Bombers recruiting Derel Walker

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
On 2020-05-08 at 3:54 PM, JCon said:

No one is putting cash on the table right now. That ship sailed a month ago. At least not meaningful cash. 

Low base decent bonus to lock in his rights if you end up with a season this year. Chances are solid of a late partial season Imo. Offer him base vet salary and 40k bonus not a bad gamble at all 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Low base decent bonus to lock in his rights if you end up with a season this year. Chances are solid of a late partial season Imo. Offer him base vet salary and 40k bonus not a bad gamble at all 

Could be a good idea. But also I'm uncertain how putting bonus money on the table is going to look at this point when the CFL is pleading for a bailout. I wonder if the teams have been told to lay off that for now.

51 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Could be a good idea. But also I'm uncertain how putting bonus money on the table is going to look at this point when the CFL is pleading for a bailout. I wonder if the teams have been told to lay off that for now.

Lots of places are still paying bonuses adding incentives and hiring new people that are looking for bailouts and or support. The fact the gov't is being Soo stingy and resistant to helping a cultural institution and one of the oldest championships in history is sickening.  That's a good point. Has any one signed a draft pick yet? Maybe the teams have agreed to a movement freeze while this is sorted out. 

23 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Lots of places are still paying bonuses adding incentives and hiring new people that are looking for bailouts and or support. The fact the gov't is being Soo stingy and resistant to helping a cultural institution and one of the oldest championships in history is sickening.  That's a good point. Has any one signed a draft pick yet? Maybe the teams have agreed to a movement freeze while this is sorted out. 

I don't believe the gov't is being stingy. I expect them to find a way to support the CFL. However, the CFL having no plan and having not even consulted with the union is terribly concerning. Gov't is right to holdout until they have a firm plan, with measurables, that has CFLPA support. 

I'm not as concerned about the CFL not having a firm business plan for their initial meeting. Ambrosie explained prior to that meeting that they were just going there to say "Listen, we are totally and completely f***ed if you don't help us..." and that was about it. He just wanted to make sure they knew that. After that, then they'd go into the nuts and bolts and come back with something more official. 

I'm 75% confident this is all going to work out and the feds will find a way to keep the CFL going until there's a vaccine and fans can come back. 

I have to agree with this ^^.

Present the problem, see how you have to work it out, then do it.

He had to get some sort of message out there, with or without the CFLPA. 

It’s interesting to note that MLB is only now negotiating pay structure after setting the parameters around which a season could be played. Both sides are dickering as to how much pay the players receive before whatever fans that are allowed to attend. They don’t have a plan how to do this as yet.

CFL will never go under...too much involved in the totality of the CFL across the whole country, not just in each city with a team...it is more far reaching economically and socially than just a slate of games each year for the football fan..the ripple effect all the way down from each city to the lowliest of peanut vendor and most casual of casual fan is very far reaching...the potential loss of jobs, economic losses, infrastructure abandonment..and everything else involved with the CFL cuts a major swath and would be a huge loss in money..livelyhood's..among other things....ain't happening and something will be worked out.

I laugh at the fact that many people claim that these teams..players..owners/community ownership groups shouldn't feel entitled to help, or are exempt from it because they are a pro league...whats that got to do with anything when the Government props up other businesses in Canada with bailouts and loans save their industry's and jobs and companies worth 10 times more than the CFL brings in and ownership groups worth 100's of millions, if not billions, not to mention the money funneled out of Canada to support things with no real tie or benefit to Canada other than to make the Gov look good and could be better used within it's own borders....a 150 million loan..hand-out..gift is a pretty small piece of scratch to help out an over 100 year Canadian Institution which not only is a Sports League that offers entertainment, but also an employer of people...both Canadian and American and now Globally...not unlike many other companies who have been bailed out in financial stress,