2020 Free Agent Tracker

Rich

5 hours ago, Booch said:

you can stretch a field vertically with any receiver tho...and we didn't do a lot of it. If a guy is continually going deep...posts..cornered..flies and you show that you will throw to him...teams need to respect that and keep a guy on him, and if a guy is a real burner, 9 times outta 10 your gonna cheat your safety over that way, at mid level to be there for over top help.

With a guy like Whitehead, why we were not using him...or Grant like that is baffling and don't wanna hear an excuse like "yeah but they aren't good route runners" or something along those lines...you don't have to be, and with speed like Lucky and ability to make moves in and out of routes, and stop and go and get to top speed in a stride or two, he'd be a real pain in a teams arse..and frankly, he runs routes just fine and you have to give him a cushion anyway, or else you will be toast more often than not

Lapo used Whitehead to “take the top off the D” (Lapo speak) repeatedly.  That was most of his role in the offense.  The problem with that being more than a decoy or clearing route to open space up underneath is that a guy with a relatively small catch radius needs to be pretty open to be a legitimate target deep.  And they were able to get him loose a few times, obviously he had a couple big games in the summer with those routes.  Once the D pays him attention and sits a DB at the top of his routes he’s not much of an actual threat deep.  The real benefit is that space opened up for digs, posts/flags away from his routes and space for YAC type stuff.  There’s double moves but it seemed like the timing for those with Whitehead was never in sync when they did go to it. 

That’s why the guys in this era of match coverages who are “deep threats” are mostly 6’2-6’4 freaks strong with long arms and big hops who can win 50-50 balls quite often.  That catch radius is more important than a .2 speed difference in the 40.

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

No interest in Jennings. Beyond obvious that he cannot read defences. When you make him do that, it is a disaster.

Not even sure that’s what it is.  He’s one of those guys who has been bad for long enough that he doesn’t remember what it’s like to be good, zero confidence.

2 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

I think that this pre-free agency week of "legal tampering" + the increase in entry level money (without a corresponding increase in the overall cap) has changed the landscape somewhat and Walker seems to be the odd man out.  I'm thinking that unless you're so dominant in your position, like Willy, you might need to use that week to solidify an offer because holding out for top dollars doesn't work if there are no top dollars to be had. 

Walker is one of the best receivers in CFL history.  His per game averages are up there with anybody and he’s done it pretty consistently aside from a blip the past summer with the Argos and the not having a QB that could pass problem.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s taking one last lap around the NFL while trying to command top non-QB money.

4 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Walker is one of the best receivers in CFL history.  His per game averages are up there with anybody and he’s done it pretty consistently aside from a blip the past summer with the Argos and the not having a QB that could pass problem.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s taking one last lap around the NFL while trying to command top non-QB money.

Can't blame it on MBT, he was right up there with the league leaders slinging the ball.

12 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

He’s one of those guys who has been bad for long enough that he doesn’t remember what it’s like to be good, zero confidence.

Now this I feel like I can agree with but...I believe it's not impossible to get that back. Especially behind arguably the best OL in the league which should be even better this season. 

19 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

CFL history? That's a bit of a stretch isn't it? 1100 yards, Great year, half a season, injured for 7 games, 1000 yards. Lets not put this guy with the Milt Stegall's, Allen Pitts's, and Geroy Simons' just yet.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

17 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Not even sure that’s what it is.  He’s one of those guys who has been bad for long enough that he doesn’t remember what it’s like to be good, zero confidence.

You talking about Jonathon Jennings... or 2018 Vernon Adams.... or 2018 Zack Collaros?

19 minutes ago, Firekid said:

Now this I feel like I can agree with but...I believe it's not impossible to get that back. Especially behind arguably the best OL in the league which should be even better this season. 

I never watched him play and felt he was a smart QB.

Seemed like broken plays and athleticism. That can have  shelf life. BC was getting him out of the pocket and moving him around, he was still making mistakes.

Edited by Geebrr

10 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

CFL history? That's a bit of a stretch isn't it? 1100 yards, Great year, half a season, injured for 7 games, 1000 yards. Lets not put this guy with the Milt Stegall's, Allen Pitts's, and Geroy Simons' just yet.

He played 12 games as a rookie and caught 89 passes for 1100 yards and 6 TDs

He has produced every year.

I doubt you find many WRs who have put up better numbers in their first 5 years.

4 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

He played 12 games as a rookie and caught 89 passes for 1100 yards and 6 TDs

He has produced every year.

I doubt you find many WRs who have put up better numbers in their first 5 years.

Like ive said, he's one of the best in the league currently. Its the "best receivers in CFL history" comment I had a problem with.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

2 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Read what I said.  Per game averages over his career he's way up there among receivers.  He doesn't have the longevity of guys who played 15 years, no ****.

8 hours ago, Firekid said:

Collaros also sucked in Hamilton in the end and in Sackstenchewan too the season before last. Just saying....a solid OL can fix a lot of perceived QB deficiencies. 

Come to think of it, Mike Reilly didn't have such a great year last year. You could almost say he sucked. Or was his OL that sucked?

Your logic would apply except for the fact that Jennings has one year (2016) that might be considered good.  It's been all down hill from there, including a change of scenery.  Sure there might be other things at play.  There usually are.  Having said that, Jennings has shown zero reasons to believe that he's not going to continue to suck.  Hard pass.

8 hours ago, Firekid said:

That is why some players are coach killers. They tantalize, draw them in & then drop these coaches like they're on the edge of a thousand foot cliff when it doesn't work out.

13 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Agreed. I truly believe Adams is a top 10-15 receiver in the CFL. He's just been held back by the combo of Nichols(risk averse) and Lapo(ultra conservative play caller). Open up the passing game and he would excel. Im excited to see what he can do with Collaros/Buck.  

This. I'm hoping to see a break-out season from this offence that'll remind us of the Khari Jones era. To me the biggest deals we've made were saying goodbye to Lapo and Nichols. That may sound harsh, and I don't mean any disrespect, they both have their value and I thank them for their contributions, but I'm looking forward to watching Buck show us what he can do with a true gunslinger and multiple boxes of ammo.

8 minutes ago, J5V said:

This. I'm hoping to see a break-out season from this offence that'll remind us of the Khari Jones era. To me the biggest deals we've made were saying goodbye to Lapo and Nichols. That may sound harsh, and I don't mean any disrespect, they both have their value and I thank them for their contributions, but I'm looking forward to watching Buck show us what he can do with a true gunslinger and multiple boxes of ammo.

I'm comfortable with saying that a lot of the reason for our successful run heavy attack was because of the quality of our o-line also with Harris just getting those big yards with his sheer will and abilities.    I don't think the great success from our run was purely because LaPo was calling special plays that almost anyone could succeed in.