Free Agency Negotiating Window

Tomorrow is the inaugural start of the CFL Free Agency Negotiating Window.

There are a few things to like about this, not the least of which, is the standardization by which teams can communicate and potentially make binding offers with free agent prior to the formal free agency opening on Feb 11.

The interested team's specific player offers are submitted to the CFL and CFLPA between Feb 2nd (noon) and 9th (noon). Now it gets good, because all offers will then be shared with the rest of the CFL teams before each team gets 48 hrs to negotiate with their own players.The player has the final 2 hours to mull over all of their offers before making a decision.

Since this is the first go, I'm expecting glitches. Hopefully we're treated to some leaks along the way.

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost

Just now, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Tomorrow is the inaugural start of the CFL Free Agency Negotiating Window.

There are a few things to like about this, not the least of which, is the standardization by which teams can communicate and potentially making binding offers with free agent prior to the formal free agency opening on Feb 11.

The interested team's specific player offers are submitted to the CFL and CFLPA between Feb 2nd (noon) and 9th (noon). Now it gets good, because all offers will then be shared with the rest of the CFL teams before each team gets 48 hrs to negotiate with their own players.The player has the final 2 hours to mull over all of their offers before making a decision.

Since this is the first go, I'm expecting glitches. Hopefully we're treated to some leaks along the way.

https://www.cfl.ca/2020/01/31/free-agency-negotiating-window-explained/

20 hours ago, Floyd said:

Can you feel the excitement.

Players could be negotiating at this very moment! 

It's going to make next week a whole lot less dramatic. A bunch of signings will be announced when the window opens and then nothing will happen. At least under the old model they had to drag out some of the announcements to make it seem on the up-and-up. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Players could be negotiating at this very moment! 

It's going to make next week a whole lot less dramatic. A bunch of signings will be announced when the window opens and then nothing will happen. At least under the old model they had to drag out some of the announcements to make it seem on the up-and-up. 

Im not sure that that's not preferable. I'd rather have one big super day with all the signings.  If its now going to be a situation where there are many signings in the first couple hours TSN could do a broadcast and know that they will have a lot to talk about.  There's nothing worse then an NHL trade deadline broadcast with nothing but tumbleweed.

3DownNation reports that the first offer during the negotiating window has been submitted. It's a Stamps offer for OL Sean McEwen.

Even though there was no $ attached, I'm pleasantly surprised that it was made public. Hopefully there will be more to come.

Naylor claims to be hearing rumblings that Argos are going hard after Willie J. If this is true then they are going to have to submit a formal offer to the league/CFLPA. Once submitted, they are bound to it.

This means that they have to be more careful with their $ because they are on the hook for his offer. This potentially take them out of the running for other top talent until Willie's camp makes a decision. Anybody who makes an exorbitant offer for another team's free agents will run into the same risks. The BB don't have to offer a counter until the last 48 hours, so they are in the catbird seat.

On 2020-02-03 at 7:40 PM, JCon said:

Teams are at an advantage now because agents can't BS about the offers they're getting. 

I completely agree.   The window will allow the current team to see what formal offers their current player has before they are formally "lost".   It may give them the opportunity to match (or not) a real offer.   There is nothing to stop a player from waiting out to the deadline and then play games, but it will help in reducing the BS of the old system, especially for the players that do it straight up.     Under the new system a player who feels he isn't getting a fair deal can go out and get a real offer from another team and give his current team the opportunity to match.    Under the old system he could do that, but his current team had no way of knowing if it was real or a bluff.    Now the current team will know if there is a real offer there.

58 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I would like Walters to target Laing and Ackie to address the NAT on D. 

Never liked Laing, he had a reputation of being a dirty player earlier in his career, I don't know if that is still true. or not.  Also re-signed Jake  and have Connor Griffiths in waiting, what do they need Laing for?

The Argo D was near the bottom of the barrel in most categories including against the run, giving up an average of 118 yds/game compared to the Bombers 64 yds/game, if Laing is brought in to replace Nevis, I'd give it a big thumbs down.

Cause Laing is better than Thomas and Thomas is perfect guy to spell him off...and Griffiths is still an unknown

If we move on from Nevis and Thomas and Gruffiths are our tackle combo exclusively..we just become substantially weaker on defence

11 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Never liked Laing, he had a reputation of being a dirty player earlier in his career, I don't know if that is still true. or not.  Also re-signed Jake  and have Connor Griffiths in waiting, what do they need Laing for?

The Argo D was near the bottom of the barrel in most categories including against the run, giving up an average of 118 yds/game compared to the Bombers 64 yds/game, if Laing is brought in to replace Nevis, I'd give it a big thumbs down.

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

Cause Laing is better than Thomas and Thomas is perfect guy to spell him off...and Griffiths is still an unknown

If we move on from Nevis and Thomas and Gruffiths are our tackle combo exclusively..we just become substantially weaker on defence

With Thomas coming back, I just don't see them making any changes to the DL (with the exception of Willie J, of course...) I think things are going to look pretty much the same in 2020...

21 minutes ago, Booch said:

I agree with you and would be happy to see him sign here, but I don't see Laing coming to Winnipeg.

Yeah prob a pipe dream coming here...I actually hope we target a capable guy to play safety, and it be cheaper, and we bring back Nevis, and use the money it would take for Laing to be used to help lock down Willie...that would prob be at expense of Roh but I truly think McCallister is a star in waiting, and if anything offers more upside than Roh.

If we don't pick up a National DB for possible safety in free agency, I am thinking they are going to give Hallett and Exume every chance to grab that spot to be honest...if we have that solid upfront push on our DLINE like last year we can afford to groom a National safety not named Hecht...if the guy has speed and cover abilities (which both have) or at least the ability to offer over the top help...we should be fine...and also saves a whack of SMS $$ should someone come free after NFL camps close out

Edited by Booch