputy mayor after refusing to disclose vaccination status.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/vivian-santos-acting-mayor-vaccination-health-disclosure-bowman-1.6169978

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Vivian Santos removed as Winnipeg's acting deputy mayor after refusing to disclose vaccination status.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/vivian-santos-acting-mayor-vaccination-health-disclosure-bowman-1.6169978

Good that she was demoted. The anti-vaxers have enough people supporting them.

4 hours ago, iHeart said:

well let's hope that Pfizer is successful with the kids vaccine so that they can have their events back 

https://www.iheartradio.ca/bounce/winnipeg/2021-winnipeg-santa-claus-parade-cancelled-1.16082225

Pffft...false God. 

Pretty early to cancel it. Just watch Winkler/Morden/Steinbach promote theirs. Probably send all the Winnipeg parade people there.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, JCon said:

Honestly, it's probably for the best. Starlight was sus from the start and kept coming back for more and more. I'm not sure what the answer is but giving away the building is not it. 

Considering they wanted everyone else to finance the purchase... at that point it would of been just the same had the Gov't bought the place out and did it on their own. 

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/nygard-property-fire-notre-dame-winnipeg-1.6216284

A Winnipeg property that once belonged to former fashion mogul Peter Nygard is on fire.

Crews were met by heavy smoke and flames when they arrived at the warehouse at Notre Dame Avenue and Clifton Street around 6 a.m. Tuesday.

Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service platoon chief Don Enns said flames were shooting five to six metres into the air at one point.

Notre Dame, between Weston and Flint streets, is blocked to traffic, causing headaches during the morning rush hour.

"This is expected to be a prolonged event," a WFPS spokesperson said in an email to CBC News.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-rcmp-wanted-man-selkirk-winnipeg-1.6218705

RCMP say a man who was on the run Wednesday night in the Interlake and posed an "immediate threat" to the public has been arrested.

Police reported just after 8 p.m. CT that Wesley Manfred Wadien, 38, had been arrested without injury, after RCMP and other agencies spent more than a day searching for the man, who they said was considered armed and dangerous.

Wadien was wanted for allegedly uttering threats and pointing a gun, RCMP said. He also has several arrest warrants out for other offences and was known to police. 

I assume others got this smartphone alert last night while he was still at large...? It was around 7 pm, IIRC.

Glad to see he was apprehended. This guy's got some serious mental health issues.

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

Not really- in Finland, this has been the case for several years and is well liked.

Are you suggesting that Winnipeg has similar standards of living as Finland?    Finland is the 3rd richest country in the world.    It's also a completely different culture then in Canada.  

Canada already does issue fines based on "probability of paying them".  You'd be floored at finding out how little criminals are "fined" purely because the system knows that they won't repay them back.  

16 hours ago, Brandon said:

Are you suggesting that Winnipeg has similar standards of living as Finland?    Finland is the 3rd richest country in the world.    It's also a completely different culture then in Canada.  

Canada already does issue fines based on "probability of paying them".  You'd be floored at finding out how little criminals are "fined" purely because the system knows that they won't repay them back.  

There are many societal parallels between Canada and Finland. Where did you get the statistic that Finland is the third richest country in the world? I have worked in the justice system and unpaid fines typically result in jailing- the courts do not take the ignoring of court-imposed fines lightly. If the miscreants have to be pursued for repayment of fines, the next time they appear in court, they go directly to jail. 

31 minutes ago, Tracker said:

There are many societal parallels between Canada and Finland. Where did you get the statistic that Finland is the third richest country in the world? I have worked in the justice system and unpaid fines typically result in jailing- the courts do not take the ignoring of court-imposed fines lightly. If the miscreants have to be pursued for repayment of fines, the next time they appear in court, they go directly to jail. 

Finland and Canada have near identical GDP per capita numbers. I like the approach because a $100 fine to someone living in poverty is much different than a $100 fine to someone wealthy. If it's meant to be a deterrent, it should impact both parties equally. 

Anyhow, I would like to read some research on the effectiveness of Finland's approach and how it might (or might not) work in Canada. 

https://www.stat.fi/tup/satavuotias-suomi/suomi-maailman-karjessa_en.html

Finland is completely different from Canada,    To say it's similar is completely insane. 

I could be wrong so please prove me wrong, but does Helsinki have a similar downtown to Winnipeg with homeless camps,  drug problems,  and little to no pulse?

Does Helsinki have an area of town as large as Downtown/North End/Point Douglas with massive crime rates ,  poverty, drug issues,  extremely low property values?   j

Does Finland have areas in the country where people do not have access to fresh water and these areas are riddled with poverty and crime? 

4 hours ago, Tracker said:

I have worked in the justice system and unpaid fines typically result in jailing- the courts do not take the ignoring of court-imposed fines lightly. If the miscreants have to be pursued for repayment of fines, the next time they appear in court, they go directly to jail. 

And this is why they issue fines of $20 dollars - $50 dollars.     Trust me you'd be sickened to see the fines that people get for doing absolutely awful things.   

They impose fines based on how much likely they can get from whoever they ticket.   So someone who is a normal person who gets caught speeding is far more likely to pay a $500 ticket because they want to maintain a normal life,  a career criminal who is in and out of jail has zero intentions of ever paying $500 so to avoid crowding the jails they will give the guy a $25 dollar fine.  Completely un fair in my books.