Collaros signs 2 year deal

sweep the leg

as long as a whack isn't in the form of a bonus then really whats the big deal...and what starting QB (PROVEN)  are you gonna get for less...ah right...nobody

He gets hurt...his guaranteed money goes on the 6 game and we don't get burned...no way he gets 225k250k upfront like him and Nichols got last year

36 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Nichols was $455K last year and that was overpaid. Collaros is $490K. That's below Reilly, BLM and Harris. Is Collaros, especially considering his injury history, the 4th best QB in the league?

Only $50K in playtime bonuses considering the concussion issues is dumb IMO.

I think we overpaid, but I'd rather have Collaros than Nichols.

Not sure how much of a difference it makes in terms of the cap. I mean. If he gets a significant injury you put him on the extended injury list and save a bunch of cap space. The key is how much of it was paid out in a bonus. Let’s say he had signed and half was playtime bonus you’d still have to budget for that playtime bonus being paid out until such time as he got injured. 

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Gotta have faith that Walters knows what he's doing, but I agree...that's a lot of up front cash.

No upfront cash has been reported as of yet... just a salary that doesn't depend on in game performance/number of games started.

In the end the amount tied to bonuses either doesn't matter (because he gets them for playing all year) OR it's purely a books loss (rather than against the teams cap) because he gets 6-gamed.

1 minute ago, M.O.A.B. said:

who’s gonna trade for him when he is a pending free agent and the free agency is in essence is like a week away?

It’s unlikely to happen. But let’s say Toronto was interested in Nichols and wanted to get that done early so they can know where they are at heading into free agency it would make a degree of sense. But yeah it won’t happen.  It wasn’t intended as an overly serious comment. 

Just now, Brandon said:

If Toronto doesn't pay Nichols starter money then he will have to sign for backup money. I'm guessing own year deal maybe even with us.

Personally I would not pay him starters money if I’m Toronto. I would sign mbt and Nichols.  But with feb 2nd (tampering window) coming up pretty soon here Toronto will also have the chance to speak to Arbuckle unless Ottawa signs him.  If Ottawa misses out on Arbuckle I could see them actually spending quite a bit to get Nichols. 

The signing bonus is the cost of keeping Collaros from the market.

Really the options are Collaros or Nichols, and the Bombers are all-in on Collaros.  Now the question becomes how would Streveler fit in.  Basically we gotta hope he doesn’t come into the picture until the fall.  The Bombers don’t have the cap space to fit another money QB on the roster.

The other question moving forward is how we replace the production Streveler brought to the offense as the option QB.  Going to need a lot more from the downfield passing game I think.  

Now that we settled the qb. situation...at least a part of it...cuz I still think Streveler will return to fill out the lethal combo we had...I like the idea of McGuire in the wings and that's a good thing...Matt will most likely see what's out there in fa BUT there's no doubt he would've preferred to remain here...Unless he's willing to reduce his ask, that probably won't happen soooooo it's likely Nichols is going to move on...We've sent a message today that our qb. situation has stabilized...now I'm waiting for some more key signings like Nevis and Willie if in fact he's returning to the CFL...Walters is definitely on his game so far

2 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Now that we settled the qb. situation...at least a part of it...cuz I still think Streveler will return to fill out the lethal combo we had...I like the idea of McGuire in the wings and that's a good thing...Matt will most likely see what's out there in fa BUT there's no doubt he would've preferred to remain here...Unless he's willing to reduce his ask, that probably won't happen soooooo it's likely Nichols is going to move on...We've sent a message today that our qb. situation has stabilized...now I'm waiting for some more key signings like Nevis and Willie if in fact he's returning to the CFL...Walters is definitely on his game so far

Nevis/Willie/Adams and I'm satisfied.

23 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

It’s unlikely to happen. But let’s say Toronto was interested in Nichols and wanted to get that done early so they can know where they are at heading into free agency it would make a degree of sense. But yeah it won’t happen.  It wasn’t intended as an overly serious comment. 

If there were multiple teams looking at signing Nichols you could probably get something for him. But Toronto must know that nobody else is clamoring for him.

26 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Personally I would not pay him starters money if I’m Toronto. I would sign mbt and Nichols.  But with feb 2nd (tampering window) coming up pretty soon here Toronto will also have the chance to speak to Arbuckle unless Ottawa signs him.  If Ottawa misses out on Arbuckle I could see them actually spending quite a bit to get Nichols. 

no one is offering Matt anywhere near what he made last year.  At this point, if you're Ottawa or Toronto, there's no need to make a knee-jerk signing.  If Ottawa can't land Arbuckle, then you have to wait and see where he goes before you do anything on the Nichols front.   And to think Nichols could even ask for top starter money, that's his agent wishing now.   Teams have leverage over him in negotiations.  Will be interesting to see if he can accept that he's not the superstar QB he thinks he is.  He sure made it known a couple weeks ago that he wasn't happy he wasn't the Bombers priority, and other teams will look at Walters assessment of the talent, electing to sign an injury prone QB with upside over an injury prone QB who I believes best days are behind him.   Matt was a good team guy, but I don't see him coming back here.   To paraphrase Paul Maurice, there are some ruffled feathers now!

44 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Arbuckle is asking for 450K, he likely gets more. Fajardo is around 450K IIRC. This is the standard market rate for a good but not great starting QB. 

Not to mention that Collaros is a big upgrade over Nichols. 

Collaros at $450K with a bunch of it as playing time bonuses is good value. At $490K with 225K of it as a signing bonus and only 50K in playing bonuses is a big difference.

34 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Not sure how much of a difference it makes in terms of the cap. I mean. If he gets a significant injury you put him on the extended injury list and save a bunch of cap space. The key is how much of it was paid out in a bonus. Let’s say he had signed and half was playtime bonus you’d still have to budget for that playtime bonus being paid out until such time as he got injured. 

The 225K signing bonus is off the SMS before a game is even played. If Collaros gets hurt in the first game like he did last year, the whole $225K is a cap loss. If he goes on the 6 game the SMS savings are based on his per game salary which is 225K less than his total salary. 

only a complete ******* moron would think ANY team is going to trade with the Bombers for Nichols when we've clearly moved on and he's going to FA in two weeks, and the 1 week Pre-FA period begins on Sunday...

Edited by Noeller

https://3downnation.com/2020/01/27/qb-zach-collaros-can-earn-nearly-1-million-from-new-contract-with-bombers/

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have signed quarterback Zach Collaros to a contract extension which could total nearly $1 million.

General manager Kyle Walters paid Collaros $440,000 in hard money for 2020 and $450,000 in 2021. Each year Collaros can make an additional $50,000 in playtime bonuses. For every game he plays 51 percent or more of the offensive snaps Collaros collects $2,777.77. The signing bonus checks in at $225,000.

Collaros earned $310,000 in hard money last season — $115,000 in base salary and $20,000 in housing combined with a $175,000 signing bonus. He was given a substantial pay raise of more than $130,000 in hard money year over year. Winnipeg decided to focus their efforts on inking Collaros to a new pact over fellow veteran QB Matt Nichols.

Nichols collected $455,000 in 2019 — a $225,000 roster bonus which was paid on January 15, $209,000 base salary and $21,000 combined for housing and travel. However, he sustained what Winnipeg described as a “significant shoulder injury” last August when he was strip-sacked by B.C. Lions defensive lineman Shawn Lemon.

Walters acquired Collaros at the trade deadline and it paid off with the veteran quarterback producing a 4-0 record, including three wins in the playoffs en route to hoisting Earl Grey’s mug. Collaros was the starter who propelled Winnipeg to the run through the end of the season, playoffs and ultimately a Grey Cup championship. Bombers’ head coach Mike O’Shea saw Collaros as ‘the guy’ during the victories which led to a CFL title.

Winnipeg sent their third-round choice in the 2020 CFL draft to the Toronto Argos for Collaros and a fifth-round selection during the October deadline. Now that the Bombers re-signed Collaros, Toronto receives an additional first-round pick, ninth overall in the 2020 CFL draft.

Collaros has amassed a 35-31 win-loss record while completing 65 percent of his passes for 16,979 yards and 94 touchdowns against 52 interceptions in 92 games over eight seasons. During three post-season games with the Bombers, Collaros totalled 630 passing yards, two touchdowns, one interception while completing 65 percent of his attempts.

The Bombers have heavily invested in Collaros as the starter at the game’s most important position for the next two seasons.