Bombers bringing back Willie Jefferson

Mike

2 hours ago, JCon said:

It's cause Darvin is the mouthiest player of all and Willie respects that! ;) 

I think the combo of Darvin yapping at guys + blowing them up as a blocker really gets under their skin... One of the things I really remember from the highlights is constantly seeing LB/DB's getting pissy at Darvin (throughout the season) - I'm actually surprised we didn't get more unsportsmanlike conducts go our way for chippy **** the DB's would do to Darvin throughtout the year.

15 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

I think the combo of Darvin yapping at guys + blowing them up as a blocker really gets under their skin... One of the things I really remember from the highlights is constantly seeing LB/DB's getting pissy at Darvin (throughout the season) - I'm actually surprised we didn't get more unsportsmanlike conducts go our way for chippy **** the DB's would do to Darvin throughtout the year.

He toes the line too though, so I'm glad they let it go both ways.

• 4 weeks later...

I am so excited to see what Buck does with Darvin, Andrew, and rest of this offense this upcoming season. Buck has stated that his philosophy is to use what he has for players and to play to their strengths. I think the strength of this offense starts with our O-line. This is an O-line that can keep a QB clean and can open holes for the best tailback in the league. That tells me that, run or pass, we're going to be successful, as we were last year even with the conservative approach and predictability of Paul Lapolice, which I believe were our biggest weakness on offense.

I don't see why Buck would continue the trend of predictability and conservative approach on offense. In fact, I expect Buck to do the opposite, be aggressive and unpredictable. Yes he has Andrew Harris and I still expect him to be a central cog in our offense, but there were too many times last season when everyone in the stadium knew the ball was going to Andrew, especially the opposing defense. This team has way too many weapons on offense to be predictable and one-dimensional. We have QBs that can air it out and receivers that can go get it. I look for guys like Darvin Adams to lead the way with his experience and savvy, but there's more than Darvin. We have ballers like Kenny Lawler that can also go get it. We have burners like Whitehead and Demski that can strike quickly and from anywhere on the field. We have clutch possession-type receivers like Wolitarsky and Petermann.

Nobody wanted to play us last year because of our defense. It may very well be our offense that scares the crap out of teams this season. Either way it's going to be fun to watch.

23 hours ago, J5V said:

I am so excited to see what Buck does with Darvin, Andrew, and rest of this offense this upcoming season. Buck has stated that his philosophy is to use what he has for players and to play to their strengths. I think the strength of this offense starts with our O-line. This is an O-line that can keep a QB clean and can open holes for the best tailback in the league. That tells me that, run or pass, we're going to be successful, as we were last year even with the conservative approach and predictability of Paul Lapolice, which I believe were our biggest weakness on offense.

I don't see why Buck would continue the trend of predictability and conservative approach on offense. In fact, I expect Buck to do the opposite, be aggressive and unpredictable. Yes he has Andrew Harris and I still expect him to be a central cog in our offense, but there were too many times last season when everyone in the stadium knew the ball was going to Andrew, especially the opposing defense. This team has way too many weapons on offense to be predictable and one-dimensional. We have QBs that can air it out and receivers that can go get it. I look for guys like Darvin Adams to lead the way with his experience and savvy, but there's more than Darvin. We have ballers like Kenny Lawler that can also go get it. We have burners like Whitehead and Demski that can strike quickly and from anywhere on the field. We have clutch possession-type receivers like Wolitarsky and Petermann.

Nobody wanted to play us last year because of our defense. It may very well be our offense that scares the crap out of teams this season. Either way it's going to be fun to watch.

I would be shocked if Buck deviated greatly from Lapo's approach to running an offence and play calling. Why would he? This offence has been very successful over the past few years. We will see a ton of Andrew, and a ton of short passes again this year.

No doubt Buck will follow what’s been successful, 

but,

what we’re looking for, are routes and plays that will compliment the successful plays. And play calling that will take advantage of what opponents aren’t expecting. Buck’s best playing days were sometimes ad-libbed. While we don’t expect encouraging ad-libbed plays, we will look for ‘adjusting’ and not being fearful to try different plays other than throw downs. I believe we’ll get that from Buck.

7 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I would be shocked if Buck deviated greatly from Lapo's approach to running an offence and play calling. Why would he? This offence has been very successful over the past few years. We will see a ton of Andrew, and a ton of short passes again this year.

If I had Andrew Harris and this O-Line I wouldn't be afraid to run the ball. Short passes are fine too so I mostly agree with you. Where I may disagree slightly is that I think we'll be far more willing to take shots deep and to try more intermediate passes. I just think it's smarter football (in my layman opinion). When you take shots deep and show a willingness to throw over the heads of the linebackers you force defenses to play you straight up and that makes life easier for everyone. Not enough of that last year and that's one thing I remember about Buck Pierce -- he wasn't afraid to take a shot. 

7 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

No doubt Buck will follow what’s been successful, 

but,

what we’re looking for, are routes and plays that will compliment the successful plays. And play calling that will take advantage of what opponents aren’t expecting. Buck’s best playing days were sometimes ad-libbed. While we don’t expect encouraging ad-libbed plays, we will look for ‘adjusting’ and not being fearful to try different plays other than throw downs. I believe we’ll get that from Buck.

I hope you're right and I believe you are. What I always found odd about Lapo is that as a player he played wide receiver, yet he would have stagnated as such under his current approach to the game. Buck, having been a QB, is bound to have a different philosophy. Like you, I'm looking for him to compliment what's working and to implement schemes that take advantage of what defenses are doing. Also, remembering last season, what super-impressed me about Collaros was his high level of execution. If the play was there he made it almost every time. Matt was good but Collaros was better.

On 2020-03-12 at 8:46 AM, GCn20 said:

In my line of work if I take over a job from someone, I stick with what they were doing until I have a good understanding of it, then I change things to suit my style or where I think there's room for improvement. Sometimes it stays similiar, sometimes everything changes.  That's what I expect from Buck, he should already understand the system and what he feels works and doesn't work, so I expect him to change things to suit his style.  His style as a QB was never to cowardly check down every play, I suspect that won't be his style as an OC.   It really comes down to what Buck thinks will improve the offense. If he thinks more aggressive playcalling will do that, then I expect that's what we'll see.

While I don't like Lapo as a coach because I don't like his playcalling, I do respect his playbook and knowledge. He designs some very nice plays. So I hope we keep a lot of the playbook, and just utilize it different in how we call the game.