Bombers recruiting Derel Walker

Mike

25 minutes ago, Firekid said:

I got a call from the Bombers couple days ago and the lady told me they are planning on starting the season on July 1st as of right now. She did also indicate that anything could happen before that lol! I guess they know as much as anyone else. 

there is absolutely less than 0 chance of them starting a season on July 1......Cripes. 

10 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

That's just dumb.  Play for the Grey Cup in the US?   No thanks.  And even if this was a good idea (which it isn't), how many US stadium fields can be adapted to allow for Canadian demensions?  I'm thinking that there cant be that many.

Just an idea whether it's dumb or not. Gotta consider everything. I guess my comeback would be where are we going to play in December other than Montreal, Toronto & Vancouver indoors. The Rogers Centre probably wouldn't allow it on their precious field. Is the Big O able to hold games with the roof the state it's in? All games at BC Place in December? If fans won't be there then who cares where they play? The warmer weather would allow for a longer season. Do I think it'll happen? Probably not & also we don't know when the border reopens but it's just an idea. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2020-04-14 at 11:27 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Regular season starts Labour Day. Play a 12 week schedule.  All regular season games played in Canada. Then switch the playoff games to Arizona & California with the Grey Cup played in the SW or California before Christmas Day. If empty stadiums are to be used, this makes perfect sense as college stadiums will be empty except for the Bowl games.  That would allow us to extend the season so late. Just a thought. 

sure... but who's paying for all this?

On ‎2020‎-‎04‎-‎15 at 4:29 PM, Noeller said:

there is absolutely less than 0 chance of them starting a season on July 1......Cripes. 

They MIGHT start preseason or something at that time, if a decision is made to proceed temporarily without fans.

12 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

They MIGHT start preseason or something at that time, if a decision is made to proceed temporarily without fans.

they can't afford to do that. It's either fully as normal, with fans, or cancel the season. There's no other way. And since US players won't be allowed across the border yet and fans won't be allowed to gather until sometime in late 2021..............

39 minutes ago, Noeller said:

they can't afford to do that. It's either fully as normal, with fans, or cancel the season. There's no other way. And since US players won't be allowed across the border yet and fans won't be allowed to gather until sometime in late 2021..............

You're probably right, but never say never. There is always a chance of government or sponsor bailout and cooperation. We'll have to wait and see. It's a longshot but until someone says the season is cancelled it's not cancelled. As for American travellers, there may be exceptions made for sports. It's been known to happen many, many times in the past. Also, Trudeau has already stated there will be exceptions made for seasonal farm workers etc, he may extend that to professional sports. I wouldn't rule out a late starting season with no fans in the stands. A team with no profitability was able to get a 200m stadium built with zero chance they could ever repay it. Would it shock you if the government "loaned" the CFL money to operate this season?

Who knows...maybe the CFL is allowed to qualify for the 75% wage subsidy by the feds.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

As for American travellers, there may be exceptions made for sports. It's been known to happen many, many times in the past. Also, Trudeau has already stated there will be exceptions made for seasonal farm workers etc, he may extend that to professional sports.

All non-essential travel has been effectively halted at the Canada-US border until further. What sort of exception could be made for athletes, especially in light of the situation in the US right now? And from an optics standpoint, I doubt such an act would reflect well as Canadians continue to lose their jobs.

And that's somewhat of a false equivalency. Seasonal farm workers' provide an essential service by way of providing commodities for the food supply chain. Athletes provide no such essential good or service.

3 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

All non-essential travel has been effectively halted at the Canada-US border until further. What sort of exception could be made for athletes, especially in light of the situation in the US right now? And from an optics standpoint, I doubt such an act would reflect well as Canadians continue to lose their jobs.

And that's somewhat of a false equivalency. Seasonal farm workers' provide an essential service by way of providing commodities for the food supply chain. Athletes provide no such essential good or service.

Well it could be argued that entertainment is essential. And that watching a live event unfold could bring at least a sense of normalcy. But all the factors that need to come together for a gate driven league seems to be almost insurmountable right now..maybe late summer?

15 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Well it could be argued that entertainment is essential. And that watching a live event unfold could bring at least a sense of normalcy. But all the factors that need to come together for a gate driven league seems to be almost insurmountable right now..maybe late summer?

Can't say I understand the logic there. How is entertainment such as live sport essential? And how would watching such an event on a TV screen in one's home bring a sense of normalcy?

I'd be hard-pressed to see a gov't at any level try and rationalize such a decision.

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

there won't ever be CFL football with no fans. It's not financially possible for any CFL team. The CFL is a ticket driven league. Also no open borders. No american players. No CFL ball.

The CFL is talking the good talk right now. As they should be, because anything is possible. Don't cancel until there is absolutely no other choice/time left. But unless some kind of miracle occurs, I just don't see how any sport is played this year, outside of the NFL which doesn't need fans in the stands.

20 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Can't say I understand the logic there. How is entertainment such as live sport essential? And how would watching such an event on a TV screen in one's home bring a sense of normalcy?

I'd be hard-pressed to see a gov't at any level try and rationalize such a decision.

It's not. I've said it mutiple times. In times of desperation (war, famine, illness etc.) Sports is always...ALWAYS. The first to go. As seen by the NBA/NHL etc. Making it essential would be a very bad mistake by any political party.

I read a great quote awhile back about why sports is going to be the very last thing to come back. I'm paraphrasing, but it said, basically: "Sports is the byproduct of a healthy society. When everyone is healthy and everything is back to normal, and there are zero other worries, THEN we can talk about having sports and entertainment in our lives". 

I've seen some make the case that sports is an economic driver, so it should come back early for that reason, but I don't necessarily buy it. I'm more inclined to believe that we don't NEED sports that badly. It's far more important to make sure that everyone is safe and will remain so. 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I read a great quote awhile back about why sports is going to be the very last thing to come back. I'm paraphrasing, but it said, basically: "Sports is the byproduct of a healthy society. When everyone is healthy and everything is back to normal, and there are zero other worries, THEN we can talk about having sports and entertainment in our lives". 

I've seen some make the case that sports is an economic driver, so it should come back early for that reason, but I don't necessarily buy it. I'm more inclined to believe that we don't NEED sports that badly. It's far more important to make sure that everyone is safe and will remain so. 

Need is a key word. I've had to explain wants and needs (not to anyone on this board) FAR too many times to grown adults during this pandemic. No, you're yoga class is not something you NEED to attend, No you don't NEED to have a band practice. No you don't NEED a board game night. 

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Need is a key word. I've had to explain wants and needs (not to anyone on this board) FAR too many times to grown adults during this pandemic. No, you're yoga class is not something you NEED to attend, No you don't NEED to have a band practice. No you don't NEED a board game night. 

I think I can understand the mental health benefits of all these things, so there's a case to be made there......but I also 100% agree with what you're saying. I'm fully on board with mass lockdowns to end this thing as quickly as possible. The economy will recover.... dead people won't.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I said entertainment,not just sports and i stand by it, and a live event can add hope of a return to some state of normalcy whether its on tv or not. It would show we are moving in the right direction,we all need something to take our minds off the doom.

26 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

No large gatherings in Calgary until at least  June 30th. I'd think a training camp with 60 players is a large gathering.  There'll be no TC on July 1st. 

Quebec has banned all sporting events until Aug 31st. I can't see the regular season starting before Labour Day.

4 hours ago, bb1 said:

I said entertainment,not just sports and i stand by it, and a live event can add hope of a return to some state of normalcy whether its on tv or not. It would show we are moving in the right direction,we all need something to take our minds off the doom.

I know what you said. I replied with "entertainment such as sports," meaning not just sports. I still fail to see how a live event of any kind with no people in attendance would instill hope to an audience watching said event from their homes.

Your anecdote is appreciated but I still don't see the logic behind what you've stated. A lot of other things have to happen before live entertainment, be it sports, concerts, or otherwise, will return.

19 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I know what you said. I replied with "entertainment such as sports," meaning not just sports. I still fail to see how a live event of any kind with no people in attendance would instill hope to an audience watching said event from their homes.

Your anecdote is appreciated but I still don't see the logic behind what you've stated. A lot of other things have to happen before live entertainment, be it sports, concerts, or otherwise, will return.

You can lead a horse to water..no just kidding we are just going to have to agree to disagree.😊

6 hours ago, bb1 said:

One could argue that the earth is flat.  One can argue all sorts of nonsence.

Edited by WBBFanWest