The Winnipeg Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

On 2021-02-02 at 11:29 AM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

And they were never seen again!

Would love to see the screen cap that said $60,000,000 winner :D

If I won that much, I'd go totally dark on social media everywhere. Move to a new secret address fast. Before the fake friends & leaches come out after me. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

15 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

TSN1290 making special announcement...

Everyone has been laid off? 

EDIT: Sounds like it. Bell took the Covid money, paid it out in dividends and is laying people off across the country. Scum. 

And, to make it worse, staff are finding out via social media. Scum. 

Edited by JCon

absolutely gutted for friends and co-workers at Bell Media over the last couple of weeks. Sickening. There was a time in my life where I wanted nothing more than to work in Winnipeg or Calgary radio. With age and experience I've come to realize that the job security in a smaller market is worth far more than the money or "prestige" (insert eyeroll) from working in a bigger market. The constant turnover....one bad ratings book is all it takes.....is just not worthwhile. Ugh. Brutal day for media, brutal day for sports fans in Wpg. CJOB is great, but having less sports talk overall is a bad thing for the city. 

3 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Ham I can understand with just the Cats and they are basically a suburb of TO but Van?

In VAN/WPG case the hockey radio rights are owned by other stations. Dunno bout other cities.

Surprised no TSN radio in CAL.

Calgary has a Sportsnet Radio "all talk" station......not sure it could handle both a TSN and Sportsnet radio.. I know they like to think they're Toronto-West, but don't think there's really enough ears for both companies...

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, iHeart said:

Looking at the two week forecast, there is not much precipitation from here down south. Given the warm temps, I'm hopeful that there is not any flooding this spring. 

However, our we need rain. Hopefully, we'll have a wet spring after the crops are in the field. 

48 minutes ago, JCon said:

Looking at the two week forecast, there is not much precipitation from here down south. Given the warm temps, I'm hopeful that there is not any flooding this spring. 

However, our we need rain. Hopefully, we'll have a wet spring after the crops are in the field. 

There is every indication that we are likely to have an early, somewhat drier than normal spring. 

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

There is every indication that we are likely to have an early, somewhat drier than normal spring. 

Its super dry right now. It would be nice to get some more snow in March or some early April rain. 

20 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Its super dry right now. It would be nice to get some more snow in March or some early April rain. 

Apparently a half-inch of rain is equivalent to 10 inches of snow, so all we need is one downpour when the ground is thawed and we're good.

I remember speaking with the Deputy Minister of Agriculture in spring 2018. It was the first drought like conditions we had seen in the province in around 15 years. Most of the staff in Agriculture, hadn't ever experienced one. 

Now, we're headed into our 3rd year of drought like conditions. Let's hope we get some good rainfall. 

Canadians Can Expect A Mild Spring Across The Country: Weather Network

Canadians across the country can look forward to a mild spring peppered with the odd winter flashback throughout the first part of the season, according to predictions from one prominent national forecaster.

Chris Scott, chief meteorologist with The Weather Network, said Canadians can count on some sunny days to put a bounce in their step after a long winter.

“There’s going to be some challenges. We’re not out of the woods for winter, but we’ve certainly put the worst behind us and there’s some really nice days ahead,” said Scott, adding that people should get out and enjoy the sunshine when the daily forecast calls for it.

The Weather Network predicts that March will bring extended tastes of early spring to Ontario and Quebec after a particularly wintry February. But Scott said the two provinces should brace for a period of colder weather in mid-spring before more consistent warmth sets in.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4693371/mysterious-big-box-store-being-built-outside-winnipeg-perimeter-highway-near-assiniboia-downs/

It's from a few years ago but I don't believe the design/permits changed much since then.  

I spoke to the Costco manager at the St. James Street store a couple of years ago. He told me that the plan was to build a new Costco somewhere on Portage Avenue west in "a few years". That would mean the closure of the St. James store.