Bombers recruiting Derel Walker

Mike

• 1 month later...

According to 'third down' today, Walker is in Houston working out with James Wilder...still dreamin' of a big payday.....Does this guy read or listen to the news?? There's nobody going to give him 250 grand, considering the state of the football world....Wilder seems to be pitching for him to come to Mont....If it means signing for the kind of dough he wants there.....dream on ....Kavis ain't working there no more....

7 hours ago, Stickem said:

According to 'third down' today, Walker is in Houston working out with James Wilder...still dreamin' of a big payday.....Does this guy read or listen to the news?? There's nobody going to give him 250 grand, considering the state of the football world....Wilder seems to be pitching for him to come to Mont....If it means signing for the kind of dough he wants there.....dream on ....Kavis ain't working there no more....

Yeah but since they dont fine teams for going over the cap they can give him whatever he wants. And since its Montreal the other 8 teams will end up floating the bill anyways. 

Apparently, Walker made $250,000 with the Argos last year & expects even more this season. BC Lions paid Lamar Durant $200,000 last season. No wonder these teams lose multi millions of dollars. These GMs are so financially irresponsible. Mike Reilly still hasn't volunteered to take a paycut like Mitchell did in Calgary.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2020-06-21 at 10:27 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Apparently, Walker made $250,000 with the Argos last year & expects even more this season. BC Lions paid Lamar Durant $200,000 last season. No wonder these teams lose multi millions of dollars. These GMs are so financially irresponsible. Mike Reilly still hasn't volunteered to take a paycut like Mitchell did in Calgary.

every one shouldve been paid 250k to be associated with the argos last year. 

Make a stupid pay day on a dog of a team or make a reasonable one on a contender. If he chooses the henoc muamba route hes better off not being on a contender. 

44 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Make a stupid pay day on a dog of a team or make a reasonable one on a contender. If he chooses the henoc muamba route hes better off not being on a contender. 

pretty sure the Lions are or were working on restructuring Chungh's and Reilly's deals earlier into the new year,,not sure if it was finalized and/or formally announced but from what I understand both will be taking less of the pie this year with the Lions..well that is if we play any games...I guess last year they learned a nice big fat lesson that when you dump a third of your sms into 4 guys...well you suck

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Muamba would have been on a Grey Cup winner if he wasn't so greedy. I'm glad we have Bighill instead anyway. he's embraced the city. Got a job as a financial advisor & is building a new home. Good for home & thanks BC... 

6 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Well umm... he wouldn't have signed here if we wanted to play on a contender... so maybe that's why he didn't - not greed.

5 hours ago, Floyd said:

Well umm... he wouldn't have signed here if we wanted to play on a contender... so maybe that's why he didn't - not greed.

I don't begrudge a player the chance to make as much as he can because all it takes to end a career is one injury. But when a player plays all 9 teams at the same time well screw him. 

19 hours ago, Booch said:

pretty sure the Lions are or were working on restructuring Chungh's and Reilly's deals earlier into the new year,,not sure if it was finalized and/or formally announced but from what I understand both will be taking less of the pie this year with the Lions..well that is if we play any games...I guess last year they learned a nice big fat lesson that when you dump a third of your sms into 4 guys...well you suck

Definitely. And cap management is going to be even more important in the post COVID CFL. I think the days of signing almost million dollar QB's are over. As are the days of signing close to $300K receivers. Say hello to developmental low priced QB's, and bringing in lots of US receivers to compete with higher priced veterans. 

2 hours ago, M.Silverback said:

Definitely. And cap management is going to be even more important in the post COVID CFL. I think the days of signing almost million dollar QB's are over. As are the days of signing close to $300K receivers. Say hello to developmental low priced QB's, and bringing in lots of US receivers to compete with higher priced veterans. 

yEAH....I think mentality and reality set in and it's become apparent in the sports world now that excessive spending doesn't work now...Many leagues are realizing this...The positive post Covid world tho for the CFL is going to be the reality that it's NFL...or CFL and that will be it..highly doubt any upstart league will come around for a while now..id ever and even so...won't be able to out price established vets, and young up and comers in the CFL

The top end guys will still get the nice deals, (not crazy money like the last QB free agent frenzy) but established guys will be in the 400 to 600k range and thats sustainbable, and top tier defensive guys and offensive stars are going to all be sandwiched in the 150 to 250k range and thats also very manageable for teams to have some guys in that salary range (albeit not pulling a BC and hamstringing yourself)

Once all the dust has settled I think this will have been a good thing for the league..an eye opener for teams...and players...and a better sustainable business model will be in place. The league average As well as minimum wage will be higher, making it more attractive to new players to come up...allowing for league to discover/develop new stars, and you will have a lot of hungry player putting in the work with the knowledge that if they show they belong they could supplant higher priced aging players...which in the end is good for the league...the teams..and recruitment

BC's problems went far beyond paying too much for their QB.

Too much change. First year of a major rebuild without Wally for the first time since 2003.

Rookie coaches including the HC that couldn't figure out how to turn things around when they started going badly. Think back to MOS' first year for comparison.

Horrible OL that suddenly got better when Kelly Bates finally replaced Bryan Chiu mid season.

JJ as the OC who couldn't or wouldn't change the offence so their expensive QB didn't get killed game in and game out. Even fans know you have to have a running game and you can't throw bombs all day especially when your OL is truly horrible. A change to quick passes, adding screens and draws would have saved Reilly from getting killed, which in turn coulda changed the outcomes of some of their games, especially in the first half of the season.

A defence that consistently gave up 30+ points till game 10 by which time their season was pretty much over at 1-9. 

Tons of injuries on a team that didn't have quality backups (This one is partly due to over paying Reilly and partly due to being the first year of a rebuild).

8 hours ago, M.Silverback said:

Just a hunch but don't be surprised if the cap is shrunken to at least $4 million maybe less. Every player will have to take huge pay cuts. This was done in the early 90's when the SMS came into being. Players had to suck it up. 

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

I would bet that every CFL quarterback or superstar would play for $250,000 plus playoff bonuses. Time for financial sanity in the league. 

That would mean that other players would have to play for $35,000. That is the problem. It really hurts the guys not making any real money. 

12 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That would mean that other players would have to play for $35,000. That is the problem. It really hurts the guys not making any real money. 

Good point. Pains me to say but I think the CFL will eventually have to move towards a salary management system like the XFL or AAF. More of a “guaranteed” amount, with less variations. Pay newer players more, but stars less. Less variation between high and low. Like $100K minimum to $300K max for everyone. We’d attract more practice roster type NFL players with a higher minimum, but not handcuff teams when they have a star QB. And, if a CFL player is truly exceptional, they will still go to the NFL and earn big $. Thoughts? 

Edited by M.Silverback

50 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Good point. Pains me to say but I think the CFL will eventually have to move towards a salary management system like the XFL or AAF. More of a “guaranteed” amount, with less variations. Pay newer players more, but stars less. Less variation between high and low. Like $100K minimum to $300K max for everyone. We’d attract more practice roster type NFL players with a higher minimum, but not handcuff teams when they have a star QB. And, if a CFL player is truly exceptional, they will still go to the NFL and earn big $. Thoughts? 

We have to find ways to increase re venues in this country first. Grow the game here & not in another country. One may be taking some games off TSN & letting other networks bid for the contract. Get the Grey Cup on network tv like CBC, CTV & not just cable. That would be a start. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27