2020 Thread

ALuCsRED

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I wonder if we'll get to see Hamilton's "CFL Super Team" this year? At least according to Justin Dunk.

Kind of gutted. I was going to a conference in Toronto starting on June 14th, the day after the home opener in Hamilton. I was going to go from TO to Hamilton for the game but now the conference is cancelled and so is my trip. 

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

Kind of gutted. I was going to a conference in Toronto starting on June 14th, the day after the home opener in Hamilton. I was going to go from TO to Hamilton for the game but now the conference is cancelled and so is my trip. 

Yeah, I hear you. My wife & I were supposed to go to Seattle this weekend but that is cancelled. With our work schedules it may be nearly a year before we can both go to see our family. We'll have to make single trips when this Covid 19 virus is over. Who knows when that'll be. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

• 2 months later...

Going to resurrect this, as the CFL regular season would have started this weekend. Last night would have been the first games of the season on TSN....

Ed Tait does a great job putting into words what a lot of us are feeling right now, trying to understand a summer without CFL football:

https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/06/12/first-10-column-reflecting-season-opener/

Edited by Noeller

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Going to resurrect this, as the CFL regular season would have started this weekend. Last night would have been the first games of the season on TSN....

Ed Tait does a great job putting into words what a lot of us are feeling right now, trying to understand a summer without CFL football:

https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/06/12/first-10-column-reflecting-season-opener/

I just had a sad.

Guys like Hufnagel, Hervey & others have to bite the bullet. Not fair they draw such large salaries that even with a 30% pay cut they still make $300=400,000 a year while the videographer or an assistant coach on their teams making thousands less are let go.  Bite the bullet. Total BS with upper management being overpaid.

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Guys like Hufnagel, Hervey & others have to bite the bullet. Not fair they draw such large salaries that even with a 30% pay cut they still make $300=400,000 a year while the videographer or an assistant coach on their teams making thousands less are let go.  Bite the bullet. Total BS with upper management being overpaid.

Welcome to the reality world of business. Galen Weston of Loblaws / Superstore worth billions just cut back the pandemic raise increase as did Amazon.  CEOs around the world got bonuses prior to government pandemic handouts. Your others exist on every business on every team, including the executives in the CFL office. REALITY  !

3 minutes ago, Floyd said:

i Don’t get this coaching cap... getting harder to retain good guys

People talk about how replaceable players are.....no different than coaches.....business , all businesses have to live within their means....if you don’t you fail.

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'd be pretty choked to see this after CFL 2.0 just did the 'world tour' and now you need to scout in several countries...  AND seeing more positions hired in the CFL execs for the globals...

A 20% cut in staffing is not a viable growth move in any industry - especially one competing to even be noticed - I'm not against CFL 2.0 but expanding into a new market while you're bleeding in your current one is a terrible idea

7 hours ago, Floyd said:

I'd be pretty choked to see this after CFL 2.0 just did the 'world tour' and now you need to scout in several countries...  AND seeing more positions hired in the CFL execs for the globals...

A 20% cut in staffing is not a viable growth move in any industry - especially one competing to even be noticed - I'm not against CFL 2.0 but expanding into a new market while you're bleeding in your current one is a terrible idea

Agree. It's just another stupid idea from You Know Who. Don't grow the game in Southern Ontario. Grow it in Serbia. Surely the big bucks will flow. Build it & they will come. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Welcome to the reality world of business. Galen Weston of Loblaws / Superstore worth billions just cut back the pandemic raise increase as did Amazon.  CEOs around the world got bonuses prior to government pandemic handouts. Your others exist on every business on every team, including the executives in the CFL office. REALITY  !

This isn't Loblaws. Fans aren't stupid & they'll figure it out soon enough. They know what is going on unlike the inner workings of a large private business. If Hufnagel's salary is $650,000 (low estimate) & he cuts it to $520,000 (20% cut) yet they still lay off two assistant coaches who make $50,000 each & he could have taken a further pay cut to get down to $420,000 to cover those 2 coaches salaries but refuses it still is money that counts towards the admin cap as well as operating expenses of the Stamps. he just gets more than anyone else.

Myself, I'm tired of seeing these CFL team Presidents, Head Coaches & GMs give themselves the big money while everyone else suffers. If anything good comes from this damned pandemic it's the end of paying guys like Hervey, Hufnagel & Jim Popp these outrageous big bucks.  Look how much the Riders paid Chris Jones. The money needs to be spread around fairly. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

This isn't Loblaws. Fans aren't stupid & they'll figure it out soon enough. They know what is going on unlike the inner workings of a large private business. If Hufnagel's salary is $650,000 (low estimate) & he cuts it to $520,000 (20% cut) yet they still lay off two assistant coaches who make $50,000 each & he could have taken a further pay cut to get down to $420,000 to cover those 2 coaches salaries but refuses it still is money that counts towards the admin cap as well as operating expenses of the Stamps. he just gets more than anyone else.

Myself, I'm tired of seeing these CFL team Presidents, Head Coaches & GMs give themselves the big money while everyone else suffers. If anything good comes from this damned pandemic it's the end of paying guys like Hervey, Hufnagel & Jim Popp these outrageous big bucks.  Look how much the Riders paid Chris Jones. The money needs to be spread around fairly. 

You failed to mention Miller and Walters....you seriously don’t think they are making chump change....and don’t kid yourself there are no assistant coaches making $50,000.   If someone wants to pay you $500,000 who is to blame....someone had to sign those contracts and agree to pay those sums. Fans might not be stupid but can you say the same for owners and BoDs that hire Presidents and GMs then?

6 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

You failed to mention Miller and Walters....you seriously don’t think they are making chump change....and don’t kid yourself there are no assistant coaches making $50,000.   If someone wants to pay you $500,000 who is to blame....someone had to sign those contracts and agree to pay those sums. Fans might not be stupid but can you say the same for owners and BoDs that hire Presidents and GMs then?

Rookie assistant coaches don't make a lot of money. I'd say $50,000 is a safe bet. The more experienced & the longer you coach the more $$$ you make. I don't think you have any idea of the pay structure for coaches & videographers in the CFL. You just believe because it's pro football that automatically they are making big bucks which is not true. They also have no benefits. Sure Miller & Walters make a high income but Walters doesn't make anywhere near what Hufnagel does or what Chris Jones or Jim Popp did. 

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Rookie assistant coaches don't make a lot of money. I'd say $50,000 is a safe bet. The more experienced & the longer you coach the more $$$ you make. I don't think you have any idea of the pay structure for coaches & videographers in the CFL. You just believe because it's pro football that automatically they are making big bucks which is not true. They also have no benefits. Sure Miller & Walters make a high income but Walters doesn't make anywhere near what Hufnagel does or what Chris Jones or Jim Popp did. 

Cost-cutting is a terrible plan for a league where Riders, Bombers, Stamps, Esks and prob Hammie are all making money while 'profit sharing' leaves the league in trouble overall 

Running the league based on the Toronto and BC situations is a broken business model - CFL always gets trapped trying to compete outright in large urban centres rather than setting up community-based grassroots support... which in reality supports their only successful franchises