2020 Thread

ALuCsRED

38 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What a clown show by both the league & the Players... 

I really don’t know about that. I consider what the rich boys are doing..mainly in MLB and their Player association, to be the clown show. They have tremendous assets, both sides, and they’re arguing about pro-rating. Small potatoes comparatively.

Our League and our players are up against the wall big time..through no fault of their own. The players are afraid and I don’t blame them. The League is without answers, but really, who has answers? This is unprecedented.

Elimimian seems to have a handle on it, but he’s got yappers behind him. Ambrosie has tight lips. He’s losing the room. They must get together..with the aim of next year, at 5he very least, as the end game.

There’s a hell of a lot that has to work out for a season this year, but I sincerely believe they’re trying.

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

I really don’t know about that. I consider what the rich boys are doing..mainly in MLB and their Player association, to be the clown show. They have tremendous assets, both sides, and they’re arguing about pro-rating. Small potatoes comparatively.

Our League and our players are up against the wall big time..through no fault of their own. The players are afraid and I don’t blame them. The League is without answers, but really, who has answers? This is unprecedented.

Elimimian seems to have a handle on it, but he’s got yappers behind him. Ambrosie has tight lips. He’s losing the room. They must get together..with the aim of next year, at 5he very least, as the end game.

There’s a hell of a lot that has to work out for a season this year, but I sincerely believe they’re trying.

This reminds me of the lead up to last season where 'the league hadn't even talked to the players about a CBA' etc etc and then suddenly the deal was done

The league doesn't run everything by the players because they know the players have no bargaining power - its just reality.

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Rookie assistant coaches don't make a lot of money. I'd say $50,000 is a safe bet. The more experienced & the longer you coach the more $$$ you make. I don't think you have any idea of the pay structure for coaches & videographers in the CFL. You just believe because it's pro football that automatically they are making big bucks which is not true. They also have no benefits. Sure Miller & Walters make a high income but Walters doesn't make anywhere near what Hufnagel does or what Chris Jones or Jim Popp did. 

Well think what you like. Unfortunately you don’t know who I know or what I know about professional football and specifically the CFL.  Your original statement said Assistant Coaches, not “rookies”... teams might hire some rookie intern to do grunt work, but if you check coaching rosters they are few and have between. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What a clown show by both the league & the Players... 

Signed contracts are to be submitted and registered within 24 hours of being signed. Unfortunately the practice of teams keeping “ contracts in the drawer “ still exists....Toronto recently got busted for it. Don’t blame the players. Contracts are signed in good faith by players.

3 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Well think what you like. Unfortunately you don’t know who I know or what I know about professional football and specifically the CFL.  Your original statement said Assistant Coaches, not “rookies”... teams might hire some rookie intern to do grunt work, but if you check coaching rosters they are few and have between. 

Rookie Coach= Running Back Coach. Ask Buck Pierce where he started. Mark Mueller. Or Nik Lewis.  They broke into the CFL as running back coaches. We all know Pierce did as well. Mark Mueller had little or no coaching experience but he was a U Sports qb. Fred Reid, former Bomber running back is the Argos backfield coach. He has no pro coaching experience. He was a HS head coach. There are other examples. RB Coach is considered entry level... on CFL teams. So, rookies. 

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Rookie Coach= Running Back Coach. Ask Buck Pierce where he started. Mark Mueller. Or Nik Lewis.  They broke into the CFL as running back coaches. We all know Pierce did as well. Mark Mueller had little or no coaching experience but he was a U Sports qb. Fred Reid, former Bomber running back is the Argos backfield coach. He has no pro coaching experience. He was a HS head coach. There are other examples. RB Coach is considered entry level... on CFL teams. So, rookies. 

Why do they get paid spit? You got it “no coaching experience”....and you get what you pay for. I guess that explains why all of a sudden you needed 12 coaches on a staff...lol.

3 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

It was a reply to your poor poor assistant coach post....try and keep up.

I never said anything like that. Especially about "poor, poor"  assistant coaches.  Those are your words & description. Not mine. Assistants  don't get paid huge bucks but it ain't spit. And they earn every penny. They're at the office before 6 am & leave in the evening during the season. Guys like Pierce, Reid, Lewis & Mueller were already knowledgeable about the game before they were hired . I just said that RB Coach is usually the way for these guys to get on staff as entry level coaches. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.cjme.com/2020/07/07/jamie-nye-six-games-is-better-than-nothing-or-at-least-thats-what-i-thought/#.XwSGA9ot6uM.twitter

Interesting take from Jamie Nye. I keep hearing fans of all sports including the CFL calling to "just cancel the season already". My take is I'd rather see all sports try to return with some form of modified season, knowing full well that may have to be stopped or modified again at any point. And for the CFL, I really think they need to try to have some type of season in 2020. The CFL just doesn't have the fan engagement in the big cities, and to some extent in the strong CFL cities, to sit out an entire year. 

6 hours ago, M.Silverback said:

https://www.cjme.com/2020/07/07/jamie-nye-six-games-is-better-than-nothing-or-at-least-thats-what-i-thought/#.XwSGA9ot6uM.twitter

Interesting take from Jamie Nye. I keep hearing fans of all sports including the CFL calling to "just cancel the season already". My take is I'd rather see all sports try to return with some form of modified season, knowing full well that may have to be stopped or modified again at any point. And for the CFL, I really think they need to try to have some type of season in 2020. The CFL just doesn't have the fan engagement in the big cities, and to some extent in the strong CFL cities, to sit out an entire year. 

Some sports are better equipped to waste their money on start up. The CFL isn’t one of them. NBA, NHL , Pro Soccer can’t even get to Camps and they have positive test problems. You think the CFL won’t? 

On 2020-07-07 at 4:30 PM, DR. CFL said:

Some sports are better equipped to waste their money on start up. The CFL isn’t one of them. NBA, NHL , Pro Soccer can’t even get to Camps and they have positive test problems. You think the CFL won’t? 

The CFL definitely will face the same issues every other pro league has and will. I hear you on the cost of starting up. But, there's also a big cost for the CFL not trying a start up. The fan base, TV deals, advertising, sponsorship just aren't as strong as the other leagues. If the CFL goes away for a year, they may not recover. No one cares about the CFL in Toronto and Vancouver now. Do you think they will a year from now, having not had a CFL game played for almost 2 years. I think the CFL would be pretty much dead in those cities then.

There's no great solution - trying to run a shortened season is going to be risky and cost teams money; punting on the season now is going to cost teams money and support. I think the optics are worse if they don't try at all. 

On 2020-07-07 at 6:40 AM, Tracker said:

To state the obvious- the expansion talks for the CFL are dead in the water for the foreseeable future.

Good. That would have been a circus. If they can't afford a barebones 22,000 seat stadium then the entire franchise would have been a disaster. I never sensed anyone was truly behind this from a potential fanbase, corporate support to all 3 levels of government. Maybe they should be looking at places like London, Ontario instead. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 hours ago, M.Silverback said:

The CFL definitely will face the same issues every other pro league has and will. I hear you on the cost of starting up. But, there's also a big cost for the CFL not trying a start up. The fan base, TV deals, advertising, sponsorship just aren't as strong as the other leagues. If the CFL goes away for a year, they may not recover. No one cares about the CFL in Toronto and Vancouver now. Do you think they will a year from now, having not had a CFL game played for almost 2 years. I think the CFL would be pretty much dead in those cities then.

There's no great solution - trying to run a shortened season is going to be risky and cost teams money; punting on the season now is going to cost teams money and support. I think the optics are worse if they don't try at all. 

You know who care about the CFL in Toronto and a Vancouver? TSN....if you don’t think that revenue in that TV deal is predicated on having teams in those markets you are mistaken. Hate those teams all you want that’s the marketing reality of the situation.

9 hours ago, M.Silverback said:

Maybe absence will make the heart grow fonder.