2020 Free Agent Tracker

Rich

5 minutes ago, Mark F said:

The disdain here for Adams is silly. Look at some of the catches he made in the last few games. stretched out tip toe sideline endzone touchdown for one. Same for the other guys they have.

Grass is greener I guess, but the Bombers don't need a new receiver. The ones they have are more than good enough.

Agreed. I truly believe Adams is a top 10-15 receiver in the CFL. He's just been held back by the combo of Nichols(risk averse) and Lapo(ultra conservative play caller). Open up the passing game and he would excel. Im excited to see what he can do with Collaros/Buck.  

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

3 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Agreed. I truly believe Adams is a top 10-15 receiver in the CFL. He's just been held back by the combo of Nichols(risk averse) and Lapo(ultra conservative play caller). Open up the passing game and he would excel. Im excited to see what he can do with Collaros/Buck.

What do you think he will do with McGuire/Buck? Every team had their QB1 go down at some point in the season. Im not comfortable with the QB2 situation. I was more comfortable with Streveler but even he struggled last season in the starters role. Does anyone feel that Jennings would be able to have some more success behind the Bombers OL vs what he was dealing with in BC and OTT last couple seasons? I feel like he would be able to handle the load and I feel like he was the next best backup to bring in next to Franklin. That is the only spot that makes me uneasy on the current roster. 

7 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Much will be revealed this year. 

17 minutes ago, Firekid said:

What do you think he will do with McGuire/Buck? Every team had their QB1 go down at some point in the season. Im not comfortable with the QB2 situation. I was more comfortable with Streveler but even he struggled last season in the starters role. Does anyone feel that Jennings would be able to have some more success behind the Bombers OL vs what he was dealing with in BC and OTT last couple seasons? I feel like he would be able to handle the load and I feel like he was the next best backup to bring in next to Franklin. That is the only spot that makes me uneasy on the current roster. 

Agreed. I know the Bombers are high on McGuire but man, with Collaros's injury history I wouldn't be comfortable with a QB2 that has thrown 3 passes in his career. Im not a Jennings fan but at the right price I wouldn't hate him here. 

2 hours ago, Booch said:

you can stretch a field vertically with any receiver tho...and we didn't do a lot of it. If a guy is continually going deep...posts..cornered..flies and you show that you will throw to him...teams need to respect that and keep a guy on him, and if a guy is a real burner, 9 times outta 10 your gonna cheat your safety over that way, at mid level to be there for over top help.

With a guy like Whitehead, why we were not using him...or Grant like that is baffling and don't wanna hear an excuse like "yeah but they aren't good route runners" or something along those lines...you don't have to be, and with speed like Lucky and ability to make moves in and out of routes, and stop and go and get to top speed in a stride or two, he'd be a real pain in a teams arse..and frankly, he runs routes just fine and you have to give him a cushion anyway, or else you will be toast more often than not

I don't have football credibiity. (offensive lineman in high school football in a small town does not impress anyone.) but I always wondered why you wouldn't use the small quick guys to stretch the field  when you have such a good line and one of if not the best blocking running back in CFL. Watching those little guys fight in 1 yard passes was frustrating. 

Less frustrating when you can wear grey cup gear at the end of the year.

2 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

I don't have football credibiity. (offensive lineman in high school football in a small town does not impress anyone.) but I always wondered why you wouldn't use the small quick guys to stretch the field  when you have such a good line and one of if not the best blocking running back in CFL. Watching those little guys fight in 1 yard passes was frustrating. 

Less frustrating when you can wear grey cup gear at the end of the year.

yEAH it worked at first, but Lapo never deviated away from it and every time a set with Woli sliding to the inside and one of Adams and Lawler went into bunch formation it was always the dump..screen...never expanded that play or used it to set up anything....could see it a mile away pre-snap and teams just consumed him and after about the 4th game he got so beat up and pounded you could see he was not playing at 100% anymore...poor guy got pummeled

The bizzare thing is that everytime they went to him deep he had his guy beat and if the QB could have hit him...he was gone...and wasn't for his lack of effort or trying..several times he laid it all out extending himself trying make the catch, but was always just outta reach

10 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Agreed. I know the Bombers are high on McGuire but man, with Collaros's injury history I wouldn't be comfortable with a QB2 that has thrown 3 passes in his career. Im not a Jennings fan but at the right price I wouldn't hate him here. 

So, you're saying that you'd be more comfortable going with someone who does suck, rather than going with someone who might suck?  Interesting strategy.  I guess it does take the guesswork out.

I think that this pre-free agency week of "legal tampering" + the increase in entry level money (without a corresponding increase in the overall cap) has changed the landscape somewhat and Walker seems to be the odd man out.  I'm thinking that unless you're so dominant in your position, like Willy, you might need to use that week to solidify an offer because holding out for top dollars doesn't work if there are no top dollars to be had. 

31 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:
43 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

So, you're saying that you'd be more comfortable going with someone who does suck, rather than going with someone who might suck?  Interesting strategy.  I guess it does take the guesswork out.

Collaros also sucked in Hamilton in the end and in Sackstenchewan too the season before last. Just saying....a solid OL can fix a lot of perceived QB deficiencies. 

Come to think of it, Mike Reilly didn't have such a great year last year. You could almost say he sucked. Or was his OL that sucked?

Edited by Firekid

5 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

I think that this pre-free agency week of "legal tampering" + the increase in entry level money (without a corresponding increase in the overall cap) has changed the landscape somewhat and Walker seems to be the odd man out.  I'm thinking that unless you're so dominant in your position, like Willy, you might need to use that week to solidify an offer because holding out for top dollars doesn't work if there are no top dollars to be had. 

Did you not hear? AC Leonard is basically as good as WJ.

20 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Jennings can still be salvaged - the wheels came off when he lost Khari Jones...  Jarious Jackson had a steep OC learning curve and Jennings was part of that

Jennings has been my dark horse bomber QB prediction this off-season, still think it happens - like for $120-150k - surround him with a good team work ethic and a heavy run offence - I think it would work...

I could see him back with Khari in Montreal too 

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Jennings can still be salvaged - the wheels came off when he lost Khari Jones...  Jarious Jackson had a steep OC learning curve and Jennings was part of that

Jennings has been my dark horse bomber QB prediction this off-season, still think it happens - like for $120-150k - surround him with a good team work ethic and a heavy run offence - I think it would work...

I could see him back with Khari in Montreal too 

It  looks like it's going to be McGuire + a rookie or maybe a late T.C. cut like Bennett backing up Collaros this year.  If they wanted to sign Franklin, Pipkin or Jennings they had ample time and opportunity to do so, but decided not to.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It  looks like it's going to be McGuire + a rookie or maybe a late T.C. cut like Bennett backing up Collaros this year.  If they wanted to sign Franklin, Pipkin or Jennings they had ample time and reason to do so, but decided not to.

Re: going with McGuire as #2 QB. There is no way to know how well he will perform under live fire, but at this point last year, had anyone said that Streveler would play a prominent a role in the Grep Cup game, they would have been laughed at. At some point, you put yer money on the table and call.

Edited by Tracker

6 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Re: going with McGuire as #2 QB. There is no way to know how well he will perform under live fire, but at this point last year, had anyone said that Streveler would play as prominent a role in the Grep Cup game, they would have been laughed at. At some point, you put yer money on the table and call.

At this point last year, we were ready to anoint Streveler as 'the next one' ha...  you're thinking about 2018 when Streveler was our 3QB

20 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Re: going with McGuire as #2 QB. There is no way to know how well he will perform under live fire, but at this point last year, had anyone said that Streveler would play as prominent a role in the Grep Cup game, they would have been laughed at. At some point, you put yer money on the table and call.

Agreed.

Streveler started with literally zero regular season attempts and held his own.

The team around him is very good, so he would have a great opportunity.

30 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Streveler started with literally zero regular season attempts and held his own.

He started last season with a touch more experience than McGuire (the three starts in 2018 when Nichols went down with a leg injury which equals 86 attempts). He started 8 games last season and won 3. I wouldn't call that holding his own. A great change of pace guy but hardly a reliable replacement when the QB1 went down. I feel the same will happen if we simply keep McGuire as the QB2. Honestly the Bombers were lucky last season that Nichols stacked up a bunch of wins early in the season.

Edited by Firekid

2 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

It’s not an either or with JJ is it. Test him out at training camp,preseason games and if he doesn’t perform to the level needed you release him, no?

10 minutes ago, Firekid said:

He started last season with a touch more experience than McGuire (the three starts in 2018 when Nichols went down with a leg injury which equals 86 attempts). He started 8 games last season and won 3. I wouldn't call that holding his own. A great change of pace guy but hardly a reliable replacement when the QB1 went down. I feel the same will happen if we simply keep McGuire as the QB2. Honestly the Bombers were lucky last season that Nichols stacked up a bunch of wins early in the season.

2018. When he started with zero experience right out of college.

He held his own. Should have been 3-1.

33 minutes ago, Floyd said:

https://www.cfl.ca/2020/02/14/ferguson-comprehensive-look-fa20/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Nice analysis...  way better than Jamie Nye's

Only bummer is missing Junior Luke 

"The Lions’ 2019 offensive line was the worst positional group in Canadian Football. Hunter Steward was not the problem. As a result, he’s the only returning lineman as this is being written."

Chungh?