2020 Thread

ALuCsRED

42 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Well i too would like my full salary to work 1/3 of the time, but the world doesn't work like that.

The 6-game plan is just not going to work... ย CFL needs half a season (12ย weeks and then 3 weeks for playoffs) but training camp would have to start early/mid-August and the CFL/CFLPA would need to agree to a plan by the end of this week basically.

As usual, instead of just making a basic sensible plan - CFL leadership is all over the charts

I mean why exactly would the teams have to quarantine for the whole season when there's a western Canada travel bubble in existence and each province is re-opening in Phases? ย Makes zero sense... ย quarantine for two weeks on arrival and then test the players after each game (one day quarantine)...

59 minutes ago, Floyd said:

The 6-game plan is just not going to work... ย CFL needs half a season (12ย weeks and then 3 weeks for playoffs) but training camp would have to start early/mid-August and the CFL/CFLPA would need to agree to a plan by the end of this week basically.

As usual, instead of just making a basic sensible plan - CFL leadership is all over the charts

I mean why exactly would the teams have to quarantine for the whole season when there's a western Canada travel bubble in existence and each province is re-opening in Phases? ย Makes zero sense... ย quarantine for two weeks on arrival and then test the players after each game (one day quarantine)...

Any sport that is operating in a so called โ€œBubbleโ€ will still have contact with people from outside that bubble. It is an illusion if you donโ€™t think the virus will not infect these bubbles. The other illusion is the belief that you can lock these players away for a sustained period of time and not have issues with players going over the wall or sneaking outsiders in. It doesnโ€™t take a major breech but a few small cracks for the virus to start to spread.

38 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Any sport that is operating in a so called โ€œBubbleโ€ will still have contact with people from outside that bubble. It is an illusion if you donโ€™t think the virus will not infect these bubbles. The other illusion is the belief that you can lock these players away for a sustained period of time and not have issues with players going over the wall or sneaking outsiders in. It doesnโ€™t take a major breech but a few small cracks for the virus to start to spread.

I don't know why I'm bothering because I'm fairly skeptical you're open to anything that might be a positive idea about the CFL ha...

The whole point is that you essentially don't need a bubble like this in western Canada... if the players who come in are proved to be covid free, why keep all of them quarantined from the rest of the populace? ย Let them go out and have lives... ย we already have masks, social distancing, etc etc and there's almost zero community spread in western Canada. ย The 105 day quarantine seems ridicilous.

3 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

๐Ÿ‘โ€๐Ÿ—จ Obviously not sitting well with Sewell...

Nor Washington...

ย 

I donโ€™t know. Some players donโ€™t seem too happy...
It doesnโ€™t seem like an agreement will be reached at this time under these conditions.

So, anybody in for ย a Competitive Foosball League?

Norย Vernon Adams..

The 27-year-old franchise pivot wants his fellow Canadian Football League players to be paid regardless if there are games played in 2020 amid the COVID-19 pandemic or not.

https://3downnation.com/2020/07/14/alouettes-qb-vernon-adams-calls-for-players-to-be-paid-regardless-if-cfl-plays-games-in-2020/

๐Ÿ‘โ€๐Ÿ—จ He should give back his signing bonus ($165,000) so it can be spilt up more evenly...

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

I don't know why I'm bothering because I'm fairly skeptical you're open to anything that might be a positive idea about the CFL ha...

The whole point is that you essentially don't need a bubble like this in western Canada... if the players who come in are proved to be covid free, why keep all of them quarantined from the rest of the populace? ย Let them go out and have lives... ย we already have masks, social distancing, etc etc and there's almost zero community spread in western Canada. ย The 105 day quarantine seems ridicilous.

Players need to quarantine for 14 days. When they come out of quarantine Covid free then they should be good to go. Isolate the players who don't.ย 

Its a very unfortunate situation for the finances of my individuals and owners as well. When it comes to rookie compensation we need to understand also that 8 out 9 of them will be making at least one playoff check because it sounds like this proposal is based on an expanded playoffs.ย  It will suck for rookies no doubt. However, many rookies in the past have been willing to come home with nothing and just sit on the practice roster in hopes of getting an opportunity in the future and I don't think there will be a max exodus of rookies should this proposal go through. Those who don't want to come and play for that I think we can all respect that and they can ask for their release.ย  However, they will have no problems filling those vacancies with other rookies who also have upside.ย 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Players need to quarantine for 14 days. When they come out of quarantine Covid free then they should be good to go. Isolate the players who don't.ย 

I agree... but the sports proposals are going well beyond that - at a time when we are opening up... ย doesn't make sense

26 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think because so many players are present. They want to keep everyone together to control the situation.

Again... people will do that when they are getting paid $1 million to $10 million a year... ย I'd say that has more to do with lawyers and insurance than player health

Would any of us go into quarantine away from our friends and families for almost four months for $9000 CDN.. when the rest of the country is basically open?

ย 

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Again... people will do that when they are getting paid $1 million to $10 million a year... ย I'd say that has more to do with lawyers and insurance than player health

Would any of us go into quarantine away from our friends and families for almost four months for $9000 CDN.. when the rest of the country is basically open?

ย 

Well, this comes down to a lack of leadership from the CFL. The BOG's & Randy Ambrosie.ย 

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Wait people are getting paid to do this and I've been an introvert for free?!? I knew I was being scammed...

7 hours ago, Brandon said:

I may be wrong but did the AAFL and XFL pay out all the players promised money once they folded?

ย 

I know the XFL stated players would be paid their 2020 salaries, despite only playing 5 games before the COVID shutdown. Average XFL salary was around 55k USD

52 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Was that before filing for bankruptcy?ย 

Yes, the only instance I know of this being said came before folding. I seem to recall hearing Trestman was out of luck trying to collect his outstanding hundreds of thousands owed to him though. I don't know if anyone has actually been paid, only that they were told they would be.

On 2020-07-13 at 7:08 PM, DR. CFL said:

You know who care about the CFL in Toronto and a Vancouver? TSN....if you donโ€™t think that revenue in that TV deal is predicated on having teams in those markets you are mistaken. Hate those teams all you want thatโ€™s the marketing reality of the situation.

Agree. That's the point I was trying to make. If there's no season at all, no games on TSN, good luck trying to drum up either fan attendance or TV viewers in the biggest markets in Canada. Which definitely would impact any future TV deals with TSN or whomever.ย I don't hate those teams or cities. I lived in both. The CFL is a very tough sell in both. Toronto is Raptors and Leafs. Vancouver is snow boarding, hanging out, Canucks, in that order. So, for the sake of the small number of hardcore fans in those cities, and to hopefully attract more there, I think the CFL has to try some kind of season this year. Maybe even consider some type of involvement for those cities for games being played. Something!

20 hours ago, Floyd said:

I get you are a fan and have your own subjective opinion. I worked in different pro sports, for a number of teams. Donโ€™t confuse what you call skepticism for objective opinion. I am a fan of the CFL, but looking at the challenges that other pro sports are experiencing is cause for concern as to the practicality of this. Ultimately players will decide and early indications are a 6 game schedule maybe a deterrent for some.

1 hour ago, DR. CFL said:

I get you are a fan and have your own subjective opinion. I worked in different pro sports, for a number of teams. Donโ€™t confuse what you call skepticism for objective opinion. I am a fan of the CFL, but looking at the challenges that other pro sports are experiencing is cause for concern as to the practicality of this. Ultimately players will decide and early indications are a 6 game schedule maybe a deterrent for some.

Have a good day, Mike.