Bombers bringing back Willie Jefferson

Mike

Willie writes...

These last few days have been incredible for me and my family. But being back here in Winnipeg now, it just feels right.

The relationships I’ve built with the guys who have been here for a while really do matter to me. Guys like Andrew Harris, Nik Demski, Paddy Neufeld, Stan (Bryant), Yosh (Jermarcus Hardrick), Darvin (Adams), Jackson (Jeffcoat), Thomas Miles, Bigs (Adam Bighill), Meddy (Justin Medlock), Remp (Chad Rempel)… those guys played a key role in my coming back because they made me feel comfortable here from Day 1.

Coach O’Shea made me feel very comfortable when I first got here last year, too. He told me he wasn’t trying to change who I am or put me in a box and ask me to be a robot. Coach Richie (Hall) was the same. He wanted me to learn the system, but be the player I am and be the baller I am. I felt like I did that, especially having Bigs and Jackson behind me. I wanted to be a vocal leader for the team and try to help make my teammates better.

In the end, it just felt wrong to leave that.

This is what I’m out here for: I’m here to win games, be a part of the community, help my organization and help players grow as men and athletes. I’m an open book to my teammates. They can come talk to me whenever about anything. I’ve been through a lot of things. I’ve grown as a man, as a husband, as a father, as a mentor and as a coach.

We’ve built something here in Winnipeg. I’m building something here in Winnipeg.

Again, why would I want to leave that and start over?

This is where I want to be.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/02/13/words-willie-jefferson/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter -

Willie Jefferson

I have a really good relationship with Coach (Glen) Young, but he wasn’t in the city at the time. Also, I have a really good relationship with Mike Davis, their D-line coach. He had just left the city when we were flying in. I guess it was a good thing I didn’t see the people who I have those relationships with that might have made the decision even harder for me.

ROFL - cmon guys... you are rolling out the red carpet for the guy, at least make sure you've got the D coaches you know he's worked with in the past there to boost your chances.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

and that he's not loyal.....well maybe if you good and loyal to him, he returns the favour...Hello Sask...I guess that 175k was like a slap in the face

Nope...according to Rider fans latest that's all he's worth. Some truly startlingly dumb comments are that pass knockdowns are the equivalent of a tackle and therefore don't really matter, and that AC Leonard.....AC FREAKING LEONARD is just as good as Willie. Never change Riderfans….just truly, and epically stupid.

8 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Nope...according to Rider fans latest that's all he's worth. Some truly startlingly dumb comments are that pass knockdowns are the equivalent of a tackle and therefore don't really matter, and that AC Leonard.....AC FREAKING LEONARD is just as good as Willie. Never change Riderfans….just truly, and epically stupid.

I read that pass knockdown nonsense too. Cripes.

Yup although not an official stat...yet still tracked...leading league in pressures doesn't matter...and yeah a pass knockdown...16 times which is uncanny is as good as a tackle after a first down is gained...yeah ok.....6 force fumbles during season which led league is meaningless too...it's the same as an incomplete pass...didn't you know that??

They like to chirp about Hughes having more tackles, yet lack the insight or the ability to think that maybe teams ran at Hughes more than they did at Willie, and a lot of those tackles were in chase after the ball carrier had gained yards...sour grapes is all it is..he spurnned them...then burned them...then signed back here despite all their theories and assumptions about the guy.

Sad thing is if he had decided to return there, and it would have been for his asking price (like we gave him) it would have been well worth the money...a major coup for them and they fleeced us cause Sask is the better place to be, and you would be seeing "welcome home Willie"..."yes!!!"..."we missed you"..."we got the 3 best DE's in league now!!"...and on and on and an...as thats how that folly fanbase works...and it's entertaining as hell reading their drivel

Edited by Booch

Interesting to hear Willie say the fact Darvin Adam's re-signing was a big influencing factor and got his attention the most in his decision and making it easy., and what a Leader Darvin is on the offence side of ball, and he hope's he can be the same type of leader on the defense.

Kind of parlays what a lot of people have hinted at in regards to how Important Darvin is to the team...

Also he isn't all about the money and he wants the "team" to be able to build around him and make the team better, and all share in a piece of the pie...which goes totally against what a lot of the Rider fans chirp about

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

Interesting to hear Willie say the fact Darvin Adam's re-signing was a big influencing factor and got his attention the most in his decision and making it easy., and what a Leader Darvin is on the offence side of ball, and he hope's he can be the same type of leader on the defense.

Kind of parlays what a lot of people have hinted at in regards to how Important Darvin is to the team...

Also he isn't all about the money and he wants the "team" to be able to build around him and make the team better, and all share in a piece of the pie...which goes totally against what a lot of the Rider fans chirp about

It's cause Darvin is the mouthiest player of all and Willie respects that! ;)