Collaros signs 2 year deal

sweep the leg

17 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

$225K is a huge bonus. Masoli for example got $175K. All of the bonus money is already gone from the SMS.

Bonuses don't get prorated over the season. Therefore, if Collaros goes on the 6 game, the $ saved are relatively small. It's the difference between 27.2K per game and 12K per game. {Whole salary / 18} vs {((Salary - Signing Bonus) /18) - (per game playing bonus) /18)) = 12K/game}

BLM got $300k signing bonus...  Reilly probably more

Vernon Adams and Fajardo are getting $415k in hard money - $450k next year I think...

Not sure what the panic is about $50k...  the guy just won us a grey cup.

8 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Vernon Adams and Fajardo are getting $415k in hard money - $450k next year I think...

exactly

1 hour ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I was a little surprised I didn't see any other Bomber players re-tweeting or tweeting about the Collaros signing. The active twitter guys like Bighill, Harris, Pierce, Hardrick, Bryant, etc, nothing. Hell Willie Jefferson re-tweeted the Vernon Adams signing but nothing about Collaros lol. Hopefully the guy is liked in the locker room.

Probably being PC for the sake of Matt Nichols.

25 minutes ago, Booch said:

exactly

If you are going to throw BLMs signing bonus out there, maybe you could toss out Masoli and Fajardo's as well. Both are way less than Collaros, without the concussion factor and so were their contracts  Hey drink that signing bonus pretty if you want to, but I will remain firmly entrenched it was an over pay. Even you yourself suggested that the Bombers wouldn't give him more than a 100k.

Edited by GCn20

52 minutes ago, CodyT said:

Not saying Mcguire won't be good but we literally say this about every back up quarterback we've ever had. Like every single one. Minus Goltz

No that's unfair. McGuire showed more last preseason than a lot of backups ever have. No idea if it will translate, but he showed all the tools and looked in control.

1 hour ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I was a little surprised I didn't see any other Bomber players re-tweeting or tweeting about the Collaros signing. The active twitter guys like Bighill, Harris, Pierce, Hardrick, Bryant, etc, nothing. Hell Willie Jefferson re-tweeted the Vernon Adams signing but nothing about Collaros lol. Hopefully the guy is liked in the locker room.

He is. I think it's out of respect for Nichols.

32 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Hey Willie J just won us the cup too...let's give him 300k per year, hey Andrew Harris are you up for a bump to 285k....let's reward them all. That's only 50k a year more than Micah got last year and about the same Walker got in Toronto. 50k here, 50k there, who cares.

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

No that's unfair. McGuire showed more last preseason than a lot of backups ever have. No idea if it will translate, but he showed all the tools and looked in control.

What exactly did he demonstrate? He was like 12/19 for 150 yards or something like that. I like his potential too, but he didn't blow the roof off the joint in preseason by any stretch of the imagination.

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

If you are going to throw BLMs signing bonus out there, maybe you could toss out Masoli and Fajardo's as well. Both are way less than Collaros, without the concussion factor and so were their contracts  Hey drink that signing bonus pretty if you want to, but I will remain firmly entrenched it was an over pay.

Fajardo is what 50k less..Masoli 40k...hardly a huge amount...Personally I dont agree on the size of the bonus, but if thats what they asked and weren't budging..so be it....or on the flip maybe nased on our surrent SMS..and i am sure have had talks with strev and willie on what they would want/if/when they returned I am sure Management was comfortable with that...I highly doubt they are gonna sign someone and screw themselves..there were other options out ther so not like he was the only choice

At what point do we start giving Kyle Walters the benefit of the doubt?... he's been the man for over 6 years now and in that time he has proven to be a shrewd and intelligent cap manager... I see no reason to believe Kyle would sign a contract that puts the team in a bad situation...

The best thing about this deal is it gives the team two more years to work on McGuire and (hopefully) Streveler to get the heir apparent ready...

3 minutes ago, bearpants said:

At what point do we start giving Kyle Walters the benefit of the doubt?... he's been the man for over 6 years now and in that time he has proven to be a shrewd and intelligent cap manager... I see no reason to believe Kyle would sign a contract that puts the team in a bad situation...

The best thing about this deal is it gives the team two more years to work on McGuire and (hopefully) Streveler to get the heir apparent ready...

Kyle has done well. Doesn't mean he doesn't screw up on occasion. Collaros is a massive gamble. There is no sugar coating that. This could all very easily blow up in the Bombers face. Hope it doesn't, but the denial of his concussion history in this thread is Riderfanesque, With that history should come a contract negotiation that reflects it....and that didn't happen.

Edited by GCn20

9 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

If you are going to throw BLMs signing bonus out there, maybe you could toss out Masoli and Fajardo's as well. Both are way less than Collaros, without the concussion factor and so were their contracts  Hey drink that signing bonus pretty if you want to, but I will remain firmly entrenched it was an over pay. Even you yourself suggested that the Bombers wouldn't give him more than a 100k.

And without the Grey Cup factor.

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Nichols got $225k in off-season bonus last year - that was a mistake too I guess...  yet somehow we won a grey cup without going over the cap

Nichols signing bonus in hindsight was definitely a mistake. However, he was at least healthy and without an extensive and staggering concussion history.

Edited by GCn20

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

It's not a justification, it's a factor. And "bad contract" is your opinion, not mine.

Let me rephrase. I am not really too upset about the amount Collaros is earning. I think the signing bonus was absurd and way above what the market rate had already dictated.

1 hour ago, CodyT said:

Not saying Mcguire won't be good but we literally say this about every back up quarterback we've ever had. Like every single one. Minus Goltz

That’s true. However there’s people who say every year we are going to win the Grey Cup.  At some point we gotta start trusting current management and coaching staff to know what they have in an up and coming qb.