2020 Thread

ALuCsRED

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Government sounded more like loan sharks. 

That was my take initially. Then I saw this article from Justin Dunk.

https://3downnation.com/2020/08/17/the-cfl-wanted-to-be-treated-different-than-every-other-canadian-citizen/

If there's any accuracy to it, sounds like a bunch of CFL owners really didn't want a CFL season this year. A 7% loan is reasonable but they probably thought why take a 7% interest loan plus lose money on the season. Guaranteed the Bombers wanted a season, but bet Toronto, Montreal, BC said no. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

I've been critical of Ambrosie the whole time; however, when things start flying, I duck and let them hit you. 

I don't really care for him and perhaps that clouds my perspective but, in this case, I would be critical of anyone who went in front of gov't without a plan. I have been on the other side, receiving pitches for all sorts of funding proposals. Meetings are very short when you don't have a plan. And, trying to get another face-to-face meeting would be very hard. I suspect the Feds gave them lots of opportunities but they needed to take the same proposal that was being floated to everyone else. 

I have a story for you but in this case, I won't use the name of the person who told me as he is a facebook friend & an MP in Ottawa. He is well connected to the CFL. When Ambrosie made his sales pitch last spring asking for $130 million dollars, this politician approached him & said, "I can help you. I know the members of the Committee & how to present your proposal to them. What to say, how to say it & who to say it to." Ambrosie had no interest in talking to him, getting help or finding out what tools he would need when talking to the Committee. He talked to Ambrosie a couple of times & was rebuffed eaxh time. He called the Commissioner "clueless". 

Well, we know what happened. Ambrosie appeared before the committee asked for $130 million. He said the CFL would fold without it. No, the Players don't know I'm here. I have no formal plan because all I want to do is get some money from you guys & we'll take care of the rest. And by the way, the teams lost $20 million dollars last season (2019). Ambrosie's initial presentation turned into a disaster & subsequent meetings  afterwards where the amount of $$$ asked kept going down. Until last night we find the Liberals turned the league down flat & the season is cancelled. First impressions are everything & Ambrosie blew it

30 minutes ago, bustamente said:

How different will the CFL look when it comes back next year, will all teams be back, what players will retire, and will the fans be back in the stadiums.

The CFL needs to see this as an opportunity and use this time to formulate a better approach in working with the PA as more of a partnership and not as an adversarial war.

Image may contain: text

I'm actually really excited to find out what this big plan is, that they've got coming up..... I'm not really a fan of the idea of "true profit sharing" to keep the shitty Argos alive because we actually support our team. We post big profits because we actually care...I hate thinking about that money going to the f***ing Argos.....

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'm actually really excited to find out what this big plan is, that they've got coming up..... I'm not really a fan of the idea of "true profit sharing" to keep the shitty Argos alive because we actually support our team. We post big profits because we actually care...I hate thinking about that money going to the f***ing Argos.....

I get where you're coming from, but personally I've always had peace with the thought that the league just wouldn't be the same without the Argos...

35 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

I think you can’t do a lottery for a private business. Community owned teams might be another story.

Ya people think it's the Oilers that did the 50/50 but it's their charity arm, which is a foundation, that does the raffle. The proceeds don't have anything to do with the Oilers other than it goes to charities that the team selects... Same with the True North Foundation in Wpg. The money doesn't go to the Jets. 

Well to look at the glass half full....  we do have a tonne of players who are young and if we can retain them all for the next season I still think we have a great chance.  We have a great foundation and maybe Strev comes back in 2021 and takes us to the cup?

After a night to process things, I'm actually at peace with the cancelled season. Worse case scenario would be they get the loan, attempt to start the season back up and something sh*tty happens, imagine the finger pointing that would take place if an outbreak outside the bubble happened or full teams getting outbreaks, and getting sent home mid season, or the whole league having to shut down, all would be bad for the brand. Take a step back and collect your thoughts and come back stronger than ever (please).