Thank you Matt Nichols

Blue_Dragoon

On 2020-01-29 at 5:55 PM, WBBFanWest said:

Best quarterback of the past decade!

when healthy, I'd say Buck was better, and also led them to a Grey Cup appearance, which Matt wasn't able to do!  EDIT:  just looked up Buck's stats from 2011, and they weren't that great.  So I guess Nichols was the better QB.  I just found Buck more exciting to watch!

good luck to him!  He definitely helped improve things, but you can't dispute that he owes Andrew Harris a big thanks for the juicy contract extension he was given.  Without Harris, no way Nichols stats look as good as they did in 2017 and beyond!

Edited by trueBlue83

12 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

when healthy, I'd say Buck was better, and also led them to a Grey Cup appearance, which Matt wasn't able to do!  EDIT:  just looked up Buck's stats from 2011, and they weren't that great.  So I guess Nichols was the better QB.  I just found Buck more exciting to watch!

good luck to him!  He definitely helped improve things, but you can't dispute that he owes Andrew Harris a big thanks for the juicy contract extension he was given.  Without Harris, no way Nichols stats look as good as they did in 2017 and beyond!

Did you not understand the thread title?

Beat it

1 minute ago, WBBFanWest said:

I've heard that Nik is a second-year student in the Creative Communications program at Red River College and a Winnipeg Blue Bombers season ticket holder.  

Correct. 

And honestly, he provides better insight with statistical evidence then any of the other writers following the Bombers. I can't imagine where he's going to be in 10 years when he gets more experience. 

Edited by JCon

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

The guys on 1290 keep bringing this article up,  while I mostly agree one point that annoys me is the reference to his play off play.    They keep bringing up 2016-2017 numbers while completely ignoring that the guy is no longer the same player as he was during those years. 

As I posted a long time ago his numbers were great until his first injury... since then it's plummeted and he has not look the same at all.  At this point their is no comparison. 

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Correct. 

And honestly, he provides better insight with statistical evidence then any of the other writers following the Bombers. I can't imagine where he's going to be in 10 years when he gets more experience. 

this was actually a decent blog for a young guy... shows more insight and knowledge than most of the beat writers that "cover" the Bombers...

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

I have no use for anyone that young and inexperienced when it comes to the history of the game. I have no doubts he's a nice kid, but a kid nonetheless.... all about "analytics", I'm sure...

Haha you just want crotchety old reports writing copy in a dim room with a cigarette and glass of scotch.

Personally, I think if he was given the opportunity last year we still would've been champs. Wish him all the best in his future endeavors... I suspect he'll land in Ottawa with Lapolice, but that's just me. Left everything on the field for this team and city - I hope he will tell his daughter fond stories of Winnipeg and how she got her middle name (Winnie) as he helped turnaround an otherwise floundering organization, and he was able to simultaneously resurrect his football career.

All the best.

On 2020-02-01 at 7:44 AM, Eternal optimist said:

Personally, I think if he was given the opportunity last year we still would've been champs. Wish him all the best in his future endeavors... I suspect he'll land in Ottawa with Lapolice, but that's just me. Left everything on the field for this team and city - I hope he will tell his daughter fond stories of Winnipeg and how she got her middle name (Winnie) as he helped turnaround an otherwise floundering organization, and he was able to simultaneously resurrect his football career.

All the best.

Well said.

On ‎2020‎-‎01‎-‎29 at 9:09 AM, Blue_Dragoon said:

Thank you for being instrumental in leading this team out of a dark place and playing a huge role in leading this team back to glory. I'm completely convinced we would not have developed the culture of success to be a perennial playoff team and winners of the Grey Cup this season without you.

Wherever you go from here I will always be a fan of yours and wish you nothing but success (except against the Bombers).

Signed,

A lifelong Winnipeg Blue Bomber fan

Now that you are officially gone, I will echo these thanks for your role as our QB on the field, but I'd also like to thank you for the person you were off the field. Making Winnipeg your home for your family, staying during the winter for promotional purposes, for the love you showed the community, even when that love was not returned by those who forgot that behind the player was a human being. And a HUGE thank you for your family's $10,000 donation to the Children's Hospital Foundation. You were first class all the way in my books, and I hope you have a happy, healthy, and successful continuation of your career in Toronto. You will always stand as a Grey Cup champion quarterback who helped end the drought for Winnipeg.