2020 Thread

ALuCsRED

If MBT took a time machine, and a modern OC, back to 84 he would be very successful. However, if MBT were to have broken into the league under the same training and game knowledge that existed at the time he would not have been any more successful than he is now. Same goes for any athlete. Would Crosby score 200 pts in the 80's....possibly...but he's a generational talent. MBT is not. One cannot overstate how much physical and mental conditioning, as well as coaching, has improved over the past 20-30 years. I can't imagine how good James West, or Greg Battle might look with the advancements of today. My guess is they would be all stars in todays game too.

Yes, in the NHL, the style of game heavily contributed to Gretzky's gaudy numbers. However, if Gretzky were a rookie today he likely is on his way to being the GOAT....just without the zillion points he put up. 

It's really hard to compare QB's from different era's, but Reilly, BLM, Flutie, Moon, etc would be great in any era.

Some youngsters think that the latest and greatest are the best ever. Some old guys think that no one can touch the heros of their youth.

If the old guys played today, they'd have today's coaching and todays offenses. If the current guys played in the past, they'd have that era's level of coaching and that era's offensive schemes.

On 2020-12-04 at 4:20 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

So quick poll question for the masses. Should the CFL allow for a window where individual teams get an exclusive chance to re-sign players that were on their club roster and that they let go when the pandemic shut down the year before they can be scooped by any other team, or should they all be treated as pure free agents free to sign with any team they want right from the get go?

it's my understanding that those players would revert back, or had some kind of handshake/gentleman's agreement to previous team...similar to that window to test the NFL previous to this....I'm not worried about any of our guys we let loose bolting, as they all wan to be back.

Also if we have camp in the summer, don't be shocked to see Sayles and Kongbo here as well...

Teams from the 80's and early 90's would have a very hard time competing, let alone beating teams in this era...just the way it is...I see it first hand with training recruits the difference in size..speed...stength and skill, not to mention knowledge of game from back when I played...and that wasn't even that long ago...There are guys from the past who could still play and compete if they could time travel here now, but they were the freaks' and anomalies....rosters now are littered with dozens of freaks and anomalies...not to mention they are game ready pretty much all yr long

I remember camps when camps were 3 times as long where thats where guys came in to "get" in shape....and then take 2-3 games to "get" into game shape....that doesn't happen now

On 2020-12-08 at 12:10 PM, Booch said:

it's my understanding that those players would revert back, or had some kind of handshake/gentleman's agreement to previous team...similar to that window to test the NFL previous to this....I'm not worried about any of our guys we let loose bolting, as they all wan to be back.

Also if we have camp in the summer, don't be shocked to see Sayles and Kongbo here as well...

I want these two back- solid players and one ratio breaker

Anyone paying attention to the 3rdown 100 top CFL players list? Wtf were they smoking?? They put Gainey, Unamba and Medlock ahead of Bighill....BIGHILL, yes the guy one year removed from DPOY....Medlock is great, but he is NOT a better football player then Bighill. And thise other two aren't even great. Unamba is solid and Gainey is a ******* fraud.

Edited by Bigblue204

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Anyone paying attention to the 3rdown 100 top CFL players list? Wtf were they smoking?? They put Gainey, Unamba and Medlock ahead of Bighill....BIGHILL, yes the guy one year removed from DPOY....Medlock is great, but he is NOT a better football player then Bighill. And thise other two aren't even great. Unamba is solid and Gainey is a ******* fraud.

Is that from RiderFanCircleJerk.com?

On 2020-12-08 at 12:19 PM, Booch said:

Teams from the 80's and early 90's would have a very hard time competing, let alone beating teams in this era...just the way it is...I see it first hand with training recruits the difference in size..speed...stength and skill, not to mention knowledge of game from back when I played...and that wasn't even that long ago...There are guys from the past who could still play and compete if they could time travel here now, but they were the freaks' and anomalies....rosters now are littered with dozens of freaks and anomalies...not to mention they are game ready pretty much all yr long

I remember camps when camps were 3 times as long where thats where guys came in to "get" in shape....and then take 2-3 games to "get" into game shape....that doesn't happen now

For sure that's true. If time machines existed it wouldn't be fair. However, if the old or new athletes had the same level of training, coaching etc. you would probably see there is not much difference. The guys from the 80's were the best football players on the planet outside the NFL, just as the guys here now are. The difference now is their strength and conditioning programs, the coaching, the technology to scout and watch film etc. 

However, I agree if you took the 1984 Bombers in a time machine and placed them in a game against the 2019 Bombers they would get destroyed. That doesn't mean they weren't the best football team outside the NFL that year, all it means is times have changed. In the 80's we were still eating 4lbs of spaghetti the night before a game for energy for cripes sakes....lol.

23 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

These rankings are based solely on the 2019 season. Biggie did not have a great year.

Edited by GCn20

10 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

For sure that's true. If time machines existed it wouldn't be fair. However, if the old or new athletes had the same level of training, coaching etc. you would probably see there is not much difference. The guys from the 80's were the best football players on the planet outside the NFL, just as the guys here now are. The difference now is their strength and conditioning programs, the coaching, the technology to scout and watch film etc. 

However, I agree if you took the 1984 Bombers in a time machine and placed them in a game against the 2019 Bombers they would get destroyed. That doesn't mean they weren't the best football team outside the NFL that year, all it means is times have changed. In the 80's we were still eating 4lbs of spaghetti the night before a game for energy for cripes sakes....lol.

These rankings are based solely on the 2019 season. Biggie did not have a great year.

100 percent agree...the teams then wee top notch, and best players available...its just the evolution of the athlete...

These intergenerational talks are so futile. There are so many variables. Maybe I was the next Wayne Gretzky but I put next to no effort into doing so? Maybe Wayne Gretzky would have hated the demand that hockey brings these days and decided not to play. Circumstances change, people can be more/less successful. Seems silly to argue about it. Or maybe it's fun, I don't know

Edited by BBlink

On 2020-12-15 at 11:34 AM, rebusrankin said:

On 2020-12-18 at 1:20 PM, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Meh, so what- we're still Grey Cup champs. Give them top 100 whatevers.

I agree with the list. By "agree" I mean I agree with the prospect of giving the Bombers locker room more fuel for the fire. Plays right into their underrated, blue collar style of play and punching the Ti-Cats/Stamps/Riders or whoever else  they face when it matters most.

I think a more important question is... does Speedy B display that Most Outstanding Player trophy anywhere? Maybe right next to the photoshopped picture of him hoisting the Grey Cup?

On 2020-12-18 at 4:25 PM, BBlink said:

These intergenerational talks are so futile. There are so many variables. Maybe I was the next Wayne Gretzky but I put next to no effort into doing so? Maybe Wayne Gretzky would have hated the demand that hockey brings these days and decided not to play. Circumstances change, people can be more/less successful. Seems silly to argue about it. Or maybe it's fun, I don't know

It beats watching Hallmark Christmas movies. Especially this year.

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It beats watching Hallmark Christmas movies. Especially this year.

Neat site that (sort of) fixes this problem:

https://www.movieofthenight.com/

Lets you sort Netflix/Amazon Prime etc. videos by genre instead of using Netflix's terrible interface. Also allows to filter for movies on Netflix Canada, which tends to be terrible for distribution rights. Gems that are good comedies I have found through it are:

Clue (available on Amazon Prime)
Manhattan Murder Mystery

Both hilarious who-dunnit mystery/comedies that help with the COVID blues and are good for a laugh.

9 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

I agree with the list. By "agree" I mean I agree with the prospect of giving the Bombers locker room more fuel for the fire. Plays right into their underrated, blue collar style of play and punching the Ti-Cats/Stamps/Riders or whoever else  they face when it matters most.

I think a more important question is... does Speedy B display that Most Outstanding Player trophy anywhere? Maybe right next to the photoshopped picture of him hoisting the Grey Cup?

Whenever a list appears & the Riders ae involved their fans just flood the results. Funny how so the Riders had so many great players & have only won 4 Grey Cups. 

1 minute ago, Eternal optimist said:

Neat site that (sort of) fixes this problem:

https://www.movieofthenight.com/

Lets you sort Netflix/Amazon Prime etc. videos by genre instead of using Netflix's terrible interface. Also allows to filter for movies on Netflix Canada, which tends to be terrible for distribution rights. Gems that are good comedies I have found through it are:

Clue (available on Amazon Prime)
Manhattan Murder Mystery

Both hilarious who-dunnit mystery/comedies that help with the COVID blues and are good for a laugh.

I've pvr'd a lot of movies since March & have binged watched Star Trek: Enterprise & Deep Space 9. I like watching old Westerns from the 40's on to the early 70's. Same with old war movies. 

On 2020-12-18 at 5:25 PM, BBlink said:

Maybe old Walter couldn't afford the 10000 or so  it costs to play hockey every year now. Maybe Wayne would have been sent to a skills camp where they don't teach you skill anymore.. they teach you how to play like everyone else.