2020 Free Agent Tracker

Rich

12 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Agreed. I know the Bombers are high on McGuire but man, with Collaros's injury history I wouldn't be comfortable with a QB2 that has thrown 3 passes in his career. Im not a Jennings fan but at the right price I wouldn't hate him here. 

Bubba, have you seen any highlight packages of McGuire? They talk about him throwing dimes and how it's unfair to the DBs. He sure looks like he has field general qualities and knows how and when to hit a receiver. He's here because he has something special much like Streveler did except I think McGuire is more of a pure passer than Strevs was. He moves the pocket and sets himself up well. He throws his receivers open. His field vision appears to be outstanding and he hits his receivers at top speed and in stride. 

With Harris in the backfield and an OL like ours I think he can excel at the CFL game. That's why I am so pumped about this season. I don't think we have anything to worry about at QB. I see McGuire being a future superstar with this team.

He has really good accuracy, a decent arm and what I like that even when he’s moving around in the pocket he’s keeping his eyes down the field looking for a play, it’s a quality a lot of the great quarterbacks have. I think he does need to work on his release a little bit. It’s a little on the slow side, especially for the pro game but that’s something that mechanically he can work on. I think the future is bright for this kid. 

11 minutes ago, Stickem said:

McGuire looks solid...nice size and certainly can throw the rock....Seasoning behind our O Line is going to put this guy over the top....No worries on him coming in to run the offence...going to surprise a lot of people

To me McGuire has a similar skillset to Colloras and Im glad that he's going to be learning under him this year rather than Matt Nichols. We want our QB's to aspire to be more than a game manager.

All we really know is that McGuire has completed 2 of his 3 CFL passes for 17 yards and run 3 times for 9 yards. The rest is just folks hoping he can do in the CFL what he did in college and the CFL is filled with QB's who couldn't make the jump.

Now some folks want Bennett? Really? Why? Because we know his name? Because he can play special teams? Because he was once a Bomber. It's certainly not his 4 completions in 8 passes for 72 yards or his freezing in the playoffs for the Riders.

22 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

All we really know is that McGuire has completed 2 of his 3 CFL passes for 17 yards and run 3 times for 9 yards. The rest is just folks hoping he can do in the CFL what he did in college and the CFL is filled with QB's who couldn't make the jump.

Now some folks want Bennett? Really? Why? Because we know his name? Because he can play special teams? Because he was once a Bomber. It's certainly not his 4 completions in 8 passes for 72 yards or his freezing in the playoffs for the Riders.

It's more than that.  There is what he did in pre-season and in practice that led the coaching staff to keep him over Bennett even when Bennett seemed to have a great training camp.  The last young QB this coaching staff believed in is now in the NFL on a 100k signing bonus. Winnipeg are the Grey Cup champs and I'm at the point where I'm willing to trust the GM and the coaching staff to make these evaluations.   Calgary is an organization that I trust even more at this point in terms of evaluating young QB's who would be able to handle the opportunities to start in the future. They were able to evaluate starting material in a backup role with Arbuckle and Bo Levi Mitchell before him.  In order to have long term viability our organization can't rely solely on picking up loose change at the quarterback position from other teams. 

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

It's more than that.  There is what he did in pre-season and in practice that led the coaching staff to keep him over Bennett even when Bennett seemed to have a great training camp.  The last young QB this coaching staff believed in is now in the NFL on a 100k signing bonus. Winnipeg are the Grey Cup champs and I'm at the point where I'm willing to trust the GM and the coaching staff to make these evaluations.   Calgary is an organization that I trust even more at this point in terms of evaluating young QB's who would be able to handle the opportunities to start in the future. They were able to evaluate starting material in a backup role with Arbuckle and Bo Levi Mitchell before him.  In order to have long term viability our organization can't rely solely on picking up loose change at the quarterback position from other teams. 

Preseason? You're talking about preseason like it means something? Keeping McGuire over Bennett doesn't really mean anything unless you're talking about Bennett's preseason work and then I go back to.... preseason? The only thing Bennett's done well so far is play special teams.

The coaching staff choosing Streveler doesn't make them infallible. Quite the contrary. Look at all the young QB's this coaching staff has believed in and you'll find that Streveler is the only one to have done much of anything and he wasn't quite ready yet to be a starter last year because of his passing. The ratio of good to bad young QB's this coaching staff believed in doesn't work in their favour.

Were not Calgary. We trade for or pick our QB's up in Free Agency. The Bombers brought Danny McManus (1990) and Dieter Brock (1974) into the league over the last 45 or so years. Even then, we didn't get the benefit of having Danny Mac as our starter. I'd say the Bombers track record of bringing young QB's into the league is abysmal.

Yes, we're Grey Cup champs, but we were also 3rd in the west. We made a huge trade that worked out perfectly for a vet QB in the last hours before trades closed last year. If the coaches thought McGuire was ready to play then, we wouldn't have needed to make that trade and we wouldn't have likely been GC champs.

10 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

If the coaches thought McGuire was ready to play then, we wouldn't have needed to make that trade and we wouldn't have likely been GC champs.

Really?

If you have options...you look at them. The option they tried, Collaros, is a veteran. It only made sense. That doesn’t preclude McGuire not playing well if he had to go in. It was a bold move that worked out well for us at a time we needed it.

Nobody knows how McGuire would have done, or will do now, but there is a belief in him. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

Coaches usually want a vet QB playing, especially for playoffs. It would be quite the leap of faith to use a QB that has limited pro reps taking over the offense. McGuire will likely get much more playing time this coming year in less critical situations and we'll see where it goes from there.

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Yes, this is indeed all we really know.  But that is not at all true for the Bombers coaching staff who work with him  day in, day out.  They know a great deal more, and what they know tells them that it appears that he's ready for the step up to #2.

14 minutes ago, Mike said:

Rider fans already whining because teams are signing players that they shouldn’t be able to afford or guys like Larry Dean are taking less money than “they should be”

"Well if it's true that Larry Dean got paid 210 last year and 110 this year, then I'd suggest they are doing it by cheating"

😅

I mentioned before..even though it was just pre season but the poise he showed in the pocket.. moving around in it to stand in there and make his reads and deliver the ball where it needed to be was very noticeable..and impressively rare for a raw rookie..I see why team is high on him..and he has a friggin gun

9 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Watching them engage in math is my favourite.

Yeah the poor me shtick in full force..its hard on them when players dont see Sask as the creme de la creme like they see it...and really.. who would wanna spend 6 months in Regina if u didnt have to

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Rider fans already whining because teams are signing players that they shouldn’t be able to afford or guys like Larry Dean are taking less money than “they should be”

Signing Sol, who'll play maybe 10 games, at 155 is a point of honour for these people.

Love how they brag about sober, sensible spending and condemn other teams for shopping sprees. 

But when they do it as we all remember, it's " future is now,  we're serious about building a winner"

Edited by Zontar