2020 Thread

ALuCsRED

I think many Bomber fans couldn't get past the fact we should have really won  a Cup game against the rider's in 07' and Glenn didn't play...Most fans thought we would've /should've won that one if Kevin was behind centre..Pretty tough to blame a guy who didn't even play ,but the stigma was there....It was just as much Charlie's fault that he broke his arm reaching for a ball that Blink coughed up near the T.O. goal line in the final, but somehow Glenn wore that one...Them's the breaks

On 2020-11-07 at 12:29 PM, Brandon said:

I'd say he had a much easier time here then Matt Nichols.    I don't remember people blaming Glenn for our woes.   I remember the opposite of people being WTF Mike Kelly getting rid of Glenn.  

I remember things differently. The vast majority sang hail to the chief when Kelly terminated Glenn. It was only when the "the plan" became Stefan Lefors that some people suddenly began questioning the release of Glenn while a not so silent minority began questioning if Kelly was cut out for the GM game. This led to some very dark times on the Bomber forums as the pro-Kelly and anti-Kelly factions went tooth and nail at each other. There was a fan club attempt made but you had to swear loyalty to Kelly to join. It was bizarre. I was anti-Kelly from the day he released Glenn with no real QB plan in place and I had a rough time that year...right up until he beat his wife (I mean allegedly beat his wife)...then the tide turned.

Edited by GCn20

On 2020-11-07 at 12:41 PM, rebusrankin said:

Glenn got dissed for being good not great and there were many fans glad he was gone after 2008, especially after a poor loss in the ESF. To be fair, I think there have been fans shitting on every QB we've had since Dunigan.

IMO he was an ok QB that managed to squeeze out every ounce of his skill and stuck around for a long time. He needed an excellent team around him to reach that next level, as opposed to some QB's that can drag people with them and almost will them to be better. He was just good enough to break your heart. It was his nonchalant attitude that always drove me nuts. Ill never forget a post game interview with Bob where Glenn had a brutal night and threw a game ending pick. Bob asked him something like "so kevin, you had a rough night out there, that last interception, the game was within reach, do you maybe wish you had made a different decision on that one?" and Glenn's response was "well you know, its just football. Its just a game. Ill wake up tomorrow". I remember Bob seemed to be at a loss for words after his response. It always just seemed to me that he lacked that fire and drive that most of the greats have.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Is Reilly really that clueless?? Why should he be paid while the other players haven't been. 

Wut.

Reilly is 100% in the right.

They put guaranteed money in the contract, they have to honor it.

It's the same as NHL GMs handing out no trade clauses like chiclets.

Edited by Dr Zaius

1 hour ago, Dr Zaius said:

Wut.

Reilly is 100% in the right.

They put guaranteed money in the contract, they have to honor it.

It's the same as NHL GMs handing out no trade clauses like chiclets.

Sorry, don't agree. He takes it to court he loses as the club had zero revenue. The team lost money under extraordinary circumstances. His lawsuit would get thrown out. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

I don't want my league failing to pay guaranteed money in any circumstance. BC Management should pass the hat around and get Reilly his money. That looks bad on us big time. Salary cap is expected to shrink if we even get another season. How are we to attract/retain quality players if our contracts aren't worth the un-filed napkins they're written on?

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Sorry, don't agree. He takes it to court he loses as the club had zero revenue. The team lost money under extraordinary circumstances. His lawsuit would get thrown out. 

That’s not how the law works. If he has a legit case, the courts won’t throw it out because specific performance (paying him out) can’t be met. The court could rule in his favour, but practically speaking he might still not get paid if they are bankrupt. He would just get in line with the rest of the creditors who are owed money. 
What you are suggesting is crazy. Imagine if I hired you to fix my fence for $10,000, and then did not pay you for services rendered under our agreed upon contract. You sue, I go to court and say, yeah, I don’t have any money to pay him so throw out his lawsuit and the court says to you that you have no case because I don’t have the money I promised you, agreeing to throw out the lawsuit because of my failings, not yours. Businesses everywhere would line up to have a court system that operated that way. Workers, not so much. 

3 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

Yes, bankruptcy is the only thing I could see preventing him from getting all his money. Even then, he'd likely get some small part of it... but then, the BC Lions will have been liquidated, so there's that to be concerned about...

There is a clause in Canadian law called "force majeur" that allows contracts to be invalidated in the event of a catastrophe that could not reasonably foreseen- such as massive earthquakes, domestic armed insurrections and so forth.

Edited by Tracker

Remember that all CFL contracts are not guaranteed, so common practice with veterans on the edge was to cut them before Labour Day to avoid them getting paid out for the balance of the season, or cutting a vet in March just before a bonus was due. Lousy optics and a shady way to handle contracts, but all legit in the CFL, so the Lions had the chance to do this with Reilly and did not, so I say they are on the hook for it. Bombers cut loose a bunch of their guys  to free them up for NFL opportunities and avoid contract headaches when it was clear this year would not happen. All teams had that option, BC chose to hold on to their guy, so honour the contract. 

12 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Remember that all CFL contracts are not guaranteed, so common practice with veterans on the edge was to cut them before Labour Day to avoid them getting paid out for the balance of the season, or cutting a vet in March just before a bonus was due. Lousy optics and a shady way to handle contracts, but all legit in the CFL, so the Lions had the chance to do this with Reilly and did not, so I say they are on the hook for it. Bombers cut loose a bunch of their guys  to free them up for NFL opportunities and avoid contract headaches when it was clear this year would not happen. All teams had that option, BC chose to hold on to their guy, so honour the contract. 

Can't get blood from a stone. Reilly can win in court 100 times over but if the money ain't there to give him then he ain't getting paid. 

32 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Am I really bad at internetting? I've been trying to get the Bomber trivia game working (Bombers Twitter account posted it) and it takes you to a Terms of Service page and asking you to accept it.....buuut I can't find anything to click that I accept it.

Anyone else try?

mw9JTqa.jpg

You have to click I Approve at the bottom.