2020 Thread

ALuCsRED

6 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Honestly it makes no sense for league to play even a 6 game season if they have to pay more than 33% of the salaries. I don’t know where the players think all this money is coming from. I wish it was not this way but it is the way it is.

Saunders was talking on twitter about the 9 owners paying ten% to help...i dont know what he means by that. But there seems to be at least some wishful thinking by the players to say the least. 

51 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Saunders was talking on twitter about the 9 owners paying ten% to help...i dont know what he means by that. But there seems to be at least some wishful thinking by the players to say the least. 

Without thousands of fans paying premium prices and the concession sales, the entire business model simply falls apart. There's a reason they don't let in outside food at the games. It's their bread & butter.

20 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Obviously we just need Margaret Trudeau to take snaps as a Running Back and we'll be golden.

After a 3 minute try out, we could test her for performance enhancing drugs and VOILA, the sample disappears. 

This video is the closest thing we’ve gotten giving us some sort of information on what was to be the 2020 season. 
According to this video, teams will lose less money if they don’t play this year. 

I don't care what fans think about Rod Pedersen or Justin Dunk, they at least are still invested in trying to get some information for the fans.

My personal opinion is..no season, build for the future. Easy to say...

The Canadian Football League has presented its financial plan for the interest-free loan request from the Canadian government.

According to Canadian Press reporter Dan Ralph, the new CFL ask to the feds is for $30 million total, $28 million of which would fund a shortened 2020 season.

Approximately two-thirds (or about $19 million) would go towards covering player salaries and operation of the CFL bubble in Winnipeg, its tentative hub city. Roughly half the overall total (or around $14 million) would be allocated for hub-city costs like food and lodging, testing and buses for players, coaches and support staff.

https://3downnation.com/2020/08/05/cfl-earmarks-5-million-of-canadian-government-interest-free-loan-request-for-player-salaries/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

3 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

La de da.

This is exactly the point some of us were trying to make.
Money for nothing for the ‘arts’ culture, but a bad loan for the lower class culture?

C’mon, you can do better than that Canada.

Easy to take shots like this but this is a federally owned facility - not a private business - and not employing a majority of Americans

CFL looks like it’s totally fumbles this funding request... first time for me that it looks like there will be no season

28 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Easy to take shots like this but this is a federally owned facility - not a private business - and not employing a majority of Americans

CFL looks like it’s totally fumbles this funding request... first time for me that it looks like there will be no season

You’re quibbling about the fact it’s a federal facility and not the scope of the “grant” versus a high interest loan? 

OK then.

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

You’re quibbling about the fact it’s a federal facility and not the scope of the “grant” versus a high interest loan? 

OK then.

I’m quibbling about the fact that it’s apples and oranges.  And that sports fans are crying about how art is not important ha - the same way the rest of the country says sports are pointless

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

I’m quibbling about the fact that it’s apples and oranges.  And that sports fans are crying about how art is not important ha - the same way the rest of the country says sports are pointless

I guess you miss the point.

11 minutes ago, Booch said:

when you add up Canadian players...coaches...the front office staff...game day workers..vendors..stadium crews...tv crews...refs...it is majority of Canadian employees who are not able to work...or are working on a reduced workload

CFL could easily be covering that with the CERB wage subsidy like the rest of us...  I just don’t understand the package they are asking for - seems like they just asked for a loan without a real plan

CERB wage subsidy covers all those people listed to 70-80% - BDC has had a large scale CERB emergency loan program available for three months now - the interest is low on that even if it’s not interest free - plus you always have an option to negotiate for a forgiveable loan down the line 

would be good to see some details - I no longer see the roadblock facing the CFL

1 hour ago, Booch said:

when you add up Canadian players...coaches...the front office staff...game day workers..vendors..stadium crews...tv crews...refs...it is majority of Canadian employees who are not able to work...or are working on a reduced workload

Plus all those American players pay taxes on their money here anyway.