Collaros signs 2 year deal

sweep the leg

15 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

https://www.tsn.ca/winnipeg-blue-bombers-sign-qb-zach-collaros-to-two-year-extension-1.1433446

With Collaros signed, fellow Blue Bombers quarterback Matt Nichols is expected to hit free agency next month. Nichols had served as the team's starting quarterback since 2015 when suffered a season-ending shoulder injury in August. His agent said last week that Nichols was "a little bit upset" over the team's decision to prioritize signing Collaros. 

I can see why Matt is upset but this is business.  It's not personal. I was happy to hear what a team guy Nichols was in the QB room when Collaros was brought in, and I hope that he received a big playoff bonus cheque, because he deserved it. Now I wish him all the best in Ottawa with Lapo.

Yup, though sport sure can be a nasty business at times. Like may posters have said already, wish MN nothing but the best for him and his family. You wore the colours well.

27 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

. Collaros is a massive gamble. There is no sugar coating that. This could all very easily blow up in the Bombers face. 

What were our other options?

Arbuckle - Small sample size still un proven....

Nichols - Coming off yet another injury and wouldn't be ready for the start of the season.  Prone to injuries.

MBT - Healthy,  a bit nutty... has not shown enough to justify a massive contract. 

I could understand if we had options that were more healthy... but we don't so we did the best with what was available. 

Any QB that we could of brought in would be considered a gamble.   It's not like the early 90's where every off season their was a carousal of starting qbs that we could pick from... 

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

What were our other options?

Arbuckle - Small sample size still un proven....

Nichols - Coming off yet another injury and wouldn't be ready for the start of the season.  Prone to injuries.

MBT - Healthy,  a bit nutty... has not shown enough to justify a massive contract. 

I could understand if we had options that were more healthy... but we don't so we did the best with what was available. 

Any QB that we could of brought in would be considered a gamble.   It's not like the early 90's where every off season their was a carousal of starting qbs that we could pick from... 

MBT and Nichols could have easily gotten the Bombers to a 3rd place finish with a quick playoff exit. Could have been well worth the price!

Share of injuries yes, but not on the same level in terms of concern.

Games missed to injury:
Collaros: 38
Nichols: 29

Last 5 years:
Collaros: 27
Nichols: 11

Then there's the 3 concussions in the last 19 months.

Not criticizing this, but showing it's a bigger risk #Bombers https://twitter.com/Pauljigger/status/1221935566486306816 

Edited by TBURGESS

23 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Interesting that they looked at Arbuckle too.  Seems like they wanted to move on from Nichols.

Can we assume this is some big Buck influence too?  I assume he had a big say in who the QB should be...

I really don't think there is any conspiracy other than due diligence and a shoulder injury...

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Let me rephrase. I am not really too upset about the amount Collaros is earning. I think the signing bonus was absurd and way above what the market rate had already dictated.

And, of course, you are basing this on your in depth knowledge of all the facts and your years of experience managing a CFL team, right?

4 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I was a little surprised I didn't see any other Bomber players re-tweeting or tweeting about the Collaros signing. The active twitter guys like Bighill, Harris, Pierce, Hardrick, Bryant, etc, nothing. Hell Willie Jefferson re-tweeted the Vernon Adams signing but nothing about Collaros lol. Hopefully the guy is liked in the locker room.

How can he not be liked? 

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Nichols signing bonus in hindsight was definitely a mistake. However, he was at least healthy and without an extensive and staggering concussion history.

I mean ... it seems like what is being forgotten in your entire argument is that we don't just decide what Collaros gets paid. He actually has to agree to it.

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

What exactly did he demonstrate? He was like 12/19 for 150 yards or something like that. I like his potential too, but he didn't blow the roof off the joint in preseason by any stretch of the imagination.

It's not always raw numbers. He looked in control of the offense and showed he looked like he belonged out there.

22 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

It's not always raw numbers. He looked in control of the offense and showed he looked like he belonged out there.

He didn't need to light up the stats sheets...in every game he played..when opportunity was there for a deep shot..he took it and was generally succesful...and in the instances when we were backed up in a hole..he calmly got us out..with either a longer toss or some darn accurate mid level ones, he made no errors and leaned on our bread and butter...especially in the cold weather, which was that run game...he basically for 4 games played error free..smart and pretty surgical QB...

1 minute ago, Booch said:

He didn't need to light up the stats sheets...in every game he played..when opportunity was there for a deep shot..he took it and was generally succesful...and in the instances when we were backed up in a hole..he calmly got us out..with either a longer toss or some darn accurate mid level ones, he made no errors and leaned on our bread and butter...especially in the cold weather, which was that run game...he basically for 4 games played error free..smart and pretty surgical QB...

We couldn't really ask for a more suitable QB to help usher in a rookie OC. He is responsible and make up for a few shortcomings. I think Nichols would have suited the role too. But, I'll take the GC Champion. 

and apparently working with this offensive staff they encourage input from QB's and players for schemes..plays...and what they like/don't like and from all accounts Collaros is uber intelligent in regards to stuff, even from years ago, so having a QB in house who has a bit better skill set than Matt is no doubt gonna help the transition to Buck...I expect a pretty dynamic offense tihs year

The eye test IMO showed that McGuire seemed much more poised and polished then all the other pre season qbs that everyone over hyped.   Marve was only beloved because he could move and had a strong arm.... after years of limp noodle arm guys it was nice to see someone who didn't float every pass.  

9 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The eye test IMO showed that McGuire seemed much more poised and polished then all the other pre season qbs that everyone over hyped.   Marve was only beloved because he could move and had a strong arm.... after years of limp noodle arm guys it was nice to see someone who didn't float every pass.  

and Def Leppard (Joey Elliott) SHOULD have been something in this league, but had just a God-awful team around him. He could really have been a quality QB...