Collaros signs 2 year deal

sweep the leg

45 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Just some thoughts on all of this.

Has anyone heard if Nichols has fully rehabbed the injury?

Could we be releasing Nichols until FA and then possibly re signing as a back up if he doeant garner any interest?

Can some of Collars's contract be some leftover cap space from 2019? 

there's no way Nichols would accept a backup role with the Bombers.  He very well could wind up a backup elsewhere, but there's no way he signs back here.  That bridge is burned at this point, and there's no way he's not bitter.

If no one offers him legit starter money, I won't be surprised.  If I'm Ottawa or Toronto, he's getting a performance bonus laden contract offer based on past performance and the unknown of his throwing arm. If he's going to balk at lowball offers + bonuses and expect a Collaros like payday, he's in for a rude awakening!

48 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Just some thoughts on all of this.

Has anyone heard if Nichols has fully rehabbed the injury?

Could we be releasing Nichols until FA and then possibly re signing as a back up if he doeant garner any interest?

Can some of Collars's contract be some leftover cap space from 2019? 

I kind of doubt there will be no interest. I don’t think he would take the backup job in Winnipeg unless there was literally no interest in him. I think he ends up either a starter or in a position to compete with a qb like MBT for the job. 

13 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Nichols is reported to be headed to Toronto tomorrow with a possible audition in Ottawa as well.

was noted today that as soon as the release was announced, Nichols agent immediately had calls from both Ottawa and Toronto. He'll be the Day 1 starter for one of those teams. He said on Twitter that he's ahead of schedule in his rehab and will be ready for the start of the season.

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

It's not always raw numbers. He looked in control of the offense and showed he looked like he belonged out there.

4 hours ago, Floyd said:

The same way Robert Marve and Joey Elliot did...

Yes you're absolutely right. I somehow lost track of all the Grey Cups Marve and Elliot won with the Bombers. Amazing how you group Collaros, Marve and Elliot as equals and proven winners.

6 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

I like the Collaros signing. He may have been the best option we had. And remember that a lot could happen within the 2 years of his contract: he could stay healthy and we could win another Grey Cup or he could miss significant time paving the way for someone else (like McGuire).

Even a healthy qb can suffer a devastating injury. Who's to say Fajardo won't suffer an extensive injury & miss significant playing time. Football is a collision sport. 

12 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Even a healthy qb can suffer a devastating injury. Who's to say Fajardo won't suffer an extensive injury & miss significant playing time. Football is a collision sport. 

Hey careful you might jinx the Riders by saying stuff like....oh right. Do carry on...

Isn't this what most of us wanted>?   So why the concern?  Injuries happen in football and you can't predict them.  Look at BLM last year.

I think this is the biggest signing of the off season and if we didn't sign him with the huge upfront money.  Some other team would have.  I'm glad it was us and not the Argos.

Strev will likely sign a deal and get a look in a training camp, but I just don't see him sticking anywhere other then maybe a practice roster. 

Taysom Hill is far more versatile in his skill set then Streveler is. I don't know if Streveler can be as effective in the run game and catching passes like Hill does . He likely won't wow them as a pure pocket passer either so I stuggle to see the fit there. I feel like the CFL is where he belongs. But hey, glad he's getting to chase his dream!! 

For everyone complaining about Collaros' contract, you need to realize that this is the price of a starting QB in the CFL these days. If we pursued Nichols or Arbuckle instead, we would be still be paying about the same amount.

That is, unless we wanted to go into the season with a total unknown like McGuire or a raw rookie.

6 hours ago, Blue and Gold87 said:

Strev will likely sign a deal and get a look in a training camp, but I just don't see him sticking anywhere other then maybe a practice roster. 

Taysom Hill is far more versatile in his skill set then Streveler is. I don't know if Streveler can be as effective in the run game and catching passes like Hill does . He likely won't wow them as a pure pocket passer either so I stuggle to see the fit there. I feel like the CFL is where he belongs. But hey, glad he's getting to chase his dream!! 

I tend to agree with you.  The problem with Streveler in the NFL is his style of running. He isn't smooth like Damon Allen. He's very fast and very strong.  In the NFL the openings are smaller and the players are bigger. In a very specific role as a 4th and short QB he might be able to help some teams.  Not sure he will be able to do much more than that in the NFL.

20 hours ago, Mike said:

I mean ... it seems like what is being forgotten in your entire argument is that we don't just decide what Collaros gets paid. He actually has to agree to it.

No, I freely admit that Collaros has to agree. So do we. We have the option to say let's talk some more if we don't like the deal or go in another direction if that doesn't work out. What were ZC's options really. Toronto had offered him a mostly incentive based contract, Ottawa...who knows? With the one week window in place with offer disclosure I would have been comfortable walking him and Nichols both into that window and seeing what other teams were willing to commit towards them. I think if we do that we still get Collaros at a friendlier structure to his contract.

Is it a gamble? Sure it is. No more of a gamble then rolling the dice on Collaros in the first place though.

Edited by GCn20

12 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

No, I freely admit that Collaros has to agree. So do we. We have the option to say let's talk some more if we don't like the deal or go in another direction if that doesn't work out. What were ZC's options really. Toronto had offered him a mostly incentive based contract, Ottawa...who knows? With the one week window in place with offer disclosure I would have been comfortable walking him and Nichols both into that window and seeing what other teams were willing to commit towards them. I think if we do that we still get Collaros at a friendlier structure to his contract.

Is it a gamble? Sure it is. No more of a gamble then rolling the dice on Collaros in the first place though.

How do you know this? And this would be tampering no?

And the risk you take there is losing both over possibly 20-30k and having to go into the season with someone completely unproven. Which is just a fantastic way to take advantage of your recent success and ability to sell season tickets. This is a business after all. Collaros will sell tickets. MBT/Nichols wouldn't have.

Letting either Nichols and/or Collaros get exposed to Free Agency is a big gamble in itself, but the uncertainty surrounding the QB position would have been amped up, and that’s not really something we need at this point. 
Besides, Walters made it very clear they wanted to get a salary figure for the QB position as soon as possible so they know the range of their salary commitments and the effect it has on pursuing free agents...especially our own, like Jefferson. The sooner they know about Jefferson, the better. 
It all clears a path to plan for whom they will pursue.

It all starts at QB.

9 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

How do you know this? And this would be tampering no?

And the risk you take there is losing both over possibly 20-30k and having to go into the season with someone completely unproven. Which is just a fantastic way to take advantage of your recent success and ability to sell season tickets. This is a business after all. Collaros will sell tickets. MBT/Nichols wouldn't have.

Toronto and Zack started talking number prior to his trade..The Popp got the axe...and talks stopped....then he got traded to the eventual Grey Cup Champs

6 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Letting either Nichols and/or Collaros get exposed to Free Agency is a big gamble in itself, but the uncertainty surrounding the QB position would have been amped up, and that’s not really something we need at this point. 
Besides, Walters made it very clear they wanted to get a salary figure for the QB position as soon as possible so they know the range of their salary commitments and the effect it has on pursuing free agents...especially our own, like Jefferson. The sooner they know about Jefferson, the better. 
It all clears a path to plan for whom they will pursue.

It all starts at QB.

Part of the QB thing getting done quickly too was to re-up a couple guys they have been talking already before free-agency starts....I wouldn't be surprised if we hear this week or next an extension for Nevis and Adams....with no effect on Willie money, as Kyle said they have money set aside for him as it stands as they have a pretty good idea what they will need, so they know pretty much what they have to work with for re-upping and free-agency

Honestly all i see us doing is targeting an established DB...be it an import, or guy who is National who can assume the safety role, possibly a high end Canadian D LINE guy who can start, one or the other as a "big ticket" and most likely a National guy for ST's and to fill in roster holes...

Edited by Booch