Collaros signs 2 year deal

sweep the leg

10 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Collaros at $450K with a bunch of it as playing time bonuses is good value. At $490K with 225K of it as a signing bonus and only 50K in playing bonuses is a big difference.

The 225K signing bonus is off the SMS before a game is even played. If Collaros gets hurt in the first game like he did last year, the whole $225K is a cap loss. If he goes on the 6 game the SMS savings are based on his per game salary which is 225K less than his total salary. 

deleted.

Edited by bryan35

Legit don't get the griping about the "guaranteed" money, because that term has transitioned away from "cap hit" and nobody has really noticed. Collaros' injury risk is that he's going to miss significant time with a concussion - if that happens, whatever his cap hit is minus the signing bonus is off the cap anyways, because he'll be 6-gamed instantly.

I'll wait to see what his signing bonus was, but reality is that Walters and company understand the comparables and the financial implications way better than any of us do and they surely weren't in a position to have to pay way above market for Collaros. If his signing bonus is dead cap money because of an injury? Meh. That really doesn't matter too much because at that point, chances are our season is toast anyways and it's the same risk associated with ANY starting QB. You can't have one without paying big upfront dollars.

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

https://3downnation.com/2020/01/27/qb-zach-collaros-can-earn-nearly-1-million-from-new-contract-with-bombers/

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have signed quarterback Zach Collaros to a contract extension which could total nearly $1 million.

General manager Kyle Walters paid Collaros $440,000 in hard money for 2020 and $450,000 in 2021. Each year Collaros can make an additional $50,000 in playtime bonuses. For every game he plays 51 percent or more of the offensive snaps Collaros collects $2,777.77. The signing bonus checks in at $225,000.

Collaros earned $310,000 in hard money last season — $115,000 in base salary and $20,000 in housing combined with a $175,000 signing bonus. He was given a substantial pay raise of more than $130,000 in hard money year over year. Winnipeg decided to focus their efforts on inking Collaros to a new pact over fellow veteran QB Matt Nichols.

Nichols collected $455,000 in 2019 — a $225,000 roster bonus which was paid on January 15, $209,000 base salary and $21,000 combined for housing and travel. However, he sustained what Winnipeg described as a “significant shoulder injury” last August when he was strip-sacked by B.C. Lions defensive lineman Shawn Lemon.

Walters acquired Collaros at the trade deadline and it paid off with the veteran quarterback producing a 4-0 record, including three wins in the playoffs en route to hoisting Earl Grey’s mug. Collaros was the starter who propelled Winnipeg to the run through the end of the season, playoffs and ultimately a Grey Cup championship. Bombers’ head coach Mike O’Shea saw Collaros as ‘the guy’ during the victories which led to a CFL title.

Winnipeg sent their third-round choice in the 2020 CFL draft to the Toronto Argos for Collaros and a fifth-round selection during the October deadline. Now that the Bombers re-signed Collaros, Toronto receives an additional first-round pick, ninth overall in the 2020 CFL draft.

Collaros has amassed a 35-31 win-loss record while completing 65 percent of his passes for 16,979 yards and 94 touchdowns against 52 interceptions in 92 games over eight seasons. During three post-season games with the Bombers, Collaros totalled 630 passing yards, two touchdowns, one interception while completing 65 percent of his attempts.

The Bombers have heavily invested in Collaros as the starter at the game’s most important position for the next two seasons.

This would appear to be a "market rate" deal.   Puts him behind Reilly and BLM, but in line or better than everyone else.   I think it's a fair deal.

43 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The signing bonus is the cost of keeping Collaros from the market.

Really the options are Collaros or Nichols, and the Bombers are all-in on Collaros.  Now the question becomes how would Streveler fit in.  Basically we gotta hope he doesn’t come into the picture until the fall.  The Bombers don’t have the cap space to fit another money QB on the roster.

The other question moving forward is how we replace the production Streveler brought to the offense as the option QB.  Going to need a lot more from the downfield passing game I think.  

How do you know what their cap space is?...if you sign Strev to around 200k with playtime bonuses that easily fits into the SMS allotment

3 minutes ago, Jaxon said:

This would appear to be a "market rate" deal.   Puts him behind Reilly and BLM, but in line or better than everyone else.   I think it's a fair deal.

behind Harris as well, and pretty much in same ball park as Fajardo..and most likely Arbuckle...2 of whom haven't really proven much.

And for all we know Fajardo, and the way he plays could be a walking injury all the time too...no history on him yet, though we do know last year he had wonky obliques, and had a shoulder seperation the Rider's claim at some point...The guy that lost out on all this is Masoli for selling himself short

34 minutes ago, Noeller said:

only a complete ******* moron would think ANY team is going to trade with the Bombers for Nichols when we've clearly moved on and he's going to FA in two weeks, and the 1 week Pre-FA period begins on Sunday...

I dunno man the Redblacks might use Nichols for leverage in signing Arbuckle or they might decide that they want a sure thing (Lapo must have a thing for Nichols). If Ottawa is involved at all it might get Toronto off their butts to go for a "sure thing". 3rd round draft pick to own Nichols negotiating rights could be a thing

2 minutes ago, BBlink said:

I dunno man the Redblacks might use Nichols for leverage in signing Arbuckle or they might decide that they want a sure thing (Lapo must have a thing for Nichols). If Ottawa is involved at all it might get Toronto off their butts to go for a "sure thing". 3rd round draft pick to own Nichols negotiating rights could be a thing

I'm SURE both teams are hoping to land Arbuckle, and figure that Nichols will be their fall back plan. Nobody's gonna trade for him....it just doesn't make sense.

On the deal it self, the big risk is if collaros doesnt play enough games. If that happens, he hits the 6 game and it doesnt count any way. Unless he sits 5 games twice, his salary isnt a concern imo. 

If streveler does sign and NFL deal then things get interesting. do we make another move to get a vet back up? I dont see them going into camp with collaros no1 and mcguire no2. I also see some retreads on the market I hope we dont touch with a 10' pole. 

16 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

On the deal it self, the big risk is if collaros doesnt play enough games. If that happens, he hits the 6 game and it doesnt count any way. Unless he sits 5 games twice, his salary isnt a concern imo. 

If streveler does sign and NFL deal then things get interesting. do we make another move to get a vet back up? I dont see them going into camp with collaros no1 and mcguire no2. I also see some retreads on the market I hope we dont touch with a 10' pole. 

I'd suggest getting your glasses fixed ;)

They will bring in a few guys for TC. But I'd be very surprised if it isn't those two come week 1.

I am both glad this is done and scared at the same time. I was very quick to point and laugh at Sask for signing him last year and said he needs to just retire to protect what he has left up there. I really really hope he can shake the injury bug because I think hes a great QB.

Also he is the only undefeated QB in Bomber history! 

(This might not be true but I cant think of another QB to be undefeated in Blue and Gold lol)

46 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm SURE both teams are hoping to land Arbuckle, and figure that Nichols will be their fall back plan. Nobody's gonna trade for him....it just doesn't make sense.

Im sure you've said it yourself... Arbuckle is not even a 2nd year starting qb. Sophomore slumps happen. It's not easy to hinge your team to an inexperienced team. Hell, Hamilton doesn't want to. And Dane Evans has proven more

2 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

who’s gonna trade for him when he is a pending free agent and the free agency is in essence is like a week away?

Well..  Im looking at two players in the same situation.  If Toronto is going to prioritize Nichols over MBT then it would make sense for both team. However, I think Toronto would be foolish to do that. 

Its often talked about how Zach Collaros missed the majority of this season. And in reality he did.  But do we really know at what point he was healthy to play?  It seems like if he stayed in Toronto they wouldn't have played him at all and were just sitting on him healthy in order to avoid his cap hit. Magically right when the bombers got him he was 100% ready to go and looked totally fine out there. 

6 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

We needed a QB and now we have one.

Limited options.

Meh

So the season may very well come down to the capability of Mcguire. We needed to pick a qb and go with them.  It would have been great had there been assurances that Arbuckle or MBT were going to be available but ultimate we couldn't really consider one of those options as risk of losing both Nichols and Collaros. 

2 hours ago, Booch said:

How do you know what their cap space is?...if you sign Strev to around 200k with playtime bonuses that easily fits into the SMS allotment

Yeah that's a dream scenario.  I think if Streveler stays in the CFL it's going to be a tough bidding war with the Argos and Redblacks.  Bombers are mostly selling continuity and hoping he takes a bit of a discount.

33 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

So the season may very well come down to the capability of Mcguire. We needed to pick a qb and go with them.  It would have been great had there been assurances that Arbuckle or MBT were going to be available but ultimate we couldn't really consider one of those options as risk of losing both Nichols and Collaros. 

MBT is garbage and Arbuckle is a .500 QB who started 6 pro games.

I'll take Collaros.

https://www.tsn.ca/winnipeg-blue-bombers-sign-qb-zach-collaros-to-two-year-extension-1.1433446

With Collaros signed, fellow Blue Bombers quarterback Matt Nichols is expected to hit free agency next month. Nichols had served as the team's starting quarterback since 2015 when suffered a season-ending shoulder injury in August. His agent said last week that Nichols was "a little bit upset" over the team's decision to prioritize signing Collaros. 

I can see why Matt is upset but this is business.  It's not personal. I was happy to hear what a team guy Nichols was in the QB room when Collaros was brought in, and I hope that he received a big playoff bonus cheque, because he deserved it. Now I wish him all the best in Ottawa with Lapo.

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

only a complete ******* moron would think ANY team is going to trade with the Bombers for Nichols when we've clearly moved on and he's going to FA in two weeks, and the 1 week Pre-FA period begins on Sunday...

There may be a GM who looks at the possibly available QB's out there and decides that he had better scoop Nichols with a 3rd round pick instead of having to pick over whatever is left after the flurry of signings are over.

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

For insurance purposes, we need a veteran behind Collaros. I expect that is what'll happen.