Thank you Matt Nichols

Blue_Dragoon

Thank you for being instrumental in leading this team out of a dark place and playing a huge role in leading this team back to glory. I'm completely convinced we would not have developed the culture of success to be a perennial playoff team and winners of the Grey Cup this season without you.

Wherever you go from here I will always be a fan of yours and wish you nothing but success (except against the Bombers).

Signed,

A lifelong Winnipeg Blue Bomber fan

I remember 2016 very well... the team was 1-4 (or about to be)... we were sitting in IGF and I said to my lifelong friend/fellow season ticket holder " I might be done, if this season continues like this, I don't think I'm coming back next year"... this was our 13th season has season ticket holders....

The next game in Edmonton, Matt Nichols was named as the starter over Drew Willy... a couple other changes were made too... Loffler started at S, Bond was moved to G and Hardrick at RT... and that started something different... that was the first day that the team became competitive and we finally saw the results of that last November...

Long story short... without Matt Nichols I am confident that Mike O'Shea and Kyle Walters would no longer be employed by the Bombers and we would not have seen the drought end in November... for that, all Bombers fans owe Nichols a huge amount of gratitude... some people did not love Matt's play over the past 12-18 months... which is fair... but you can't deny that he was one of the major reasons this team is where it is today.

Thank you Matt Nichols... all the best in the future... 

From my memory the day he started with us we also saw a massive improvement from the o-line on top of Nichols getting the ball out early.   

With Willy he seemed shell shocked and the o-line succccccked and he kept hanging on to the ball and getting drilled.

Pre first injury Nichols was really good,  confident,  would throw the ball down the field more often and definitely gave the receivers a chance for making plays.   He will be remembered in a positive light similar to Kevin Glenn.

We went through a lot of rough years and witnessed some awful QB play in games that were pretty tough to watch prior to Nichols arrival. Matty Ice will be remembered as being instrumental in turning this team around. Looking forward to seeing him have success with the next team.

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

can never say enough good things about Matt Nichols the QB and Matt Nichols the person. On and off the field, he was a fantastic Bomber and Manitoban. Sad to see him go, and hope he has several years of success in football yet!

Yup, his contributions to making this a contending, and winning, team are gigantic.

He stabilized the most important position and I will always be grateful of what he did here.

He deserves tons of respect, and a giant standing ovation as soon as we get the chance